Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to get some new tires because the stock ones look a little small on the truck. they are currently stock 265/65R17. The just look small. I don't want to get too crazy on size just something bigger to fill the wheel well and to just to even out the truck.

Anyway, I went to a tire place and they said they would suggest Baja Atr 285/70R17. Which looked like a nice tire. They said those would look good and fit on my truck with no problem.

I then went to another place to get another quote and they said the above tire was too big, that when I turn it would rub and drcrease my turn radius. They sugested 265/70R17 Sumitomo All Terrain. They said it would give me another inch in height. Just wondering your thoughts from fellow owners.

Again just looking for a bigger tire that will fit on my stock rims.
I have a 2006 Toyota Tundra limited double cab.

Again Im a rookie at this stuff so be kind.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I do believe the 285's will rub. I had a 04 Access Cab and went with 265/70/17 Bridgestone Dueler Revo A/T's. Fantastic tire, on road and off. Premium traction in wet weather.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Have you had any confirmation on the 285's rubbing? I was going to put some on in the summer but if they will rub, i guess I will be buying a spacer.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I used to have a 2000 tundra, and I asked the guys at Discount Tire to try putting the 285's and they rubbed. So I got a set of 275/75's that worked great. BFG All Terrains, siped. They fit well, no rubbing, and amazing traction. Previously I had the Bridgestone Revos, mentioned above, and though they were great, I thought they wore quickly, and did not look as aggressive as the BFG's. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
For your year Tundra 265-70-17 is the biggest with no rubbing. I have 285-70-17 on the stock wheels with a 1/4" spacer so it won't hit the UCA. But they still rub when turning full lock. You can get them but you will only be able to turn one full turn of the wheel. It's not so bad for me. I only got them cuz it was a steal of a deal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts