Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 20 inch light bar from EZlightbars. From what I can tell by searching, it is 21.6 X 3.15 X 3.5. I wanted to mount it behind the plastic bumper trim but placing in on the bumper support tube, you can only see one row. Have any of you guys mounted one there? I'm thinking my only option it to mount it on the bull bar. The area I circled is where I was looking at.

Attachments

·
Registered
416 Posts
OI have a 40'" double row light bar installed there on my 08. Took the plastic grille out and trimmed it to fit, made 2 brackets and mounted the light bar to the bumper.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OI have a 40'" double row light bar installed there on my 08. Took the plastic grille out and trimmed it to fit, made 2 brackets and mounted the light bar to the bumper.
Thanks for the reply. Did you have to cut the plastic all the way up to the bumper itself? The bar that I have is only a 20 but I may have to go bigger and possibly remove the bull bar. Without measuring and fitting, I'm not sure if the bar would interfere with the light output from the bottom row. Does the plastic trim come off easily? It would make fitting a little easier I would think. Thanks.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Yes I had to cut a piece out right to the bumper. I did remove it and trim to fit, took a couple of times to get it perfect. There are 10 bolts I think holding the plastic piece on, after I was finished only 4 went back. I did put 2 screws in the center of the plastic trim just below the light bar to secure it to the bumper. Hardly noticeable. It was a bit of work but definitely worth it in the end! I had a good friend help me with it, without his encouragement I never would have tackled it!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I had to cut a piece out right to the bumper. I did remove it and trim to fit, took a couple of times to get it perfect. There are 10 bolts I think holding the plastic piece on, after I was finished only 4 went back. I did put 2 screws in the center of the plastic trim just below the light bar to secure it to the bumper. Hardly noticeable. It was a bit of work but definitely worth it in the end! I had a good friend help me with it, without his encouragement I never would have tackled it!
Would you happen to have any pictures during your install or specs on your bar? I pulled the plastic trim off and if I put my bar inside the bumper from the back, the top 1/8 inch or so of the top row is behind the chrome lip of the bumper. I could probably mount it from the front but then the front surface of the bar would be sticking out of the front of the plastic by 1/4 to 1/2 an inch or so.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Had pictures on my old phone but lost everything. My lightbar sits flush in the center, both ends are about about 3/8 of an inch, bumper has slight curve.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had pictures on my old phone but lost everything. My lightbar sits flush in the center, both ends are about about 3/8 of an inch, bumper has slight curve.
No biggie. I may have to do some experimenting lol. I can put it in from behind the bumper but it would block about a 1/4 inch of the top row. If I put it in from the front that's when it will stick out a little. I did pick up a 30 inch single row today. Now I have two experiments lol. My goal is to get both of them flush mounted to prevent theft.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 30 inch is mounted.

Attachments

·
Registered
416 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Did you have to remove the safety latch in the grill when you installed the single

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you have to remove the safety latch in the grill when you installed the single
Yes I had to remove the lower half and the rod. Its not a safety issue because you can reach in through the upper grill to undo the latch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts