Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First real stereo upgrade, i have a 2013 double cab.

What i already have in the garage:
Head Unit-Pioneer pioneer 5500 bhs
Custom Box and 2 Pioneer 10" shallow mount subs (TS-SW2501S2|S4)

What i need help with:
component speakers up front (coaxial or leave stock in rear?)

AMPS (need the most advice here on what i need to power the sub, and then also the speakers etc.)

Any suggestions would be great, i am not looking for top of the line SQ, just more volume and bass with decent SQ.

sound deadening worth it?

·
Registered
535 Posts
It sounds like you definitely have a good plan going.

Sound deadening is always definitely worth it. Some places may have some extra over that they will give you a deal on if you are getting other stuff from them and they are installing it.

I'd leave the rear fill speakers stock, and go for some decent components up front.

I did Hertz components up front, with a Hertz HDP5 amp. I'm using all channels since I'm running them active, and I could not be happier.

Reactions: LT K

·
Registered
670 Posts
I am breaking in some JBL MS-62C's (had them for 2 weeks), very clear. I still have my "old" (less than a year) Pioneer TS-D1720C's if you are interested.

Agree with jax, the rear fills are fine with OEM. You can always upgrade them on a Saturday for something to do.

I have the JBL's up front, Boston Acoustic SC-55's in the rear doors and 2 JL 8W3V3's in a custom box under the rear seat (I also have a DC). All powered by an Alpine PDX-5.

·
Registered
583 Posts
It sounds like you definitely have a good plan going.

Sound deadening is always definitely worth it. Some places may have some extra over that they will give you a deal on if you are getting other stuff from them and they are installing it.

I'd leave the rear fill speakers stock, and go for some decent components up front.

I did Hertz components up front, with a Hertz HDP5 amp. I'm using all channels since I'm running them active, and I could not be happier.
+1 on all of the above as I have a similar set up- sounds great, and send do the sound deadening.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The JBL's are a great choice and sound very good. We've PM'd and I know you picked out the Polk DB6501/DB651 combo and they sound excellent for the money. The JBL's will handle a little bit more power but the Polks are a great bang for the buck. I will be very interested to hear about the PPI Phantom series amps that we talked about. I think you'll be absolutely blown away by the performance you get for the money. Your truck should sound outstanding for the money you spend.

Reactions: LT K

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yeah, the Polk/PPI route is a really good way to go for the money.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts