Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've always worked on my own vehicles and have a well tooled shop. I did however make a stupid mistake changing my oil yesterday in a bit of a rush because i'm going on vacation today. I've never changed an element only type filter and when I removed the access plate and saw the plug in the picture beside the filter I was optimistic (and short sighted) in thinking "How convenient it's right beside the filter!" WRONG!!! I knew I'd f'd up when the spring came out. Once I got things cleaned up and inspected this it would appear to be an anti-syphon or flow/pressure control assembly which I assume has a steel ball or conical piece that seats above the spring when the plug is inserted. I looked everywhere and couldn't find any other parts and the dealership is scratching their head too. I asked if they could investigate when they have one up for an oil change but I'd really like to know asap. Anyone know or have a diagram showing this? PLEASE HELP!

It's a 2017 TRD DC 5.7L

Attachments

·
Registered
13,570 Posts
I don't know what that is, never removed it. I would assume it is also a flow valve of some sort, maybe a pressure relief valve.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Thats the drain valve for the oil filter . With every new cartridge oil filter there is a plastic male piece that your supposed to jam in there to drain it , then remove the filter housing .

I never use that gizmo .

·
Registered
13,570 Posts
Thats the drain valve for the oil filter . With every new cartridge oil filter there is a plastic male piece that your supposed to jam in there to drain it , then remove the filter housing .

I never use that gizmo .
Pretty sure they removed the bolt looking plug looking hex styled thing next to the filter mount. I had to dl the pic because I thought the same as you did at first. That's what the arrow points to anyways.

·
Registered
139 Posts

I never use that gizmo .
Wrong! The drain valve is dead center of the oil filter element. Use a 3/8's drive to fit into the square hole and remove that cap. Then thread the plastic male piece into the hole to drain the oil from the filter housing. Replace it, then remove the housing and filter without spilling any oil.
Fast forward to 4:50 to see it in action:

The OP's picture points to the bolt/plug to the side and above of the oil filter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What did you find out?

Toyota's change to the cartridge system was a huge mistake!

Why did they have to make it more complicated?????

My old 4R had a spin-on filter and it was a breeze to change the oil.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I believe that is the relief valve to bypass the oil filter in case it gets plugged up and can't flow properly. That relief valve will let oil bypass the filter and continue to let oil get to the engine if the filter cannot pass enough flow.

I suggest that you take that back apart and look at it carefully to make sure it goes back together right. There is probably a diaphragm or piston in there and the spring is holding it closed. You want to make sure it opens and closes right and the spring is installed right so it holds it closed. If that all looks good, you should be OK to use as is.

If you can get a drawing showing the breakdown of that part, it would be helpful to make sure it is all put back together correctly. You don't want that to leak oil around your filter because all the oil that bypasses the filter is not getting cleaned right. I mean, it's not the end of the world if it leaks some, but it is best to not leak.

I accidentally installed a V-6 oil filter in my V-8 Tundra, and the V-6 oil filter is shorter than the V-8 filter, but it goes into the tundra housing fine. The problem is, because is it short, it never makes contact with the housing so all the oil just flows around the filter. I had that in there for 10,000 miles. I did not seem to do any damage, but clearly, that is not how they designed it to work!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I did end up finding the piece that was missing and it was the plunger for the bypass relief valve. Lucky for me it landed on the skid plate. I would suggest not removing this as the plunger isn't available by itself if you lose it and the bypass assembly is about $200.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts