Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone run a hydraulic winch like the Mile Marker series? Price is comparable/somewhat cheaper than a Warn Zeon which I was about to pull the trigger on when you factor in adding a second battery and something like a Hell Roaring battery isolator. Didn't find much with a search.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Decided to pull the trigger on the Mile Marker. Picked up the HI series 10.5K winch with the toyota adapter kit and a snatch block, tree saver, and some shackles thrown in for 1150 bucks. Should be here next week, when I get it mounted and tested out, I will post some pictures of the install. I am thinking that it might be the way to go if you don't want to add a second battery. Virtually unlimited duty cycle, full pulling power at idle off the power steering pump, and a two speed gearbox for skidding logs and such when you don't need every bit of the pull.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took me longer than I wanted, but the winch is in and running, just haven't rewound the cable on it yet. I am using a Rock Slide Engineering bumper, and it was designed for a Warn Zeon, so I had to tweak things just a tiny bit. The roller on this winch is pretty low in the winch mount so if I left the fairlead where it was designed to be, it would have a pretty steep angle up to the bottom roller which I didn't want. I haven't reinstalled the fairlead, but I opened up the hole a bit, and will remount it an inch or so lower when I get time tomorrow.

First impressions, the winch is extremely compact, and it is pretty handy that you can rotate the winch motor in 90 degree increments if needed (I needed).

It mounted up just fine to the baseplate designed for the Zeon.

The hardest part was routing the hoses, I will take some pictures tomorrow of how exactly I did it. The adapter kit they sell for 80 bucks is complete junk. The banjo nut is too thin to work with the bolt on the pump, and of course they don't send you another bolt. Also, it has a straight shaft welded on, totally unlike the existing line routing. Finally, it forces you to eliminate the sensor that picks up the idle under a heavy load, something I thought should be eliminated. Instead of fighting with their kit, I decided to send it back and have adapters made using the existing lines. I had a local shop cut the power steering line on each end where it went from rigid to flex, and braze on a AN style nut to match the included lines. For 80 bucks I got two perfect adapters, abrasion wrap, fittings, and some clamps. Way better than the little kit Mile Marker sells. I'll post some more pictures of the hose routing and such tomorrow when its daylight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tim, I have one of these winches and I'm trying to figure out if I need to go a similar route to install on a Tacoma. Are you able to post any more photos of the fittings installed? How's the winch working out for you?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.