Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at getting a DA polisher. I have been using a Makita rotary for years and want to get a DA polisher. Im looking at Griot's or Rupes BigFoot LHR21ES. Has any one used both to compare? Is the Rupes really worth the extra money?

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I have the Griots and the Porter Cable. The Griots is a better smoother polisher - especially on the higher speeds like 5-6. I can use the Griots for 3-4 hrs straight whereas the PC vibrates my hands so bad I have to rest after an hour.

sorry can't comment on the Rupes. Griots makes fantastic products.

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
I have the Griots, the Flex and the Rupes 21. All three are great DA's, but the Rupes and Flex are in a different class than the Griots, and not really fair to include it in the comparison. It's like comparing a Ferarri to a Lamborghini, and throwing a Nissan Maxima in there.

Between the Flex and Rupes, I prefer the Rupes. Ergonomically, it feels great in the hands. Especially when compounding and polishing all day. Vibration is minimal, just like the Flex. The Flex is slightly heavier, but nothing drastic. The Rupes just has power and torque to burn. It will easily cut through just about anything you put in front of it.

Rupes also makes the LR15, which has a smaller throw than the 21, and a little less expensive.

I also have the Griots 3" and 6" DA's. The 6" DA is a great machine and more than plenty for most users, beginner or advanced. It's light, it's smooth and will easily correct most defects. The optional 25' cord is a nice touch too. The Griots is a true DA polisher, unlike the Rupes and Flex which are direct drive. It's nearly impossible to damage your paint with the Griots, but if you have been using the Makita for years, you are familiar with the pressure and speed game. The only way to damage your paint with the Griots is to drop it on the hood.

If you don't care about the price of the Rupes over the Griots, by all means, get the Rupes and never look back. The Griots will be a great machine in your arsenal, but damn those Italians sure know how to make a polisher.

Hope that helps,

Mark

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mark I'm leaning towards the Rupes at this point. Im afraid that the Griots would be more of a toy compared to what I have been using but I may be wrong. What pads and compounds do you use?

·
Premium Member
3,283 Posts
I agree with Jumbo.... everything I've read Rupes and Griots aren't in the same league. But Griots is definitely better than most of your big box store brands.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
has anyone tried the Meguiar's MT300 or the chemical guys Torq 10FX

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
I mostly use Menzerna FG400 for compounding and follow with Sonax 4/6 Perfect Finish to jewel it out. It's an amazing combo with the Rupes.

For pads, I'll use an orange cutting pad or Surbuf MF pad. Jeweling is always a green Über pad.

·
Premium Member
3,918 Posts
I don't want to hijack the thread but I have a question for Jumbo. The Sonax Perfect Finish looks like an awesome product, I just watched a couple videos on Detailers Domain. My question is after using the Pefect Finish, should any other product be applied? I have been using Menzerna Power Lock as a final step.

Oh and for the OP, I am using a Griots DA based on Jumbos suggestion from the detailing guru thread and I love it. However, I'm a rookie with detailing and I wanted a machine that would make it difficult to hurt my paint with. Good luck with whichever you choose.

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
I don't want to hijack the thread but I have a question for Jumbo. The Sonax Perfect Finish looks like an awesome product, I just watched a couple videos on Detailers Domain. My question is after using the Pefect Finish, should any other product be applied? I have been using Menzerna Power Lock as a final step.

Oh and for the OP, I am using a Griots DA based on Jumbos suggestion from the detailing guru thread and I love it. However, I'm a rookie with detailing and I wanted a machine that would make it difficult to hurt my paint with. Good luck with whichever you choose.

Sonax 4/6 can be your last polish. I'll do FG400 followed by 4/6 and go straight to sealant after a quick wipe down with Menzerna Top Inspection. The FG400 and 4/6 combo will cut and jewel so well, nothing else will be needed.

The technique I use is FG400 with a MF cutting pad. I'll leave the 400 on the car, then switch pads and go directly over it with 4/6. Then I'll buff that off. This technique saves me a good amount of time by only having to buff off residue once. I do this one panel at a time until I've worked my way around the car. Doesn't take too long.

Your Griots is an amazing DA polisher, easily one of the best on the market. In my opinion, it blows away the PC. It will spin a larger 6.5" pad so much better than the PC, but I still prefer the 5.5" pads with it. Many people think the Griots is a beginners only DA, but with proper pads and compound combos, you can do some serious correction with it. It is a very safe machine for starters, but seriously accurate in the hands of an experienced detailer.

Mark

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mark would you recommend the 15 over the 21 if its going to be my only da

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
Mark would you recommend the 15 over the 21 if its going to be my only da

The only difference between the two is the throw. The 15 is more than adaquate for most detailers. The bodies are the same, same soft start and trigger speeds. Both will properly spin a larger 6.5" pad, but you'll have to buy a 5" backing plate for smaller 5.5" pads if you get the 21. The backing plate is $50.....not cheap. If I had to do it over again, I would probably just get the 15.

Either one you choose, it's going to be a complete game changer from what you're used to.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
I have used them all and the Rupes Bigfoot is hands down my favorite. This will cut your time in half vs a porter cable & as an added bonus you don't feel as though your arms are vibrating for 2 days when you're done! LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts