Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a brand new 2018 DC 4X4 5.7 TRD. I will be towing a 29' Keystone TT that will be around 7k loaded and roughly 850-900 tounge. (Yes I will be using a WDH) I am wanting to add Hellwig Helper springs just as a precaution to avoid any excess sag. Anything good or bad to say about these? Any other product recommendations?

We only tow 6-7 times a year, so I thought the progressives would be good as to not affect ride quality when we are not towing.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Just picked up a brand new 2018 DC 4X4 5.7 TRD. I will be towing a 29' Keystone TT that will be around 7k loaded and roughly 850-900 tounge. (Yes I will be using a WDH) I am wanting to add Hellwig Helper springs just as a precaution to avoid any excess sag. Anything good or bad to say about these? Any other product recommendations?

We only tow 6-7 times a year, so I thought the progressives would be good as to not affect ride quality when we are not towing.

Air lift suspension 100% very easy install and with the wireless controller and pump it’s flawless.
sorry the air bag picture is dirty, it was taken for another member and it had snowed that weekend. I usually keep the truck spotless.

·
Registered
165 Posts
When deflated your back to your original ride quality, when inflated it is stiffer so the good part is you can adjust with or without load and based on road conditions as well.

I can’t speak for the hellwigs but to me it seems they are a fixed and not an adjustable feature.. so as you add weight you add air as you remove weight you deflate from the touch of a wireless controller.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I ran the hellwig helpers on my truck for about 4 years. Pulled a 7k TT with them on. They are ok but not really a cure to the problem. With the leveling kit on the front I still had pretty good sag with the TT.

I was actually gonna take them off last week when I installed the Firestone airbags. But after looking they were too much of a pain to remove so I just left them on and put the bags on too!!!!

Let us know which way you decide to go.

For me, the bags were needed. $300 for just the bags. $600 for bags and wireless pump. I cheaped out for now and bought a $50 black and decker inflator for the bags and other uses around the campsite.

Caleb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Springs came in today. Surprisingly heavy. Even the u bolts are much bigger than they seem online. Hopefully I can install them this weekend and take the camper for a test run.

I realize airbags would be the “best option”, but I don’t want all the issues that come with them. I help my bro in law with truck maintenance for his construction company fleet. There are always issues with them. That being said I would run them on my truck but no kits are compatible with my gooseneck hitch. I have a kit from an f150 with a wireless compressor and some cradles here if the hellwigs don’t work.

I currently have the blue 1000 Sumo springs with a 1” spacer under them. I got the light ones at super springs recommendation. The 1500’s would have been a better choice but honestly I don’t know if they are right for my application. Truck feels great towing just sags too much.

I’ll hopefully update this with my initial impressions soon.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
That being said I would run them on my truck but no kits are compatible with my gooseneck hitch. I have a kit from an f150 with a wireless compressor and some cradles here if the hellwigs don’t work.

I don't know anything about installation, but did you ever look into the Hellwig bags?
I remember reading these mounted differently than the other brands and looking at the pics they do look offset compared to my Ride Rites.
https://www.suspensionconnection.com/images/instructions/6307.pdf

Just thought I'd mention them in case your newest set up doesn't work out.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I don't know anything about installation, but did you ever look into the Hellwig bags?

I remember reading these mounted differently than the other brands and looking at the pics they do look offset compared to my Ride Rites.

https://www.suspensionconnection.com/images/instructions/6307.pdf

Just thought I'd mention them in case your newest set up doesn't work out.

Thanks for mentioning them.

I found them last week. That’s also how I found out about these helpers. I like the design better than the super springs.

I called and talked to them, their airbag brackets still hit the hitch unfortunately. Their bags are inboard of the frame and kind of sandwich the frame. If the helper springs ride horribly or don’t work I’ll fab some type of brackets to mount the bags I have.

It’s crazy that the airbag Mfg wouldn’t have a kit that is compatible with in bed hitches. I mean that’s who is hauling heavy and needs them the most.
I would just prefer a mechanical option that has less chance of failure and I don’t have to keep messing with them.

I also considered the OME Dakar leaf springs but I don’t want that much lift and I couldn’t find a definitive answer is they were good for towing or not.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Thanks for mentioning them.

I found them last week. That’s also how I found out about these helpers. I like the design better than the super springs.

I called and talked to them, their airbag brackets still hit the hitch unfortunately. Their bags are inboard of the frame and kind of sandwich the frame. If the helper springs ride horribly or don’t work I’ll fab some type of brackets to mount the bags I have.

It’s crazy that the airbag Mfg wouldn’t have a kit that is compatible with in bed hitches. I mean that’s who is hauling heavy and needs them the most.
I would just prefer a mechanical option that has less chance of failure and I don’t have to keep messing with them.

From what I saw scanning posts quickly, it sounded like the hitch (make & model) are what made the difference if the bags would work or not.....
I wish I had tried those springs before the Timbrens I hated. I ended up with Ride Rites and of course within 6 months I decided to sell my TT which was the only real need I had for them. :laugh:

The only negative post I recall of the Timbren helpers if they are the same you ordered was this one.

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-towing-hauling/73623-hellwig-helper-springs-anyone.html

Let us know what your thoughts are.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
From what I saw scanning posts quickly, it sounded like the hitch (make & model) are what made the difference if the bags would work or not.....

I wish I had tried those springs before the Timbrens I hated. I ended up with Ride Rites and of course within 6 months I decided to sell my TT which was the only real need I had for them. :laugh:

The only negative post I recall of the Timbren helpers if they are the same you ordered was this one.

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-towing-hauling/73623-hellwig-helper-springs-anyone.html

Let us know what your thoughts are.

Timbrens are more similar to the sumo springs. They are a rubber bump stop replacement. They were installed on our land cruiser when we got it. I removed them pretty quickly because they would cause the car to buck on big bumps and we didn’t tow or haul with it.

These are the springs I ordered.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CRJM0C8/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The negative post on that thread was about a different style helper that I don’t think they make anymore. They are not on hellwig’s site.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Installed them today turned into a big mess when I don’t follow or read the instructions well enough and try to hurry.

Ended up ripping an abs wire.

Got them on though and the wire fixed and codes cleared.

Set the 5er on it and it still sags about 2”. I didn’t raise my tire pressure so some of that might be tires. I’ll try to air them up and make a test run tomorrow. Initial unloaded ride is the same or better than sumos

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Installed them today turned into a big mess when I don’t follow or read the instructions well enough and try to hurry.

Ended up ripping an abs wire.

Got them on though and the wire fixed and codes cleared.

Set the 5er on it and it still sags about 2”. I didn’t raise my tire pressure so some of that might be tires. I’ll try to air them up and make a test run tomorrow. Initial unloaded ride is the same or better than sumos

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Well just finished removing the hellwig springs. Made the truck ride rough, lifted it an inch and didn’t really help with the sag. Sending them back to good old Amazon. I wouldn’t waste your time or money installing them. They lasted 4 days....

Ordered a set of firestone air bags. I’ll figure out a way to make them work with my hitch.

Roman at cool springs Toyota hooked me up with a new abs harness. So I got that installed as well.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Sorry to hear that.
I didn't want to go through with what you did only I would have been paying a shop to install.

I think the bags are the only way to go with the heavier tongue weight and not have a bucking horse unloaded.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Sorry to hear that.
I didn't want to go through with what you did only I would have been paying a shop to install.

I think the bags are the only way to go with the heavier tongue weight and not have a bucking horse unloaded.

If bags were “compatible” with my B&W hitch I would have gone with them from the beginning. Once they get here Friday I will see what I can do to make them work. I have some ideas but won’t know until I have the parts in hand.

The Sumo springs worked well, I just needed a harder set being the 1,000 lb ones let it sag a little too much. But it was very stable and rode well even after I made spacers to have them on the frame when unloaded.

I thought the hellwigs could be set as soft a possible and they would have been plenty good, but I was wrong.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Maybe you would have been better off with the 1500 or 2800LB capacity Sumo's then.
I can never seem to get things right the first time either..... :dunno:

Reactions: mrmachinist

·
Registered
165 Posts
Well just finished removing the hellwig springs. Made the truck ride rough, lifted it an inch and didn’t really help with the sag. Sending them back to good old Amazon. I wouldn’t waste your time or money installing them. They lasted 4 days....

Ordered a set of firestone air bags. I’ll figure out a way to make them work with my hitch.

Roman at cool springs Toyota hooked me up with a new abs harness. So I got that installed as well.

Do you have any pictures of where your hitch mounts underneath

Here is a picture of the air lift 5000 bags I can get you more pictures for modification ideas.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.