Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 5.7 Tundra Limited / 120,000 kms.

Truck has never had issues- Began to stall all of a sudden at idle and when driving.
Truck cannot drive. Stalls out. If I trick it in to stay running.... it will run completely normally until I let off of the gas or it shifts and it idles to stall while putting floor through the floor... just like it is out of gas.

30 Litres in tank

No error codes other than Stall History

Assumed fuel pump. Installed new fuel pump (twice actually).
No change.
Verified fuel pressure regulator operates and relieves ~ 50 psi.
All fuel lines inspected and blown out.
Break lines at rail and return lines under truck and flows like crazy.
All normal sources inspected many times.
Feels like after a minute of idle it just coughs itself off.
A/F sensors are showing what they should.
Truck acts like it is out of fuel... shuts off and then starts right back up and after about 60 seconds... begins to stall and burble out...
Limped truck to mechanic... Snap-on scanner shows nothing other than stalls in fault history (same as my BlueDriver scanner).
Cannot get appointment at Toyota for 3 weeks.

I will pay for help.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Videos:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Had a similar thing happen to a ‘93 Honda Civic. Gas was old. Wasn’t filled for almost two months. Limped it to a Chevron station (better fuel but $$$) and filled it up. Fixed it. Still miss that car!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Just running threw same issue! gas tank 1/2 full!
Engine dies out restart runs 30 seconds and dies. What did they find on your truck?I have a 2012 5.7 ltr.
Oh no codes throttle plate dirty has been cleaned. problem went completely away by itself.
Please pass on what was found with your truck I dis notice your gas gauge is low.
Jim

·
Registered
311 Posts
If the above doesn’t work, how about checking the PCV valve or the fuel mixture adjustment if you have a Flex Fuel truck. Will say it on your right bottom corner of your tailgate if so. Just throwing ideas your way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Engine dies out restart runs 30 seconds and dies. What did they find on your truck?I have a 2012 5.7 ltr.
Oh no codes throttle plate dirty has been cleaned. problem went completely away by itself.
Please pass on what was found with your truck I dis notice your gas gauge is low.
Jim
Hi Jim -

Towed truck to dealership yesterday. There is currently a one week backlog to have someone see it.

I will bet you it will get the "well it must be the ECM" troubleshooting methodology ? Hope I am wrong.

I was able to connect with Techstream on my own... showed nothing other than the 1603 & 1605 DCTs ...

Incredibly frustrating... But I have chosen to drive Toyota's for 20 years with great reliability history because I want to choose what I work on (bikes & older vintage stuff).

I find it hilarious that no one is chiming in on this forum... especially with the videos. If I posted a problem like this on a motorcycle forum... there would be dozens of replys every day. That speaks to Toyota's (and/or their drivers?).

Thanks for chiming in.
Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the above doesn’t work, how about checking the PCV valve or the fuel mixture adjustment if you have a Flex Fuel truck. Will say it on your right bottom corner of your tailgate if so. Just throwing ideas your way.
Thanks for any ideas - not a Flex truck and PCV even completely missing or plugged cannot cause a running truck to stall in my opinion. Fuel mixture items are all controlled by ECU and the A/F sensors are confirmed repeatedly to be running on both banks are they should be (verified through OBD II scanners)

Thanks for any help !

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’m very interested on this issue as I have a 2011 CM/RW with 88K miles on it although i have not experienced it. The start/stall being described appears to be fuel delivery issues or fuel in itself. Awhile back I experienced stalling after few seconds, will start again then dies and found out my daughter put diesel instead of gas on a Miata. Hoping that was nit your issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m very interested on this issue as I have a 2011 CM/RW with 88K miles on it although i have not experienced it. The start/stall being described appears to be fuel delivery issues or fuel in itself. Awhile back I experienced stalling after few seconds, will start again then dies and found out my daughter put diesel instead of gas on a Miata. Hoping that was nit your issue.

yikes !

I can assure you (because I had the tank on and off 4 times)... that it is fresh gas with a flavour shoot of Seafoam... Tank is pristine, the gas was formed over 100 million years ago in the Mesozoic age but it came out of a pump a few days ago...

I am completely baffled (and so is at least one other certified journeyman AST).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Cat converter starting to clogged? Take a temp check on the exhaust pipe, before and after the catalytic converter if there's a big difference then it could be clogged.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That is very interesting Never thought of the converter. Will call Toyota! They have it now. Also it seams that it all started when I went to take a turn in the road.
They have had it several days now. still nothing found.
Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Catalytic converters plug over time and kill the power and strangle it to death slowly. I have had it happen in a few cars of my own in the past (and yes, I just cut the tops off of them and cleared them out and reinstalled them :).

I am suspecting something on the ignition side is very oddly not making sense in my case... 2 weeks of troubleshooting and I have tapped-out.

It is at the dealership now. I was able to see absolutely nothing ... Using the Techstream software no codes other than stall history are shown... even when using the freeze-data module I was not able to see what is shutting the truck down. Again, watch the videos... it starts up perfectly strong and sounds and idles absolutely normal on each time it starts... Runs 60 seconds and then stalls.

I'll let you know what they say...

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
8 Posts
Jim
Exact same thing for me was constantly stalling till I cleaned the throttle body and MAF sensor then ran like a top.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2013 5.7 Tundra Limited / 120,000 kms.

Truck has never had issues- Began to stall all of a sudden at idle and when driving.
Truck cannot drive. Stalls out. If I trick it in to stay running.... it will run completely normally until I let off of the gas or it shifts and it idles to stall while putting floor through the floor... just like it is out of gas.

30 Litres in tank

No error codes other than Stall History

Assumed fuel pump. Installed new fuel pump (twice actually).
No change.
Verified fuel pressure regulator operates and relieves ~ 50 psi.
All fuel lines inspected and blown out.
Break lines at rail and return lines under truck and flows like crazy.
All normal sources inspected many times.
Feels like after a minute of idle it just coughs itself off.
A/F sensors are showing what they should.
Truck acts like it is out of fuel... shuts off and then starts right back up and after about 60 seconds... begins to stall and burble out...
Limped truck to mechanic... Snap-on scanner shows nothing other than stalls in fault history (same as my BlueDriver scanner).
Cannot get appointment at Toyota for 3 weeks.

I will pay for help.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Videos:

Did you change the battery, you need to reset your idle control
Here is the video

·
Registered
08 Tundra TRD Off Road
1 Posts
Hi Jim -

Towed truck to dealership yesterday. There is currently a one week backlog to have someone see it.

I will bet you it will get the "well it must be the ECM" troubleshooting methodology ? Hope I am wrong.

I was able to connect with Techstream on my own... showed nothing other than the 1603 & 1605 DCTs ...

Incredibly frustrating... But I have chosen to drive Toyota's for 20 years with great reliability history because I want to choose what I work on (bikes & older vintage stuff).

I find it hilarious that no one is chiming in on this forum... especially with the videos. If I posted a problem like this on a motorcycle forum... there would be dozens of replys every day. That speaks to Toyota's (and/or their drivers?).

Thanks for chiming in.
Mike
Those codes aren't nothing, bad O2 sensors.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'm thinking something with the throttle body and MAF. If not that possibly related to the dread AIP (air induction pump issue?) Sounds basic but before running ECM did you try unplugging battery cables for a few minutes and then hook back up? Might help reset electronics. The only weird crap I've seen with my 08 tundra 4x4 5.7L is 3 random times (50k miles apart) it would start in 4L and act like it was stuck in 4L without putting into 4L. In that case you just shift into N and flip into 4H. Drive it for a few feet then shift into N put back into 2wd.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Check for clogged injectors?
Check for cats clogged?
Clean / replace maf and clean throttle body?
Check for good spark at all loads?

You've done everything else.
If after the above it still isn't fixed, ecm issue most likely.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Catalytic converters plug over time and kill the power and strangle it to death slowly. I have had it happen in a few cars of my own in the past (and yes, I just cut the tops off of them and cleared them out and reinstalled them :).

I am suspecting something on the ignition side is very oddly not making sense in my case... 2 weeks of troubleshooting and I have tapped-out.

It is at the dealership now. I was able to see absolutely nothing ... Using the Techstream software no codes other than stall history are shown... even when using the freeze-data module I was not able to see what is shutting the truck down. Again, watch the videos... it starts up perfectly strong and sounds and idles absolutely normal on each time it starts... Runs 60 seconds and then stalls.

I'll let you know what they say...

Thanks everyone
Any good news on your issue?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts