Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I read on another Tundra forum that if you have the back up camera you can shift the tranny into R while driving and it will turn on the rear camera. Has anyone tried this? Supposedly Toyota has done this so you can check on whatever you're towing while going down the road. This also turns on the reverse lights and freaks people out!? I have the rear camera but haven't tried this, you would think it would mess up the tranny.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I wouldn't

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
nothing back there is important enough. even if given the green light by a forum member, um, no.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yup it's true, now you give it a shot and report back. You read it on the Internet and they can't put anything on there if its not true!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
187 Posts
Wow, now that's some pretty stupid engineering from Toyota if that is true. Think about it, some idiot would do it and forget to shift back and when he stops at a red light - when the light turns green and he slams on the gas, wouldn't the truck go backward and smash the car behind it.

I see people backing up at red lights because they went out too far and forget to put it back in drive when the lights turn green, I point at them and laugh. Idiot!!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Supposedly Toyota has done this so you can check on whatever you're towing while going down the road.
LOL, Yeah, Toyota did want us to be able to check on what we are towing and thought it'd be easier to throw your tranny in reverse while driving down the higway, a switch wouldn't be safe, you know, kind of distracting... They did ,however, forget to include that info in the owner's manual, for 7 years in a row.
And they also thought it would be fun to screw with other ppl by turning your back up lights while driving down the highway at 70 miles per hr!!! Ahhh those japs have quite a sense of humor.

I'd try it if I were you :lol5:

·
Spooge Guzzler
6,318 Posts
If the roads are really slippery in the winter, sometimes I'll put the vehicle in neutral while braking/coming to a stop. The first winter I had the tundra, I accidentally pushed the column shifter all they way up to reverse. (First and only time it ever happened to me).
The tundra immediately shut down. Must be a fail safe built in, to protect the tranny. I was happy. I almost shit myself.

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
Whoever told you that is a moron. You can tell them I said so if they ask. People like that is the reason other manufacturers make you steps on the brake to shift into reverse. Your transmission doesn't check if the truck is moving before it lets you try and shift into reverse. Try going 5 mph down the road and put it into reverse. All you are going to hear is gears grinding until you shift out of reverse or until the truck stops.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Reactions: Mickey

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Whoever told you that is a moron. You can tell them I said so if they ask. People like that is the reason other manufacturers make you steps on the brake to shift into reverse. Your transmission doesn't check if the truck is moving before it lets you try and shift into reverse. Try going 5 mph down the road and put it into reverse. All you are going to hear is gears grinding until you shift out of reverse or until the truck stops.
Yup exactly, that's why I'm not stupid enough to try it. Anybody with common sense should know that this isn't right.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 44 Posts