Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the original owner of a 2014 Tundra Crewmax. When I purchased the truck I extended the warranty out as far as they could, 125,000 miles. At 130,000 the head gasket blew at cylinder 8. Paid the dealer $3k for the repair and got a 50,000 mile warranty. I figured I was set for the life of the truck.

Until last week. Code popped and running rough one morning last week. Took it to the local parts shop who read the code as Cyl 3 misfire. Oh shoot, here we go again. Took it to the dealer thinking it’s covered by warranty because the work was done less than two years ago. Wrong! The mileage was at 50,280 since the last work was done. Dang! Sorry sir, your warranty is expired.

Time to find a good remanufactured motor. Any ideas?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Time to figure out why you are popping head gaskets… Are you super charged? Tuned? Any mods? Big tires without gearing? Lead-filled shoes? Do you let the vehicle warm up (about 15 mins driving to get oil temps up, not just water temps) before you flog it? Do you buy Costco gas? Neighbor filling your tank with gas tank with sugar?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Time to figure out why you are popping head gaskets… Are you super charged? Tuned? Any mods? Big tires without gearing? Lead-filled shoes? Do you let the vehicle warm up (about 15 mins driving to get oil temps up, not just water temps) before you flog it? Do you buy Costco gas? Neighbor filling your tank with gas tank with sugar?
Blenton,

Thanks for your post.

I have lived in this house for 25 years and all of our neighbors are good friends and people its not likely one of them. Warmup is about a 5 mile easy drive to the freeway where I generally set cruise to 72 for the 15 mile commute to my office. We do travel through the mountains often and that does use some use of the throttle especially when passing slow movers. The truck has about 30,000 miles of towing my drift boat or travel trailer through those same mountains. At my age, 59, I have owned a lot of vehicles and I am definitely slowing down vs speeding up. My last Toyota, ’95 fzj80, saw the same use as the tundra and was at 235,000 basically flawless miles before I sold it.

Now it is a matter of finding a short block to replace this motor. we just got back from camping with friends and he has used Jegs quite a few times. He said they come with a 3 year unlimited mile warranty so that may be an option. Just not sure what anyone on this site has used successfully.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Hmm… well, it’s sounds like you’re not doing anything stupid with the truck. Which is good. I’m sorry to hear that you are having big troubles with the engine; that’s quite bizarre. I don’t recall seeing a lot of posts about replacement short blocks on the forum. Maybe @ViktorG can chime in with some advice. It’s usually the supercharged crowd with small pulleys and heavy shoes that have any experience with engine troubles. Thinking about it, one of the biggest issues I recall with those trucks is running one of the cylinders lean and melting a piston or popping a gasket/warping a head from (over)heating that lean cylinder. The other big problem saucer is flogging the gas pedal with a cold motor, but that doesn’t appear to be the case. Might be worth looking in to fueling issues? Bad or clogged injector? Weak fuel pump? I’m just surprised to see such big issues with relatively few miles.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm… well, it’s sounds like you’re not doing anything stupid with the truck. Which is good. I’m sorry to hear that you are having big troubles with the engine; that’s quite bizarre. I don’t recall seeing a lot of posts about replacement short blocks on the forum. Maybe @ViktorG can chime in with some advice. It’s usually the supercharged crowd with small pulleys and heavy shoes that have any experience with engine troubles. Thinking about it, one of the biggest issues I recall with those trucks is running one of the cylinders lean and melting a piston or popping a gasket/warping a head from (over)heating that lean cylinder. The other big problem saucer is flogging the gas pedal with a cold motor, but that doesn’t appear to be the case. Might be worth looking in to fueling issues? Bad or clogged injector? Weak fuel pump? I’m just surprised to see such big issues with relatively few miles.
The only other thing that has changed was this truck went from a daily driver to a second vehicle about 8 months ago. It has only been driven maybe once per month since then and that has been for towing or fishing. But then it does get a normal warm up before hooking up.

the whole thing just shakes my confidence in Toyota. We have owned a lot of Toyota and Lexus products and never had problems. When it is time to buy a new truck it may not be a Toyota this time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts