Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so after the rave, I bought a set paired with power stop slotted and drilled rotors. Now they rattle. The first and last time I bought hawk for my 87 corolla, the tolerances on the pads sucked and didn't fit. Second time now on my tundra and still bad experiences. Anyone with hawk pads have this issue? Rattles on slow slightly bumpy roads. Picture shows how much bigger hawk pad holes (right) are compared to stock pads (left). Any suggestions? They bite well but the slow speed chatter is super annoying especially for a 3 year old truck.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took them off to crc the shit out of them but they still rattle. I'm gonna try one more thing and that's to add another set of the retaining clips to the upper end of the pads. It looks like they have holes for them but not sure they didn't come with another clip. Only the bottom end of the pads have retention clips.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Where do you get extra clips? Now I have to go find some, just bought some LTS pads and they’re sitting there in the box for when I have some spare time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just ordered a set from the local Toyota dealer. About $6 for two. Some people said the ACDelco ones break after a while. They're coming in tomorrow. I'll post an update. If they keep rattling, I'm getting new pads and ditching hawk forever.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I always use two clips :dunno:
What year is your tundra and did it come with two each side from factory? My 2016 came with just one per side and it worked fine on the factory pads, but they also had a small hole and less free play.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shit I just realized I bought the wrong pads. These are for earlier Gen tundra.

I accidentally got these:
Hawk Performance HB490Y.665 LTS Brake Pad https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000K03T12/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_H3dcDb81KNP84

When these should have been the right part:
Hawk Performance HB589Y.704 LTS Brake Pad https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001UE22YW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_1.dcDbVVDVHJ8

I'm afraid spend more money on hawk pads now though even though it was my bad this time around.

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
What year is your tundra and did it come with two each side from factory? My 2016 came with just one per side and it worked fine on the factory pads, but they also had a small hole and less free play.

My 08 came with one set like most vehicles, I believe. I just always add another set to keep the pads from floating so much due to crap design.

I do the same in my T4R

·
Registered
25 Posts
So they don't rattle much these were just the wrong ones?

Anyone that has been running Hawk LTS pads for a while that can give an updated review on these?
All the threads I find are a few years old.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the new pads coming. After I put them on, I'll report back.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'll have input soon. I just replaced my rear brakes with StopTech slotted rotors and Hawk LTS pads. I mean like an hour ago. I think they're still warm from the run-in.

I'm planning to do the front next weekend.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Still rattles after putting in new correct pads plus extra retainer pin on top. Now wonder if it's rotor but how could it be? Rotors are mounted right with wheel lug nuts. Caliper bolts look tight too. So frustrating. Hawk pads are not cheap and this is my second pads. The backing plate on these pads look like the correct size but the pin holes are still a tad bigger than factory pads.

·
Administrator
10,982 Posts
Is it a rattle or grinding/rubbing noise? I've gone through several sets of hawk pads and never had a rattle. What I did have on several sets of rotors was a grinding noise from the inner rim rubbing against the dust shield. I had to grind off 1/8" of the rim on two different sets to stop the noise.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is there a lot of play between the ends of the pads and the caliper body compared to the stock pads? Is there a lot of clearance between the pad and the piston? If there is put the old pads back in and run the pistons back and forth. The pins aren’t a tight fit in my pads either they just kinda keep the pads from falling out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I watched it while I had my daughter roll and apply brakes and it looks like the front left caliper is not tight and rolling forward when I apply brakes. Gonna double check it when it cools down.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts