Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a site I can get some HD replacement hood struts cuz the extra weight from my aftermarket grille in cold weather causes the hood to close slowly and I end up propping the hood open with a stick.

·
Registered
13,913 Posts
Maybe just some new replacements will do the trick... They do wear over time and seem to lose pressure.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I was asking the same question on the Royalty Core thread, and am having the same issue. I was using hand clamps to clamp onto the strut cylinders to prevent it from sliding down, but that was only working half the time. Eventually it would have caught me in the head, I know it.
I don't see a point of swapping them out with the same stock ones, as it will keep occurring after awhile. Bit of a waste of money thing with that.
If I cannot find any, I'll get a hood prop rod and rig it up to use like the 'old skool' vehicle hood set up.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don 't think the OEM struts are worn out yet. Only happened after my RC grille was installed cuz that grille is at least 20 pounds compared to 6-7 pounds for the stock grille. The hood stays up in warm weather but in the cold the struts don't stay up. Was thinking of getting the Black Diamond grille with 30" SR lights but I think that setup would be even heavier than the RC grille. Have tried searching for HD struts that directly fit without luck, so I may need to get someone to custom weld the mounts to a beefier strut or do the hood prop Stundra mentioned.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Bump for a source for replacement heavy duty hood struts to handle the extra weight.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
I use a supplier that will build them to spec and will ask if they'll sale direct. I'll update.

·
Registered
163 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts

Your welcome, glad to help.

I spoke with Allegis today and got the green light, If anyone needs HD lift shocks or anything else they offer they're willing to deal direct.

Allegis Corporation
1-866-378-7550
anyone in the parts department can help.

Gas shocks are available in all lengths and many PSI options. Measure fully extended from center to center of the pivoting struts and then a collapsed length. Best of luck!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Right on. Will have to do some measuring and see if there's a direct replacement. Thanks man.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.