Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Wanted to introduce myself. I go by nickname of smokem (hunters and fishermen among you should get it ;)). I was always an Jeep/SUV type but looking to buy my first truck this fall. Really like the size and smooth ride of Tundra also i do quiet a bit of boat towing during soft water seasons.

Hope to get some answers and pointers here before i settle on specific model or accessory package.

Thanks!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Welcome!

That used to be my nickname for the cummins forum when I had my Dodge Ram.
Glad to know you are looking to get a Tundra, you won't be disappointed. Should be able to get a smokin' deal on leftovers as the new model is coming out this fall.
Keep us posted!

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Welcome to the forum, smokem. I am not a hunter, but I could sorta guess what the name means.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for warm welcome guys.

I am thinking of getting this configuration:

Car: 2013 Tundra SR5 4x4 Double Cab 4.6L
Package: Premium
Accessories:
1. Bed Liner
2. Glass breakage sensor
3. Hood deflector
4. Skid plate (comments?)

Let me know your thoughts. Also, would you recommend getting anti-rust coating at the dealership (plan is to keep this car for at least 7 years)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
371 Posts
I wouldn't get anything from the dealer other than the truck. Extended warranty, cloth seat protection, anti rust treatment and such "add ons" are just a way to crook you and none of them a worth a dime IMO. The same extended warranty my dealer tried to sell me for about 40 minutes for $2400 I ended up buying from an out of state dealer thru the Internet for $680 -/+

PS: make sure you test drive the 4.6 and the 5.7 and then make your decision. I have read and heard a few people who ended up with buyers remorse because they feel the truck (4.6) is not peppy. Are you planing to do any towing with it?
I have a 5.7, I knew the MPG's wouldn't be great but I didn't want to be underpowered or have "just enough" if you know what I mean. I have never driven a 4.6 so take my advise with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't plan on towing anything heavier than 4000 lb, so i think 4.6 should be sufficient but i will definitely try both to see which one feels right. My biggest concern is my current daily commute is 130km, so 5.7 might be get too expensive.

What do you think of bed liner and skid plate - should these be purchased from dealer or there are better options?

Thanks!

·
Registered
727 Posts
I just bought a 2013 TRD dc 4.6 an i love it.. I don't tow anything, truck has good power.. Of course, I did trade in my v6 ranger which sucked.. But gas is decent, power is good, and the tundra itself is the best truck ever..

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How do TRD shocks feel on bumpy road? Reason i am asking is i now have RAV4 Sport and tired of stiff suspension where i feel every single dent on the road

·
Registered
371 Posts
I don't plan on towing anything heavier than 4000 lb, so i think 4.6 should be sufficient but i will definitely try both to see which one feels right. My biggest concern is my current daily commute is 130km, so 5.7 might be get too expensive.

What do you think of bed liner and skid plate - should these be purchased from dealer or there are better options?

Thanks!
My truck came with a plastic bedliner but I would rather have a spray on bedliner which I eventually will do.
I do A LOT of driving with mine. To give an idea, I purchased my DC in late January and I am up to 7K miles already (11,200 KM) MPG's are pretty stable at 17 miles to the gallon. I don't know what a 4.6 CM gets but at least that gives you an idea.
I have used Sparks TRD for or my sway bar and flares. They seem to have pretty good prices but in your case I guess taxes and shipping might make a difference. Get quotes and then decide (sorry, I tend to be a bit frugal)

I just bought a 2013 TRD dc 4.6 an i love it.. I don't tow anything, truck has good power.. Of course, I did trade in my v6 ranger which sucked.. But gas is decent, power is good, and the tundra itself is the best truck ever..

Well there you have it;)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
How do TRD shocks feel on bumpy road? Reason i am asking is i now have RAV4 Sport and tired of stiff suspension where i feel every single dent on the road
Mine is a TRD and I think it's pretty smooth, but I came from a lifted 3/4 ton truck so opinions may vary depending what you compare it to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts