Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ppl,
Just wondering i'm planning a tundra before i go to college and this will be my first time with my parents to go and buy a vehicle. And my parents were telling me they plan to talk down the price. The question is that how do u like talk down 3000 or more/less of the price???
Do u like say "I'll take it, if you give me 1000 dollars off."
Or is there a process in getting the price down
By the way planning to get a used tundra, if that matters but hey.
Thank You For your Time

·
"A Man Needs A Maid"
1,277 Posts
Google is your friend. Search how to buy a used car. You have a lot to learn my friend.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Look up NADA auto, consumer, your zip code, toyota, tundra, year make and model. This will get you a starting point. the value is between trade in (value a dealer will offer) and retail (value the dealer will ask) then you may have added value for accessories. canopy, running boards, bed liner,etc. plus options- power seats, power back window, nav, TRD package, limited, platinum, etc.

·
Registered
13,521 Posts
yep.

if your parents are helping you, they should be able to help you wheel and deal.

I learned a lot from my dad about dealing... I learned to do it myself...

·
Registered
521 Posts
Google and sites like NADA or Kelly Blue Book are your best friends. You can get quotes and any advice. I used "my birthday was last week" to get an extra 500 off Hah. And i pointed out all the flaws and acted like I wasnt very interested for another 750. My mom worked off about an extra 2500 Hahaha. Shes got magic.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
I am a big believer in not giving myself a headache and not making this process confusing or frustrating for myself. Me and my wife just walked into a Toyota dealership and asked for a hard, firm out the door price on the Camry we were looking at including all taxes and fees. They asked us if we weren't planning to finance. I said we weren't sure yet how we would handle the finances but for now we just wanted to know how much the car would cost. The salesman went and got his manager, who came over, sat down with us, and showed us a printout with his invoice (probably not his real final cost for the car but I don't really care). Then he went 1000 dollars below that and wrote the number down on a business card and said the price would be good for the rest of the month. It's what he would have gone down to no matter how long we negotiated. I thanked him for his time, shook his hand, and we left to think about it. In all likelihood we will go back there to do the deal since he really seems to have thrown out a reasonable price right from the get go and he didn't screw around. Plus it was well below Edmunds True Market Value.

He didn't try to keep us from leaving. He didn't waste our time dickering around for 2,3, 4 hours. He didn't try to tie us down to a payment plan and he didn't offer his best, only, and final deal then come back with something better when we said we needed to go. There are dealers out there like this, but you have to learn not to let yourself get suckered into protracted negotiations. You have to get up and move on if you don't like what's going on because then it becomes an endurance contest. You are now automatically at a disadvantage because you only do this once every several years. They do it all day, every day.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
For a new car I have also found Costco auto to be helpfull in getting to the bottom of pricing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts