Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is minor but I've but I started getting some oxidation creeping in on the top edges of both headlights that looks like it's on the inside. Can anyone recommend the best way to treat this, and has anyone else had this happen on a 14 and up? It probably is in sunlight 4hrs per day , should that be happening already on a 4 year old truck?

Vehicle Automotive lighting Light Car Hood

·
Registered
171 Posts
This is minor but I've but I started getting some oxidation creeping in on the top edges of both headlights that looks like it's on the inside. Can anyone recommend the best way to treat this, and has anyone else had this happen on a 14 and up? It probably is in sunlight 4hrs per day , should that be happening already on a 4 year old truck?

View attachment 782626
Have you already tried polishing the housing exterior? I've thought mine was interior blemishes before but they came out with a light polish from the DA polisher.

My 2011 headlights started dogging up about 3 years after purchase. Now I polish them with Meguiars Ultimate Compound once a year and wax them with Collinite No. 845 Insulator wax twice a year. They stay nice and clear now!

·
Registered
14,226 Posts
I normally just wax them. I have repaired more than a dozen peeps lights that were really bad with my random orbit, rubbing compound, followed by a sealer/polish.

Works better than those stupid kits you buy.

Reactions: jcobb38

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you already tried polishing the housing exterior? I've thought mine was interior blemishes before but they came out with a light polish from the DA polisher.

My 2011 headlights started dogging up about 3 years after purchase. Now I polish them with Meguiars Ultimate Compound once a year and wax them with Collinite No. 845 Insulator wax twice a year. They stay nice and clear now!
I haven't yet, I was going to try to tackle that this weekend. My 07 4Runner had the same issue but I had it about 8 years before any oxidation was showing up. I bought one of the 3M kits from Autozone and it lasted about 3mo before they started clouding up again.

I normally just wax them. I have repaired more than a dozen peeps lights that were really bad with my random orbit, rubbing compound, followed by a sealer/polish.

Works better than those stupid kits you buy.
Yeah I'll have to invest in a good DA polisher. What wax do you use?

·
Registered
14,226 Posts
I use wizards products.

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
My 08 had it, my grandfather's 05 had it. All these new vehicles will at some point because the lenses are never replaced anymore, unlike years ago when lights were sealed beams and when they failed you bought a new light assembly to include the lenses. Now you are left with old lenses that are usually pitted, hazy, etc. Those polishing kits work for a while but the haze will definitely return.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.