Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased some 1794 mirrors with Blind Spot Monitor (BSM), power fold and turn signals. I have the BSM indicator lit on my driver side mirror and it won't go off. I do not have BSM on my truck since it's an SR5. Is the light an "indicator" telling me that my (nonexistent) BSM system is not working? Is there any way to get it to go off other than pulling the wire off the BSM light?

It isn't causing any dash lights or anything like that, its just annoying.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
It has to do with the puddle light and the BSM using a common ground wire. They both, from what I have researched, end up using pin 5 in the plug at the mirror. Being that I don't have the BSM, the issue I ran into when using the mirrors was that my puddle lights would stay on all the time until I ran a new ground wire to the vanity light under the dash. I believe you are running into a similar issue here and the easiest thing to do is to either cut/remove/whatever that BSM wire. You need to cut power to it one way or another or it will stay on.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, what I failed to mention is that the light only comes on when I have the headlights on. So, I'm a little concerned that it will affect the auto dimming mirrors at night. I really like that function. Do you think cutting/removing that wire will affect the dimming mirrors? I have absolutely 0% skill with wiring/electricity, other than it hurts when I get shocked.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Based on the wiring diagram and your description, my thoughts are now slightly different and here's what I think is happening. Assuming you have Seat Position Memory, then Pin 9 is used for the Blind Spot monitor function. What happens is that Pin 9 is slated to be for the running lights. If the BSM comes on when you turn on the parking lights (not just headlights), that will verify my thoughts. What you'll need to do, based upon having or not having Seat Position Memory, you'll want to remove/cut one pin from either end of the harness.

If you have Seat Position Memory, then you'll want to remove/cut Pin 9 on each mirror. Otherwise, without SPM, you'll want to remove/cut Pin 18. This should have ZERO impact on any other portion of the mirror and should not affect the auto dim at all.

If you have a small enough screwdriver you should be able to remove the pins on the door side of the harness for the respective pins that way you aren't making permanent cuts to wires and can return if my assumptions are incorrect. I'm pretty confident on this one though. Don't worry about shocking yourself here, just don't cut two wires at once and short them out to blow fuses!

Keep us informed how you make out with this!

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
@roboots21 ... The mirror whisperer. I don't know how you know what all the pins do based on various configurations. But I will enlist your knowledge if/when I add them to my truck!
@GreatScott where did you pick them up at?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@roboots21...I don't have Seat Memory, so I guess I need to do the PIN 18 option. Right now I have the black electrical tape option covering the lit BSM...LOL. I'll let you know if you were right. I appreciate all your help.. Also, am I correct that the bottom right of the plug is #1 moving right to left?
@GreatAvalon...I got them from a guy on a Facebook Tundra page. He took them off his 1794 and opted for tow mirrors. I got them shipped to me for $210. They are off a 2014... I thought it was a hell of a price for the mirrors. I still need to get the powerfold switch, but don't know if I need the switch with memory or the one without. Im thinking the one without since I believe it referrers to the Seat Placement Memory. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
@roboots21...I don't have Seat Memory, so I guess I need to do the PIN 18 option. Right now I have the black electrical tape option covering the lit BSM...LOL. I'll let you know if you were right. I appreciate all your help.. Also, am I correct that the bottom right of the plug is #1 moving right to left?
@GreatAvalon...I got them from a guy on a Facebook Tundra page. He took them off his 1794 and opted for tow mirrors. I got them shipped to me for $210. They are off a 2014... I thought it was a hell of a price for the mirrors. I still need to get the powerfold switch, but don't know if I need the switch with memory or the one without. Im thinking the one without since I believe it referrers to the Seat Placement Memory. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I can't remember exactly on the pin placement, but the wire for BSM on the LH mirror should be Violet, and Beige for the RH mirror. Also if I'm not mistaken you should be able to see small numbers (1 and 18) on the connectors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts