Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came home from a two week out of town trip to a truck that had hail damage done to it while I was out. From I heard there was a bad storm that ran through Lawton, OK and my truck took some damage. I was thinking about parking it in my garage but decided not to because I wanted to make it look like I was home so no one would rob my place. Now for the first time in my life I have a truck with hail damage.

I just called my insurance and they will send someone out to look at my truck in 2-3 weeks. If any of you guys have any advice please let me know. I have never done this before. It just sucks to have a truck now that is all dented up.

·
Premium Member
3,713 Posts
Insurance adjuster deal with this differently in each state but depending on the severity it may be as easy as a re paint or it may be a total loss. Do you have any pics? A few years back I saw on the news about a H storm in Texas where it was 1.5" plus size hail. They interviewed a high school kid that watched his friend run out and try rolling up his windows and was TKO'd right in the parking lot. A few months after I saw bunch of cars rolling through auction up here in Utah with TX Registration stickers. It was a bad storm, I feel your pain with any kind of damage like this. Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Likely they will reccomend the dentless repair dude depending on extend of damage. I'd personally look around to locate the best body shop in town, not the cheapest or the most expensive, the best, who does Lexus or Mercedes reccomend and get an estimate for your own personal reference, the more you know the better off you will be. Likely some dents can be repaired via the paintless mode but if they all cannot be repaired then a regular body shop will be needed. In the future park in the garage and have a buddy stop by and hang out for a couple hours at night watching TV or take the dogs for a run.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No its not a total loss. Just some hail damage. I just got a call from the insurance guy and he is coming to look at the truck tomorrow. I will post pic. of the damage tomorrow.

Coachbuilder1: I was doing the same thing for my friend and got hit in the head with hail before. That was in high school also. When I got in I didn't know I was hit and I had blood coming down my face and I just thought it was rain. I still have the scar. LOL

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
you would be amazed what a "Good" PDR guy can accomplish. I would rahter have PDR work than paint work

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
Go get a couple of estimates done by a few really good body shops before the adjuster comes. Hand him copies of the estimates after he looks over the truck. At least you will have an idea of what it will cost to repair and have something to compare his estimate to. The repair shops will be a little high in their estimate and the insurance guy will be a little low in his estimate.

X

·
0 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
When I was in high school I bought a Honda Accord with hail damage from Georgia. It was totaled on the title, the guy got paid by insurance and bought the car back from them...I picked it up for $3K and it was a great car...just looked like an ex-girlfriend took a ball peen hammer to the whole thing out of lover's rage!

The damage was extensive...hood, fenders, truck lid, roof, pillars, quarter panels, etc.

Good luck with yours, I hope it is repairable and not totaled.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
You definitely want to try and avoid body work requiring paint. Paint work hurts the value of a vehicle like a bad carfax does.

PDR if you can.

·
Registered
262 Posts
At least you had full-coverage insurance when it happened... .

When I bought my Tundra few years ago, I planned on parking my Subaru for a month or two while I drove the Tundra and got it broken in--with the intent to then start reusing the Subaru as the daily and leave the Tundra for work.

Well I thought, I may as well just put liability insurance on the Subaru while it is just sitting. :cursin:

This is what happened to it (and my Mustang, but I don't have a picture of it). Luckily, the Tundra and my wife's G8 GT were in the garage.

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,231 Posts
We have been lucky over here in eastern oklahoma this year. It seems that tornado alley shifted a little west.

A problem when storms like that come through is the insurance companies and the repair shops being overwhelmed. Them telling you 2-3 weeks for an adjustor proves that. We had one a few years ago and the PDR guys and body shops were backed up for 8 months. There were PDR guys coming from Dallas and Kansas City working in the parking lots of shops to catch up.

·
Registered
964 Posts
We had one come through here recently that happened for 2 nights in a row. Flood, water damage, and hail claims are through the roof right now. At my house we had 2.5" diameter hail, and it wasn't the stuff with a hard core and lots of fluff around it, I'm talking clear hard ice 2.5" in diameter. It was crazy.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
doesn't take much to dent any vehicle nowadays and the tundra is no different. Even marble sized hail can cause 1,000's in damage and sometimes even huge pea sized hail can also. I had hail damage once and the insurance adjuster from american family ONLY gave me compensation for a bed rail liner to cover up the damage worth only about 250 bucks is all. I was so pissed at him since there were other small dents (very minor only could see if looked at them the right angle) in a few areas but the bedrail was worse and very visible. I told him this is a NEW truck (less than 6 months old) and to settle for a bed rail side cover made of plastic is total B.S. Don't let them B.S. you and get what you think is fare. I got over 500 bucks for the damage in cash and the adjuster wasn't happy but there were tons of hail claims he has gone thru on that one day I bet he was sick of his job.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have a friend in Altus, OK named Mark who runs a paint & body shop who do a ton of hail damage repair. I know they are busy right now from all of the estimates and hail repair jobs. If you call, please tell his wife Nicole that Lance from California sent you. I shot her truck for Truckin' Magazine years ago.
Skunkwerx:
201 West Kennemer,
Sayre, OK 73662
(580) 928-5005

·
Registered
238 Posts
Just realized that Sayre and Lawton aren't necessarily close to each other. -Sorry. The shop does do good work though.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The insurance guy showed up the next day before I could go to any repair shops. I was surprised that he showed up so fast. They cut me a check for $2,400. I have USAA and the guy looked over my truck and gave me the paperwork. It was fast and easy. Like I said I was surprised. I will post pic. of my truck soon.

·
Premium Member
8,113 Posts
NO WAY I would cash that check until I got some estimates and found out that they gave you enough money to cover the repairs. I just wouldn't trust his estimate unless he's willing to bust out some real body shop tools and fix it for that amount.

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
There's a PDR shop in Moore that my wife and I have both used for our vehicles that were hail damaged in the past. The work was outstanding, and done pretty quick. Let me know if you'd like the shop's info.

·
Registered
262 Posts
NO WAY I would cash that check until I got some estimates and found out that they gave you enough money to cover the repairs. I just wouldn't trust his estimate unless he's willing to bust out some real body shop tools and fix it for that amount.
This.

I had a motorcycle stolen--the insurance company instantly wanted to settle and give me a check. It was probably at least a thousand shy of what the bike was worth. I told them I would consult with my agent, etc. They then "threatened" that it would be months before we got it sorted out. at the time I really needed the money but held my ground. A week later I had a check for double the original offer... .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts