Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Central Virginia here (Culpeper County).

I've owned a 2000 Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4 5-speed TRD for the past 5 years. Great little truck but I've been thinking of selling it to get a Tundra Access cab V8 4x4 for the utility of being able to tow more weight (I cut a lot of firewood!) and my wife can't drive stick shift that well so the Tundra automatic would be better for when she needs to use the truck.

Hoping to learn more about first gen Tundras here! I'm looking for a 2000-2004 Access cab, V8 4x4 preferably with TRD package.

Here are my newbie questions on the first gen Tundra

1. Did any Tundra's from 2000-2004 come equipped with rear differential lockers like the Tacoma? If so, which years and how would I know it has one if the seller doesn't list it in the ad?

2. What is the difference between the iForce V8 and a non iForce V8?

3. Are all first gen Tundras push button 4WD? Any problems with the push button system?

4. Any recalls on certain years?

5. What does the TRD package include on 2000-2004 Tundras?

6. Is the transmission cooler only on TRD versions?

7. Any common issues with the automatic transmission or the V8 engines in first gen Tundras?

8. My Tacoma is getting about 19 mpg highway, 16 mpg combined. Is this pretty close to what I can expect from an Access cab 4x4 V8 first gen Tundra with easy driving and standard tires?

Thanks! :D

·
"Off-Topic Discussion Troll"
1,289 Posts
Welcome. You should come to the ALL TOYOTA MEET this Saturday in Fredricksburg, VA at 10:00 AM.

·
"Off-Topic Discussion Troll"
1,289 Posts

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Mine is 2nd gen, but welcome to the forum nevertheless. There are some members with gen 1 that could answer your questions.

With respect to the mpg, the difference in mpg between Tacoma and Tundra is not that great, and they are all bad, well, at least compared to a Prius. Mine is 2nd gen 5.7 and I could eek out close to 20 under ideal circumstances. During the winter, with a lot of idling time, etc., I get under 10. My guess is that 1st gen Tundra will do somewhat better.

Reactions: Jayhem
1 - 6 of 6 Posts