Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a white 2007 tundra that I purchased 6 months ago. While washing it today I noticed lots of small specks of rust on the tailgate and above the rear wheels. They are hardly noticeable unless you are looking really hard. How do I stop this for getting worse and how can I fix it. Thanks!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Are you saying you have exposed areas of metal that are rusting? Or you have just random spots where there is rust? Can you provide pics?

It's possible that you're seeing contaminants in the paint rusting and that a good wash/claybar/wax may clear it up.

Reactions: cypilot32

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Are you saying you have exposed areas of metal that are rusting? Or you have just random spots where there is rust? Can you provide pics?

It's possible that you're seeing contaminants in the paint rusting and that a good wash/claybar/wax may clear it up.
Here is a pic, I hope it's just a contaminat.

http://i.imgur.com/oGyLTfW.jpg

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Yep. commonly called "rail dust" can be cause from brake dust or road debris.

I have it on my black truck this spring. winter was a bitch here, it just snowed, melted, snowed, melted, snowed, melted, non stop. salt everywhere... sucked.

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts
Yeah, super easy fix. Head to the auto parts store and pick up a clay bar kit. Mothers and Clay Magic are commonly found there. Cut the bar into 4 pieces, wash the truck as you normally would, then rinse. Next mix a fresh solution of soap and water and use that as the lube for the clay. Take one of your pieces and fold it flat, lube a panel very well with your wash solution and gently glide the clay back and forth over the panel in the direction that the wind would flow over it of the truck were moving. On a white truck you'll easily be able to see the specks coming out of the paint. Use plenty of lube and work from panel to panel until you've got them all out. If you drop a piece on the ground...throw it out.

You'll have to wax or seal the paint afterwards.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I got the same problem.
Definitely shows up on white quicker then others.
Let me know how the clay bar and wax goes.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Just clay bared and waxed my white truck yesterday. Had some of those spots, clay bar removed them with a little elbow grease.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Yeah, super easy fix. Head to the auto parts store and pick up a clay bar kit. Mothers and Clay Magic are commonly found there. Cut the bar into 4 pieces, wash the truck as you normally would, then rinse. Next mix a fresh solution of soap and water and use that as the lube for the clay. Take one of your pieces and fold it flat, lube a panel very well with your wash solution and gently glide the clay back and forth over the panel in the direction that the wind would flow over it of the truck were moving. On a white truck you'll easily be able to see the specks coming out of the paint. Use plenty of lube and work from panel to panel until you've got them all out. If you drop a piece on the ground...throw it out.

You'll have to wax or seal the paint afterwards.
Good advice here. I have noticed the same spots on my truck. I also have noticed some dull spots on the hood. I know this is a problem on super white tundras, I just don't think it is bad enough that the dealer would do anything about it. I'm gonna try the clay bar out this weekend if weather permits

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Reactions: jwoutdoors

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have this issue too. I had never heard of rail dust before.

Haven't had the truck a year yet, took it to dealer and they said it's not covered under the warranty as it is considered 'environmental', however, they will take care of it for me. Hopefully I can leave it with them for a day next week and it'll be like new again.

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts
I have this issue too. I had never heard of rail dust before.

Haven't had the truck a year yet, took it to dealer and they said it's not covered under the warranty as it is considered 'environmental', however, they will take care of it for me. Hopefully I can leave it with them for a day next week and it'll be like new again.

Why waste a whole day with your truck at the dealer? You can fix this yourself in about 20 minutes, and you'll do a much better job than they ever would. This is a very simple fix.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Jumbo, i queried in a diff thread and you recommended some iron cut type product. is that gonna be easier than clay? My spots are more numerous....Thanks for all your help and advice.....awesome help!

Attachments

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
yea, let the dealer play with it and the paint will likely never be the same.

At least it is white, and you won't see the swirls and whatnot from them as much.

Reactions: Jumbo Jet

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts
Jumbo, i queried in a diff thread and you recommended some iron cut type product. is that gonna be easier than clay? My spots are more numerous....Thanks for all your help and advice.....awesome help!

Yes, you could use Aquartz Iron Cut before the clay, but you'll still need to clay afterwards. Iron Cut will eat away and loosen up the deep deposits, then clay will take out the remaining particles.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Good advice here. I have noticed the same spots on my truck. I also have noticed some dull spots on the hood. I know this is a problem on super white tundras, I just don't think it is bad enough that the dealer would do anything about it. I'm gonna try the clay bar out this weekend if weather permits

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
The dull spots on the hood are not just on tundras, there are on a lot of models in the toyota line. I have seen them on the camry, 4runner, and prius. I clean them with a light compound, polish, and then paint sealant and then watch it each time I wash. I do auto detailing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts