Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Help me decide: Tundra or Tacoma

5K views 46 replies 23 participants last post by  dashunde 
#1 ·
1st post here!

I'm thinking about buying a pickup sometime in the near future. I don't necessarily need one, but I'd like the change. No one in my family has a pickup (my parents/sisters live nearby and so do my wife's), and it seems like every other weekend we find we could use one.

I have always been a car driver (had a 2003 Access cab V8 Tundra for a little bit & the wife drove it more--long story). I loved how when you stepped on the gas, that thing moved!! It was also pretty smooth-riding. Not as "bouncy" as my sisters' 4Runners even. I was surprised (in a good way).

I test drove the Double cab short bed Tacoma V6 for the first time the other day and felt a little "underwhelmed" by it.
IMO the negatives for the Tacoma: Lack of technology (not even a USB port in a 2011), no rear A/C vents (I have a 1 yr old daughter and live in TX-this is somewhat important to me), very plain/cheap inside, had more of a bouncy ride, very little acceleration when stepping on gas, the cab room seemed very small if adults had to sit back there, and the bed seemed really small.

positives of Tacoma: maneuverability (will be easier for me to get around the city--am a teacher just a few miles away), slightly better on gas mileage than a Tundra, short bed double cab should fit easily in garage, hold value really well.

My concerns for the Tundra are that it may be too big--coming from someone who has always driven a sports car/sedan, is it going to be that difficult to get used to? I mainly drive around the city, school parking lots, restaurant drive-thrus, etc...will it be a PITA to drive the Tundra around? If I go with a Tundra I'd get the smaller V8 (don't need the 5.7 as I won't be towing anything much). When driving on highway, is it difficult to see? I've seen a few people mention difficulty seeing out of blind spots. I don't even know if a double cab (know a crew would NOT) would fit in my garage.

The Tundra most likely will have the acceleration I'd enjoy, rear A/C vents (only on CMax?), bigger cab, bigger bed, maybe more technology, seems nicer inside.

I'm going to go used--about 2009-2011, around 50-60K, don't want to spend more than $22K. Any/all input is appreciated!! Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Tundra--for sure

I just traded a 2012 Audi A6 for a 2012 CM V8 Tundra. I test drove one to my house to see if it would fit in my garage. It does, so you may not have to worry about that. I back it in and installed rubber floor tiles on the back wall, and I know I am in far enough when I hit the rubber tiles. So far, I love the Tundra and appreciate the V8 power. The interior is gorgeous and like you, I live in Texas, so enjoy the powerful A/C, including rear seat. IMO, the Tacoma looks too small overall.

Good luck:thumbsup:

#3 ·
I don't even know if a double cab (know a crew would NOT) would fit in my garage.
They are the exact same size so if one fits they both fit.

I test drove the Double cab short bed Tacoma V6 for the first time the other day and felt a little "underwhelmed" by it.
IMO the negatives for the Tacoma: Lack of technology (not even a USB port in a 2011), no rear A/C vents (I have a 1 yr old daughter and live in TX-this is somewhat important to me), very plain/cheap inside, had more of a bouncy ride, very little acceleration when stepping on gas, the cab room seemed very small if adults had to sit back there, and the bed seemed really small.
Really no overcoming that, if it felt under powered then the only other Toyota option is the Tundra.

If I go with a Tundra I'd get the smaller V8 (don't need the 5.7 as I won't be towing anything much). When driving on highway, is it difficult to see? I've seen a few people mention difficulty seeing out of blind spots.
Big mistake. Get the 5.7 and get the tow package. MPG is almost the same but the difference in power, resale value and sale-ability is huge. As for blind spots, tow mirrors help a lot with blind spots but you will quickly get used to knowing where to check before doing anything, not a big deal.

My concerns for the Tundra are that it may be too big--coming from someone who has always driven a sports car/sedan, is it going to be that difficult to get used to? I mainly drive around the city, school parking lots, restaurant drive-thrus, etc...will it be a PITA to drive the Tundra around?
Took me about a week to feel comfortable with it's size (coming from a Tacoma) now I would not trade it for anything smaller for sure.

#4 · (Edited)
I had a 2010 Tacoma (access cab with a 4cyl) and now have a 2008 Tundra 5.7 Dbl. cab. It not fair for me to comment on power or cab space on the two trucks because they are not even similar. I will say this.....

Unless you are in a real big city, like NYC or Chicago, etc. where there is nothing but parallel parking and tiny parking garages....get the Tundra. The double cab tundra is so much roomier compared to a double cab Tacoma, and yes the power is much greater as well. I needed to upgrade to tow a horse trailer, but if it wasnt for that, I still would not regret the decision. I love driving my Tundra every day. I never noticed any blindspots that are worse than any other vehicle out there. I would also recomend the 5.7. Since your buying used, the price isnt much different but the power is night and day. Better re-sale down the road and they usually have a tow package with tranny cooler, etc. which is good for the truck wether you tow or not and mpg is about the same. Also, the double cab and crew max are the same frame, and are the same length. So dont rule out crew max just based upon that. If a double cab fits, a crew max should fit.

Get the Tundra, they are pretty much identical in price to the Tacoma and you get a lot more truck for your money. and there is only MAYBE a 1-2 mpg difference between a 4.0 v6 vs. a 4.6 or 4.7 v8 and a 5.7 v8.

lets put it this way, you hear very few people trading a tundra for a tacoma because it was too big. you hear a lot of people trading a tacoma for a tundra because it was too small.

#5 ·
I just traded my 12 tacoma for a 13 tundra. The tacoma is very underpowered and payload almost nothing. I to live in Texas and can tell you the tundra is the better pick of the two.

Yes the taco is more maneuverable in tighter places but also any gust of wind could easily toss you around the freeway. My fuel mileage is actually better in the tundra as it has way less stress getting to high way speeds.

#8 ·
I traded in my 11 taco dbl cab for ac13 CM and love it... The lack of accessories in the taco really started bugging me... I loved that truck but no heated side mirrors?? Might as well not even have them in the morning they fog up every time. I get about 2-3mpg worse then I did with my taco normal driving (90% city) and equal mpg hwy. I agree with the others, get the 5.7L your resale value will be higher and it's not much of a difference on mpg at all for what I have read. I know someone on here bought a 4.6 and traded it in for a 5.7 1 month later... Maybe they will chime in

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#9 · (Edited)
There really isnt a comparison...

I also traded a 2012 Tacoma for a 2013 Tundra... frankly, the Tacoma is just a stupidly designed vehicle by any measure.
The Tundra is so much more truck for the money in every possible way except off-road. Giving up just a couple of bed length inches to my Tacoma while keeping a similar overall lenth the Tundra CM manages to - I kid you not - have more back seat room than the Tacoma does in the front!!

My DC Longbed 4x4 Tacoma was only ~3 inches shorter, but my Tundra CM 4x4 actually turns sharper, so maneuverability is the same or better for the Tundra.
My Tacoma was only narrower, it was easier to park in less desirable spots crowded by other idiots who cant park cleanly between their own lines.

I too have a 14 month old daughter and I went to install her 2nd car seat into the Tacoma. Her new seat hit the back of my seat, nevermind her feet.
I already kind of hated that gas guzzling 6-cyliner, cramped, bouncy, underpowered and overpriced Tacoma, but that car seat thing sealed its fate for me.

For the length of the Tacoma it is absurdly short on interior space.
I have no idea how the Tacoma's back doors are larger than those on my Quad Cab Ram 2500 (& 3500) 4x4 diesels yet it has FAR less room back there, but it sure does...

I'm not kidding.. the Tacoma's are unrefined poorly designed goofy little trucks that cost a fortune... steer clear I say, I got nothing good to say about them except that the 4.0 does have good 6cyl grunt off the line (with a noticably odd vibration), but it still falls on its face on the highway pulling anything bigger than its own bed..
Tacoma's:
Vibrate off the line.
Ride rough
Are cramped from every angle
Suck gas like a V8, yet remain underpowered.
Have shitty front brakes that warped
Have shitty DRUM brakes that warped and cause it to buck and hop even when not warped! (WTF??)
Cant carry anything, cant tow anything. (is it really a truck?? IDK...)
Complains constantly by reving high shifts every few feet when it pulls my bass boat.
Has a weird knock sound from the steering column on rough, gravel or dirt roads (odd for a "off road" truck dont ya think?).
I could go on and on..

Fwiw... I'm getting about 15mpg mixed out of my Tundra, my Tacoma averaged 15.3... like I said, its no comparison in what you get for your money.

I LOVE my Tundra so far, and aside from not having any storage under the seats and the transmission being slow to upshift through 1-2-3 I am remarkably happy with it.

If you asked the same question on the Tacoma forums, dont listen to a damn word they say while singing the Taco's praises... its all crap. :rolleyes:

If your still on the fence, just buy a nice Silverado with great rebates and be done with it...

#11 ·
speaking specifically to the mpg on the 4.6 vs 5.7 tundra, I owned both, manufactured less than 2 weeks apart. I won't get into the story again but the 4.6, still a great truck just didn't have the oomph I was accustomed to in the G1. I traded it in a few weeks later for the 5.7 and have been glad I did. MPG was approximately 1 mpg better in the 5.7 than 4.6. I attribute most of that to the way I drive.

Coming from a car, even the Taco will be much different for you but the curve will be much greater from car to Taco than a Taco to a Tundra. It will take some time for you to learn your points but if you get camera(s) and/or parking assist, it'll help you learn a lot faster. There will be a few times here and there you wish you had a smaller vehicle but they are greatly outweighed by how many more people get out of your way and yield to you. :D

#12 ·
I agree on the tundra 100%. Have a buddy that has a Tacoma... its a nice truck but lacks power and even room up front.
Ride isn't as nice as the tundra, isn't as quiet, cheaper interior materials, etc...

DEF DEF DEF get the 5.7 for all the reason listed above.
Don't get the 4.7, good engine but have to replace the timing belt and then the tundras a little under powered.
If you insist on the smaller v8 get the 4.6 that has more power and no timing belt.

Keep us updated and good luck

#14 ·
Tundra all the way :)

#16 ·
I looked at the tacoma as when I was shopping , as mentioned above , room , power and value . The 5.7 is the way to go as well as the tow package , better to have then not have it when you need it. The decked out double cab tacoma isn't that far off in price when you take into consideration they don't seem to take very much off the price for one and it seems between rebates and toyota desire to sell more tundras you can get a great deal on what I and most everyone here would say is a better value. Go to carmax.com they sell new toyotas and see how much they take off for each truck and such and i think you will see they are closer than most people think. Gas milage wise I couldn't get all that excited by a 1-2 mpg improvement from one truck to another. I get 15 in town all day long .

That being said there are areas that I go , shops and road wise that I have to choose wisely as in parking and timing . it is quite wide and I find its bigger than most parking spots . Those days we take the wifes car or I just deal with it lol. Good Luck on your purchase

#17 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! It's funny after joining/reading various threads for months on Tacomaworld.com, I was sold on a Tacoma until I saw one in person & drove it. I just felt it's not very much truck for about the same price as a Tacoma.

Also as mentioned, I miss that 03 Access Cab Tundra I had for a short while. When my wife didn't drive it, I happily took the keys and cruised to work. It was fun driving it. I felt like it almost had the acceleration of my old Trans Am, but in a large vehicle. Nice!

Now my big concerns still remain in no particular order:
1) would the beast of a Tundra even fit in my garage
2) I can handle 15mpg, but it if goes below that :eek:
3) crew max vs. double cab (rear A/c needed)
4) will I get tired of such a huge vehicle around the city
5) which package (my old Tundra was a 2wd TRD Sport which I loved)
6) which particular year (want to stay around $22k)--don't know which years are supposedly better mechanically, have better features I might enjoy, etc.

Thanks again for all the replies. I have read every one of them, and they are very helpful!

#18 ·
1. It should unless your garage is abnormally small

2. Shouldn't be a problem.

3. Crew Max has AC vents on the back of the center console.

4. Depends on what you mean by city. If you're talking a serious urban environment, probably.

5. Test drive them all at a dealer even though you're shopping used. You may even find that a new '13 model, with the '14s getting ready to hit the lots, and the incentives, is within your budget. The ride is noticeably different between the SR5, TRD, and RW. I didn't bother with the limited or platinum because I couldn't justify the extra expense.

#19 ·
Make sure you really need it, or can afford to fill it. I drive a lot for work, and I have spent over 800/mo the last two months for fuel. Based on my average of 15mpg, and 3.50 per gallon fuel baseline, I have spent $5833 in fuel since I bought it last September. That's my supercharger right there!!! :(

#20 ·
Omg, I just added up my yearly payments, mods, insurance, plates and fuel total. Wow, I have spent a SHOCKING amount of money on my truck. Really, a heinous amount of money. Wow.

I wish I would have bypassed this thread :(

#24 ·
Lol, Conservative Sensibilities!?! You drive a brand new truck with a supercharger!... :)

My buddy has an old beat up ford ranger, and he makes GOOD money. That's a sensible dude. better man than us!

Hey OP, just get the 5.7 and be done with it! Cars are for girls anyways.

#25 ·
Test drive a Tacoma and a Tundra back to back. That's what I did when I was shopping for a Tacoma. You just gotta experience the difference in power. Moreover, every time I see a Tacoma, I am glad that I went with a Tundra. Tacoma's are tiny.

Driving a Tundra is not a problem. You just have to get used to it, then you will discover that it is surprisingly nimble. I do admit that parking is not as easy. If there is an empty parking spot and the cars on both sides are parked close to the line, I don't even bother to park my Tundra there. I developed a habit of parking far enough away from the entrance of whatever place I go. It's better for my health and also safer for my truck (from those inconsiderate door dingers).

Reactions: maverick22
#26 ·
Driving any half-ton on up takes a bit of planning while parking, just find a spot and set up for it.
The Tundra does turn very sharp for its size.

I back into my garage within 4-5 inches of the bass boat on my right side.
I have much better visibility and left/right precision using the mirrors, and the backup cam is great for depth.
I do the same in tighter parking lots.

1) would the beast of a Tundra even fit in my garage
2) I can handle 15mpg, but it if goes below that
3) crew max vs. double cab (rear A/c needed)
4) will I get tired of such a huge vehicle around the city
5) which package
1 - It should, you need around 19 feet +/-
2 - I dont flog it around, but I do drive like I have somewhere to go, mine is hovering around 15mpg mixed and 17-19 on the highway at 80mph depending on the wind.
3 - The CM has a huge interior, I love it, it has rear vents in the center console and under the front seats that blow back.
4 - Probably not, you'll get used to it.
5 - Mine is a SR5 with the console shifter, I only miss the Bilstien shocks from the TRD.

#30 ·
I started pulling thro parking spaces years ago, and usually park a ways out no matter what vehicle. Less door dings and I can use the exercise. Parking in a parking garage this past week was fun, but again I would pick a spot without neighbors and managed ok. Parking is probably the biggest downside, or backing up, but not that bad--and my other car is a much smaller Jetta! One thing I do while pulling thro is to watch the mirrors, as I can see the lines when I pull forward far enough.

I would go with the 5.7 if you can. Resale will likely pay for it. I settled for the 4.6 and while it is sufficient for my needs I still wonder. If not racing nor towing you might not notice at all, but given how most reports indicate no mpg penalty I think the decision is clear. The 4.6 is an ok base motor, but these days, with the six speed transmissions the big motors no longer seem to have the mpg penalty they used to have; best mpg I've seen is 20 and it requires driving 60 to do that. It does suffer in the hills or in the city. I don't recall the Tacoma getting much better mpg.

Me, I kept my paid off car for my daily driver, the truck is expected to do everything short of passing a gas station. I think from now on I'm going to keep two vehicles for myself.

#32 ·
Me, I kept my paid off car for my daily driver, the truck is expected to do everything short of passing a gas station. I think from now on I'm going to keep two vehicles for myself.
that's exactly the state we were in! Had my daily driver car paid off, and we had an extra truck (the 03 Tundra). I loved it and wanted to keep it. The wife refused though....said we don't need an extra vehicle. I got tired of the daily bitching and just decided to sell it. I miss that truck, which is why I'm willing to sell my car and get a pickup.

#33 ·
I found my Tundra did not fit into parking garages in Portland. Street parking was for micros or mini's. Parking within a Walmart parking lot is a door ding nightmare. Parking issues set aside. The Tundra is way more comfortable to drive then the Taco. I drove the Tacoma for 15 years, great little truck, reliable no break downs, small, under powered,, stiff ride.
* preference Tundra

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.