Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
This business with the front riding higher, and the spring bars at the trailer frame, invites the supposition that your hitch head needs to be tilted toward the trailer quite a bit more, so the spring bars can provide a lot more force and do so without closely approaching the trailer frame.

If anything, the thing to watch for with a WDH is to make sure the front doesn't sag more than the rear. Your setup is behaving as though the spring force is wholly inadequate.
No doubt there is something wrong with his set up. If the sag is still at 4 inches he may even have inadequate sized spring bars or they aren't enough. Its not going to work unless he can get his difference within an inch. I would start exactly where you all are thinking... with the set up and weight distribution system. Its obviously wrong and the crux of the problem.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
He has 1400 lbs bars. Those are the biggest ones available.

Setup is probably wrong. To get my 1200 lbs bars parallel with trailer frame with proper tongue weight I had to tilt the hitch to the max setting, hook trailer up and then use the jack to set bars.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I only scanned through this thread, as the trailer weight is way past anything I'd be interested in. But the thought that came to my mind is, what are the tires rated for on the truck? If this is pushing the limit, are the tires getting pushed to their limits; and might the front end bounce be helped by LT tires? I know my truck feels different with Michelin's instead of Bridgestones, and at these weights I'd want to be at max psi (as pointed out by music). I know that doesn't help with the WDH stuff, though.

Good luck with your daughter's procedure.

·
"Thug Counter"
824 Posts
Okay...waiting for daughter to be admitted to her room in family resource center, at the hospital. I have wifi, so I thought I would tell you guys how trip in went. I did what I said I was going to, lowering the hitch bar a notch, then inflating the air bags until the rear wheel wells were at factory height.

Sean had suggested a couple of weeks ago for our trip to Gatlinburg, to inflate tires to max pressure, so that was already done.

I had to stop once to raise the weight distribution a tad and that straightened everything out. Shortly after that, we went through the part of the trip I dreaded the most--we went across 40 miles of twisty, hilly 2 lane road. Nary a problem. In fact, I couldn't even tell I was towing. I drove sensibly and all was good. The rest of the trip was on 4 lane highway, so there wasn't any problems there.

The campground we are in, Winton Woods, is the nicest one we've stayed in, and it's crazy, because in only about a mile from downtown. Well, that's about it for now, they just called for my daughter to go to her room.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
That's one thing a lot of people forget.
Airing those tires up really helps with a load on and letting them back down helps with the ride when don't have a load on.
RTFM!..mrpht!!!

·
"Thug Counter"
824 Posts
Why isn't this in the tow/haul section? It has some good discussion in here.
I was wondering the same thing, but since it was close to what I was looking for, I started the ball rolling in my direction.

·
Banned
5,396 Posts
I do a lot of hauling, and I mean a lot!! Now, I have gone the air bag route but I have switched shock from the stock TRD to 2.5 kings w/resi. It is so awesome hauling with these shocks!! I carry over the rated maximum payload and I haven't hit the bump stops yet, even driving 80+mph on the highway. Hell, I've even did a little jump with at least 1000lbs in the back with no problems. It drives like a Cadillac when loaded. I just did a 300mi trip with 2 adults, 1 child, my tool box & a 5.7engine in the back with everything on it and barely knew it was there. So to all that hauls weight on a regular basis and is tired of bottoming out look into getting better shocks because it makes a a world of difference! !!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
"Thug Counter"
824 Posts
I do a lot of hauling, and I mean a lot!! Now, I have gone the air bag route but I have switched shock from the stock TRD to 2.5 kings w/resi. It is so awesome hauling with these shocks!! I carry over the rated maximum payload and I haven't hit the bump stops yet, even driving 80+mph on the highway. Hell, I've even did a little jump with at least 1000lbs in the back with no problems. It drives like a Cadillac when loaded. I just did a 300mi trip with 2 adults, 1 child, my tool box & a 5.7engine in the back with everything on it and barely knew it was there. So to all that hauls weight on a regular basis and is tired of bottoming out look into getting better shocks because it makes a a world of difference! !!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I've been thinking about putting 10 ply LT tires on it when my tires need changed. Of course, I'll be giving up any hopes of a good ride when I'm not towing, or have a load on.

But as my uncle told me the other day, "What do ya expect? It's a truck!"

·
Registered
497 Posts
Buy some leaf spring helpers at your local auto parts store for $25 bucks = problem solved.

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
The load position is probably a major factor.

The tundra is also known to be labeled to have "weak" leaf springs. Please note I'm not saying the tundra has "weak" leaf springs have only read it many times in posts on tt.
There's now not saying the Tundra has weak leaf springs. The Tundra as well as many other trucks on the market today have very weak suspensions overall. The reason behind this is due to people buying a truck for a family car then bitching and moaning that it rides like a truck. So the fix was to fit all vehicles regardless of type with some really soft springs to make whatever vehicle it is ride nice, all the while destroying any possibility of being able to actually use a truck for its intended purpose.

So, to combat this problem many people who haul/tow frequently have either upgraded the springs or added air-bags.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts