Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

· Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Almost a month ago, on the 27th of March, I was on my way to the track down at Palm Beach. Going 85 MPH on the I-95 (15 over the speed limit) I came up behind two semi trucks on the right lane (They were going 70-75 MPH), I didn't tailgate or anything and I always keep one and a half to two cars length between me and any car in front of me. Anyway, I turn on my left turn signal and move to the left lane to pass the trucks. I was around 5 to 6 car lengths behind him when I switched lanes.

I started passing the first truck. and all was well until I got behind the truck's cab. That's when the SOB decided to take over the truck in front of him. With me in his blind spot, he switched lanes and hit my front passenger fender with his bumper. He hit me so hard that my glasses flew out of my face. I didn't know what hit me and I lost control of my truck. After swerving across the highway, I went sideways facing the right side of the road. All this time I was worried about my truck and the new plasti-dip paint job I just did. I thought it's okay, its just the bumper he hit. I was almost out of the road, and BAM! The same truck hit the bed and rear wheel on the passenger side. That hit made me face the opposite way, but luckily I was off the road.

Thank god I didn't roll over, or I might be in a hospital right now. I stayed in my truck for 5 minutes trying to grasp what just happened. By the time I did and found my glasses on the floor, the police were already here. The semi driver said he didn't see me and was given a careless driving ticket. I tried to drive my truck back, but everything was out of balance and I can't drive slower than 50 MPH on the I-95. We exchanged insurance policies and told my insurance to get me a towing truck.

Later that evening, I dropped the truck at the closest dealership, Toyota of Melbourne. Next morning I got a call and I told them everything. Mike, who works there helped me a lot since this is my first time being in this situation. He let me wipe off the three month old drag number, and give him the rear brake calipers. When the insurance examiner came to see the truck, he told them my truck was leaking fluid and the had to remove the rear calipers and block the brake lines. I also didn't have my passenger seat installed, which luckily kept the air bags from deploying and causing another problem.

The after math: my rear axle was bent, rear passenger wheel is damaged along with the tire, front passenger fender is dented badly, The whole right side of the bed was destroyed. That was just what we could assume by looking at it.

A week later, the examiner estimated the fixing cost at $3.7K. It was too good to be true. Two days later, the dealership found that the whole bed brackets are bent and it needs to be replaced completely. Also, there was a chance the frame might be bent as well and it's a $600 job to check and see if something is wrong with it. The passenger headlight needs to be replaced. Plus they corrected the value of the rear wheel from $300 to $800 not to mention all the small stuff. The dealer's new estimate was almost $14K including all that!

It's been almost two weeks since then and the insurance is really considering to count it as a total loss. I thought about getting another truck with the money, but most of them are at the $18K range and the insurance valued my truck for less than $16K! I would still need to pay the labor to transfer all the parts from my truck to the new one and I'd be down at least $5000 and a lot of wasted time going this route. I've called a few dealerships and they seem to think that a supercharger install is a 20 hour job and is gonna cost more than $2000!!!

I called the dealership today, and Mike told me he got the green light to check the frame for any damage and they are trying to find a way to lower the estimate as much as possible. I'm hoping to get an answer this week about whether it's gonna get totaled or not.

There is no way I'm gonna let them total my truck, and I'll try everything before giving up on it.

The biggest chunk of money in the estimate is used up by the new bed. They say they were not able to find a used bed for my truck and thus need a new $6K bed for it. I know RCSB Tundra's are rare and it would be almost impossible to find a used bed for one, but don't double cabs have the same bed? I'm sure there are plenty of double cab beds in junk yards all over the states.

If they decided to total my truck, and a double cab bed does fit. I won't accept their offer and would ask them to fix the axle, get a new wheel and tire, and replace the front fender. I would take care of the bed at another shop since the dealership won't agree to use a double cab's bed because it doesn't match the VIN number. Does this sound the least bit logical to you? What would you do if you were in this situation?

My tuck has been sitting in the lot for almost a month now and the insurance is taking its sweet time trying its best not to spend any money.

Sorry for the long rant guys and thanks for taking the time reading all this :eek:

· Registered
225 Posts
Rough man... Receipts will help a ton if they do total it. Can argue to get that number higher than 16k too. Find comparable trucks within 200 miles of your zip to email your adjuster. A very very good way to get a bigger check.
Interesting paint btw

· Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damn that sucks! Glad you're ok tho

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Thanks JC :)

Rough man... Receipts will help a ton if they do total it. Can argue to get that number higher than 16k too. Find comparable trucks within 200 miles of your zip to email your adjuster. A very very good way to get a bigger check.
Interesting paint btw
Even if they total it, I'm stripping it down all the way from the Supercharger to the lowering kit.

I've been searching for 2007 5.7L 2WD RCSBs with the SR5 and sport appearance package. There are less than 10 trucks offered for sale in the country right now, and the closest one being in TN. That's +600 miles. Mileage on those trucks vary from 19K to 90K and their price average cost is a little over $18k.

The first time I talked to the adjuster a few weeks ago, he thought my truck was a base model and valued it at $12K :eek: I had to explain to him that mine was with the 5.7l engine & SR5 and Sport Appearance package. That's what bumped its value close to $16K!

· Registered
1,441 Posts
Glad your okay BRX..

There's a really clean black 07 5.7 single cab 2WD. with REALLY low mile's on it up here at the Puyallup Wa. Yota dealer. I looked at it and it's ready to go..
I know that's no help for you and where your at. But the single cab's are out there buddy.

Reactions: dikkie and BRX

· Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad your okay BRX..

There's a really clean black 07 5.7 single cab 2WD. with REALLY low mile's on it up here at the Puyallup Wa. Yota dealer. I looked at it and it's ready to go..
I know that's no help for you and where your at. But the single cab's are out there buddy.
Thanks buddy!

Here are the best 8 RCSBs that I talked about. The black one in Puyallup had it's picture removed for some reason. It's the third form the top.

Shipping or driving it from WA is gonna cost me easily over a grand. Not to mention it's gonna be $3K more expensive than what the insurance company is gonna offer me :(

BTW, The second one on the list is a base model :rolleyes:

Attachments

· Premium Member
3,971 Posts
WOW that sucks! Wasn't that long ago I was following your thread as you were getting the truck PD'd...and it was obvious how excited you were that it came out as nice as it did. Sorry to see those pic's bro.

Reactions: BRX

· Registered
1,441 Posts
Hell those cheese dick's in Puyallup aren't going to get what there asking for it. Plus I'll drive it down to ya lol. It's smart what your doing . Splash it here on TT and let some TT guy's do some digging for you. Something will pop up.

Reactions: wballen.79 and BRX

· Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would just try and get as much out of the insurance as possible. It will probably never be as good as it was. Then take your time, the right truck will come along.

How come you got Ory-gone plates? Nice color by the way.
I moved from OR to FL a few months ago. Plates are good for two more years so why pay for new plates?! :lol5:

And thanks. If I ever get it fixed, I'll do the same color again.

· Registered
944 Posts
Al. You as the person that pays the insurance has a lot if say in this matter. Tell them you do not want the truck to be a total loss and ask them what is the highest they will give you to have the truck repaired. I'm sure you can have it repaired for half the money the insurance gives you. Good Luck.

· "A Man Needs A Maid"
1,276 Posts
That sucks, especially if the frame is bent. Rarely can an almost totaled truck be brought back to life completely like it was. all the parts will be dealer installed instead of factory installed. If the frame is bent, not many shops that can get that right...

I know this from experience with my last ride.

· Premium Member
554 Posts
Wow, I hate that this has happened to you. I've been following your Tundra and loved how the PD came out. I hate seeing this and wish you all the best with it. Definitely keep us all in the loop, I just did a search for 2013 RCSB 5.7's and there are 13 around, most being in FL ranging from 27-32k in a work truck/grade package. That's obviously sticker so they are lower than that but for new (which I know you are not looking new) that is what I see.

In the Hendrick group there are 10 with only one close to what you are looking for I think.
2007 Used Toyota Tundra2WD Reg 126.8" 5.7L V8 Truck Regular Cab Short Bed for Sale in Shawnee, KS - silver sky metallic - 5TFJV52167X001664 on Hendrickcars.com

Hope it helps even if just a little.

Brad

· Registered
708 Posts
The damage really isn't that bad. If they will give you the check to get it fixed I would avoid the dealer. I'm 99% a DC bed will fit and you should be able to find one for a very reasonable price compared to $6k. Fenders and wheels are easy enough to find and you can take it back to the same shop that painted it with PD last time. The frame is your only real concern. If it checks out good just get your check and leave. I'm thinking maybe $1500-2000 in parts before paint and you already know what paint cost a month ago.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

· Registered
1,894 Posts
hey brx if you don't mind me asking what is the milage on your truck, abd what mileage would you be ok with in a used vehicle ? just asking cause I found a couple of rcsb trucks with 150k for 10k..... that's to many miles for me ....

· Premium Member
286 Posts
You said that you always keep one and a half to two cars length between you and any car in front of you. Are you kidding me? At 80 mph you should allow at least 8 car lengths. Then, when you moved to the left lane to pass the trucks, you were only 5 to 6 car lengths behind him. Maybe that's why he didn't see you. Good thing for you, there were no witnesses.:eek:

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.