Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to install my Prodigy brake controller this evening on my 2012 SM with 1550 miles. Plugged wiring harness into connector under dash and tried to mount the ground wire where it says to in the video on Tekonsha website. Couldn't even scratch the surface of the metal no matter what type of screw I tried. Was going to take truck down to neighbors (three houses down) as he's a mechanic. Started truck, and no matter what I do I can not get the truck out of park!!! During this time my 21 month old was sitting in driver's seat, but didn't really see him mess with anything. Why am I stuck in park? Help!!!

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Hmm did you try removing the harness from under the dash, that you put in ?

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Did you unplug your controller, since it isn't grounded out? It's causing your transmission to not get the message that the brake is being pushed.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Taco that is what I was thinking to.. but he said he removed the contoller...... I doubt the 2 month old did any thing, has to be something you messed with when attaching the controller. Any chance you didn't plug everything back correctly with out the controller ? Might sound dumb but is there maybe a fuse that could have been blown that would cause that ? Just brain storming at this point

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Hmm ok that changes things, then Im just in awe that this happened. Is check fuses, disconnect the battery for a few minutes, while your checking fuses, then reconnect the battery start the the truck up and see if that fixes the problem. I assume its safe to assume there is no code being thrown since you didn't mention one. And everything else is the same minus the fact you can't shift out of park

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Talked to a friend but... He drives a gm so take this with a grain of salt he said to look for a relay or a button thats on the brake line.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Listen carefully, there should be a definite mechanical sound when you step on the brake. That is how it lets you shift out of park. I would guess the fuse that controls it is blown.

·
Super Moderator
10,869 Posts
While you are investigating it you should still be able to drive it by using the transmission override; just pop off that little square thing next to your shifter (assuming it's not a column shift) then if I remember correctly you stick your finger something in there and push down to over-ride it and allow you to shift...you may want to do this and just move the vehicle a few feet, put her back in park and see if it is working normally then.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the suggestions. When I plugged in the wiring harness it blew two fuses. Fuse #10 and #11. Not sure why this happened, but I really needed the truck tomorrow to pick up our camper. Luckily, my neighbor and I were able to figure it out.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Lol woo i was right, almost always a fuse.... Glad you got it working again, now you got to figure why it blew two fuses.... I'm gonna guess that maybe you should have grounded the wire first then connect the controller ?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep, that's what I'm thinking - connect ground first. When we were checking the fuses, we had the harness and brake controller connected with the ground piggy-back grounded. When we got everything working, we shut it all down, disconnected the brake controller, and removed the ground in that order. We then permanently connected the ground, plugged in the brake controller, and all was good.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Woohoo success.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts