Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did! I am embarrassed to post the pic but hopefully someone else will check it before it gets this bad.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
I changed mine for the first time at 80k. It was dirty, but didn't have all the leaves you got. I drive 40k a year, check mine about every 3 months.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Mine looked much worse when I changed it last month...Threw it away before I could pic & post. Truck is at 107,000 miles and the ac works just like the day I bought it. These trucks are a work of art:)

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
I change mine about every three oil changes...on a side note
I have been buying the frabreeze one and it does make a difference..

·
Banned
1,853 Posts
47k miles on my truck. Have had my homemade washable filter since about 30k miles I guess. Wash it out and lysol it 1-2x per year, or every oil change...works perfect.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Reactions: NIE_Cal

·
Registered
408 Posts
47k miles on my truck. Have had my homemade washable filter since about 30k miles I guess. Wash it out and lysol it 1-2x per year, or every oil change...works perfect.
what type of filter are you using, this could be a useful how-to / mod. how about a link?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Cheap, you can get them @ Napa for $12-$15 or get them online for cheaper (rockauto has them from $5-$25), but you'll have to pay shipping, so buy them in quantity to make it worth the buy.

Change them out once a year - its not like they break the bank:)

·
Spooge Guzzler
6,318 Posts
I just pull mine out at random and check it. If it looks good, I tap it on the fence to knock some dust out and put it back in. If it has some crap in it, I run the shop vac over it, knock the dust out on the fence and put it back.
I also run everything on recirc. That probably helps cut down on outside debri.

The $12 filter I put in there almost 2 years ago, still looks like it's a week old.
And I've probably spent a whole 4 min of my life, maintaining it.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
You can get the OEM for around $15, or an aftermarket for less than $5 shipped.
I use the aftermarket, and blow it out with an air compressor between changes.
I usually blow it out and reset the service light while waiting for the oil to drain.

·
Spooge Guzzler
6,318 Posts
I Would pull it out and look at it at least every few 1000 miles. But, you can't go by a timeline or mileage. How often to check it all depends on how often the system is running, how dusty your area is, if there's a ton of bugs, trees, pollen, etc. in your area.
And then it's discretion. Does it just have light dust and can be blown or vac'd out and reused? Is it packed solid and needs to be replaced?
:dunno:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts