Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:

So I have a 2017 DC TRD PRO.

I am finding that at about 40mph and 1700 RPM I'm getting a "Whump Whump Whump" noise that sound like the rotation of helicopter blades. The noise is definitely coming from outside the vehicle. I give it a little gas to change the speed or RPM and it stops. Annoying as crap!

I looked in the forums here and found a few threads dating back to about 2012 complaining about the same thing, specifically with the TRD exhaust product, but no one ever posted what they found was the issue causing it, or what they did to fix it (except for one guy installing a $500 "H Pipe"). I'm heading into the dealer for the 5000 mile service and I would like to get this taken care of, but before I do go to the dealership and the service rep tells me its the "flux capacitor interfacing with the phasing of the moon", I would like to know what the issue really is. I'm sure others of you have experienced this. Is it the exhaust? Is it fixable? What is the real fix so that the service tech doesn't have to replace my flux capacitor.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

·
Premium Member
4,848 Posts
the fix is you send me your TRD dual exhaust and I send you my stock platinum exhaust which is whisper quiet.

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
What Breathing Borla said sounds reasonable.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Since we just had that eclipse yesterday, the flux capacitor would be a good place to start. Whatever you do, DO NOT go over 88 mph until you get this sorted.

I would hit up @dirtydeeds and see if he has any ideas.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
14,226 Posts
My trd dual exhaust noise went away after break-in.

·
Registered
14,226 Posts
the heilicopter sound never goes away. and it only happens in 14+ tundras. I assume toyota changed the tune. Everything else about the drivetrain remains the same 07-present.
Well, my truck did it when new, and doesn't now.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Well, my truck did it when new, and doesn't now.
Yea, my exhaust did it when new and up until about 2-3k miles. Have 8k miles on the exhaust now and it has zero helicopter sound. Hope it'll bolt up to the '18s so a new TRD exhaust doesn't have to break in again. Honestly, I hated the exhaust for the first 2k miles. Since the helicopter sound went away I love it.

It is a super low exhaust, which I like.

·
Premium Member
4,848 Posts
I can't even hear mine

Far cry from my 350 hemi with a borla>:D

·
Registered
716 Posts
I had a 2012 with the TRD exhaust added. About 45-50 mph under load it would make the sound. I have a mile long bridge I cross every day with a 45 mph speed limit and a fair uphill grade.

My 2015 TRD pro came with the same exhaust setup as what I put on my 2012. Same noise under the same conditions.

The noise is a resonance issue. The dealer can only tell you that everything is installed per the factory. The noise is a factory design issue.

I know Keith at Dirty Deeds can fix it. You can add resonators to the existing exhaust to make it go away, or you can swap out the muffler section to one of Keith's replacement systems ($$$).

I looked at the cost of fixing the noise and decided to live with it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.