Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today i was gonna install my AMP steps, so the 1st thing you're suppose to do is remove the emergency brake bracket bolt, turn the bracket 180 degrees and then install the bolt back. Well as i was doing that the bolt snapped. I wasnt using an impact tool, i was just hand tightening with a ratchet and not even that hard. Anyways half of the bolt is now stuck in the frame. Do any of you guys with any experience with this, recommend anything?

· Premium Member
2,270 Posts

· Registered
604 Posts
drill it and use an ez-out. spray with penetrating oil before trying to back it out, might make it easier.

· Registered
3,750 Posts
Truck is screwed trade it in:D. Just use an extractor bit like everyone is saying

· Registered
3,750 Posts
You must be able to get a smaller sized extractor in there once it's drilled out.

· Registered
403 Posts
this is an option:

But Im LAZY!

· Registered
2,401 Posts
there is no room for a bit extractor, what about using the other bolt that is close to it??
Buy a bolt extractor kit, like this one
Irwin Industrial Tools 11135 Screw Extractor and Drill Bit Set, 35-Piece - Amazon.com

Take a center punch and create an indentation in the center of the broken bolt (to stops the drill bit slipping). Drill with the supplied left handed drill bit (running your drill in reverse). You may find the bolt comes out when you use the left handed drill bit, if not just move on to the extractor. Use the bolt extractor or multi spline extractor in the kit to get the bolt out.

The principle is simple. You are boring a hole inside what is left of the bolt (dont go bigger than you need to), you are then using that hole to insert an extractor. The extractor grips the bolt from the inside, allowing you to get leverage to remove it.
Soaking overnight with PB Blaster will also help, as will applying heat.

I had a similar problem:
http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tu...127106-replacement-front-diff-drain-plug.html

· Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey fellas, sorry havent had time to respond, been trying to fix this damn thing. Just to update, not room to drill, no room on the back side because the gas tank is in the way, etc... So i went to my buddies house who's a gear head and he said the only way to get it out is to remove the gas tank to create room, or torch it, but i dont wanna do either. So i took PAZ's advice and used the bolt next to it. I ran the cable along the top of the rail and then used the other bolt and bracket to keep it in place. Hopefully this works.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.