Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Saw that one on the news too. I've had a few close calls of a similar nature, people looking right but not left when making a left turn, except the past few times I have swerved RIGHT and not left as it seems the driver did in this case.
I thought that was strange, too. Why did the t-boning driver veer left? I would have gone right.

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
Yeah I don't know if he was but it was pretty stupid that he didn't see the beetle stopped in front of him. It wasn't like the beetle was slowing down in front of him and he just didn't notice. The beetle was completly stopped waiting to turn and the Chevy had plenty of time to see them stopped. I am not having to fight it though becuase the guy in the Chevy was a good guy and told the beetle and me that it was his fault and that he had good insurnance that will pay for everything. Dealing with insurance companies sucks though.
Some claim fault until their insurance gets involved. Then suddenly they change their story.
Glad you aren't hurt too much.

Reactions: MaylonTRD

·
Premium Member
8,114 Posts
Some claim fault until their insurance gets involved. Then suddenly they change their story.
Glad you aren't hurt too much.
Yep...It's a tough thing to remember to do in the heat of an accident but turning on cell phone video once it's determined everyone is ok is a wise thing to do....even if you just hold it down for the audio.

·
Registered
114 Posts
This is why when waiting to make a left turn, never sit with your front wheels turned...We respond to a lot of accidents that would have been much less severe if the driver that got rear ended had kept their wheels straight until they were ready to make their turn.

Glad everyone is okay though, good luck moving forward from here.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well I got my preliminary estimate today of $6,500. This estimate was only based on the adjuster walking around it and looking at the damage. They have not started to tear it apart and work on it yet so hopefully they won't find any other major damages. I am just glad I am not having to pay for it.

Reactions: jtg516

·
Registered
9 Posts
You also need to get their insurance to pay you for 'diminished value' if available in your state. This will make up for any value lost due to an accident that is not your fault. I had to lawyer up to get their insurance to pay and then they did. It did make the trade in after it happened a much more fair experience. Without it I would have taken a huge loss. I had them tell me that my state did not allow for it and all kinds of excuses. The adjuster flat out lied to me and I did not roll over and did what I said and got a lawyer involved. They would have been better off totaling it, they did not because they did not expect to be paying me for the diminished value.

Steve

·
Registered
190 Posts
I know yours doesn't look this bad, but I posted in a thread about my brothers head on collision. The adjuster was set on getting the truck fixed, but after taking it to a shop they saw the frame rails were buckled from the tire smashing into the body mount and the force from the bumper.

I would take it to a shop you trust and make sure you check the frame rails. The insurance told our body shop to try and fix the buckled frame rails, and our shop refused to touch it. After bickering back and forth from our body shop and the insurance company they finally totaled it.

Just something to check out if the insurance company is determined to fix rather than pay out.

Pic of my brothers truck that was going ~35 mph when a drunk driver in an s10 hit him head on going ~45 mph.

IMG_2276.jpg

21 - 28 of 28 Posts