Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Fellas,

In researching the SC Truck before I bought it, I read a bunch about having it fully warmed up before getting on it. As such, I have always been careful to fully warm up the truck good and hot it but the other night as I was getting on the freeway, a hopped up mustang got my attention and I forgot that the truck wasn't all the way warm.

As I stood on it, the truck did what it always does and took off like a bat outta hell! then after a second or 2, it was as if it ran outta gas or couldn't get air and went limp! Check engine light came on. The throttle felt 'empty' and the engine kind'a burped if I didn't press the gas pedal down a certain degree. I was on the freeway and there was nowhere to pull over so I babied it to the next exit and pulled over. Shut it off for a minute and it started right back up and acted normal.

Kind'a paranoid that I did something to it. Any experience with such a SC / Engine shut-down or limp mode? Any chance of something getting messed up? Thanks in advance for the advice.
BA

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,231 Posts
I know the dealer has the ability to tell me I put the wrong key in the ignition three weeks before I took it in. They gotta be able to tell you about an event like that.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Thats good information to know. I've never experienced it on my own truck yet, so I guess I must just be babying the truck in the morning. At least I'll know now if it ever happens.

·
Registered
939 Posts
This can happen even if truck is warm. ECU senses excessive acceleration (or something like that) and goes into limp mode, won't happen if all traction control is off. Did not cause a check engine light to go on though when it happened to me.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Have had my supercharger on for two years/42K miles. Had it happen twice before to my truck but never pulled the code. Truck went into limp mode and turned it off and back on again and no issue.

Recently. it finally happened to me when it was really cold out and I hammered on the gas. Check engine light came on. I pulled the code and it was cylinder 1 misfire. No other issues since. Bottom line is let the engine fully warm before stomping on the skinny pedal

·
Registered
666 Posts
also check the vaccum cap (whatever it's called). it's a plastic cap on the side of manifold. i think it happened to me once that it went limp on me and running sluggish with Engine light on. it turned out to be a vaccum cap was cracked due to heat & cold. you can get the caps from any auto store for like $5.. i had to replace it a few times and the last time i replaced it, i wrapped the cap with some duct tape and it has been good for about a year now.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
well, there is a possibility that the engines ecu which takes many more readings than they used to maybe is just saying eph u, and putting the brakes on your fun in favor os self preservation...

i know that if i get on my non s/c truck when its cold it does not perform nearly as well as it does when its warm... when not up to temp it granny shifts, it has less throttle response...

when your running boost, you can heat things up fast...

in most cases, when you heat something up too fast it can cause 4 corner seizure, known as a cold seize...
i havent really seen a 4 cycle with this issue, buy many 2 cycles i have torn down have had this, typically snowmobiles and jetski's...

all 4 cycles i have had i always let warm up fully.

i know my jetta which was turbo'd was a pus when it was cold, no balls, but there was also a chip that would raise boost levels, so it was computer controlled... chances are it just didn't allow full boost when cold.

the cyl 1 and i thing cyl 4 misfire are common, i remember reading someone that has had the same issue several times, however, no one ever asked if it was up to temp...

i think he lives in the sand if i recall right...

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
misfire could be the plug fails to fire under boost ( it is harder to fire under compression, takes more voltage) could be that the coil just cuts out as a safety due to engine or oil temps or something.

could be it fires late, i dunno exactly what it does.

its a misfire. where it misses to fire correctly... could be many variables.

in short, the gdamned thing didnt do what it was supposed to because either the computer said no or something else just wasnt in the correct parameters lol.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
alright... so I dragged my sorry sleepy a$$ to the dealership at 7:30 this morning. They guys went to work and plugged into the ECU and came back with the infamous Cyl 1 misfire!:eek:

According to the Tech, when the temperature is not at the right range and you stomp on it, the ECU has been programed to cut the spark on Cyl 1. He stated that part of the ECU flash that comes with the SC install kit is that bit of programing.

Either way, a simple recycling of the ECU by turning off and on like you all had mentioned fixes the deal and Bob's your uncle!:D

Lesson learned.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts