Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a 3rd generation griots da I found one at auto geek but it was out of stock and the one kit at dd wasn't a rd generation it came with all the pads i wanted i just wanted the 3rd gen model. so now I have found one at auto anything but I now I have to find the 5 inch backing plate and some 5.5 inch pads. Can anyone suggest a place for a backing plate and does it matter which brand I go with? I'm new into the da's so I'm not really sure. I have found 5 packs of uber pad a details domain but can't find a backing plate any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I have been on there for a couple of hours I'm just not sure about the back plates if they are universal so one for a porter cable would fit the griot. I think it will but I'm not sure. I wish they had the 3rd generation deal that includes 10 pads but its the Second gen model. I guess I will email them and see if they will substitute it. :)
Thanks again for the code didn't know about that

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts
Yes, they are universal. DD has both the Meguiras plates and the Über plates in 5".

http://www.detailersdomain.com/Meguiars-5-DA-Polisher-Backing-Plate-W67DA_p_586.html

http://www.detailersdomain.com/Uber-5-inch-Vented-Dual-Action-Hook-Loop-Backing-Plate_p_762.html

I have the Über plate, but it won't make much of a difference with either one.

For what it's worth, both the second gen. and third gen. Griots DA's are exactly the same on the inside. They only changed the outside casing to look more like their 3" DA.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am moving from an 8 inch orbital way out of date machine to this. On auto geek it says the outside was redesigned for comfort. That doesn't tell me much since I have never seen one up close in your opinion is the gen 3 a lot more comfortable than the 2nd? No one around here has one I can hold to tell so I'm going at this blind kind of. That's for the info on the internals that is good to know

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts
Yes, they just changed the outer casing to look and feel more like the 3" version. I have the 3" version and the second gen. as well. The 3rd gen version should feel more comfortable to people that do not like to use the "U" handle. I like the U handle on the big one, but love the feel of just palming the little one. I guess it's just personal preference.

If youre jumping up to a Griots after using those big 8" dinosaurs, you're in for quite a treat. Like I mentioned before, the guts on both machines are exactly the same, but I personally like the look of the 3rd gen machine. There are times when I like to palm it instead of using the handle. But palming the 2nd gen is no big deal either. You'll win with either version, they are amazing DA's.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does the gen 2 handle have the 6 position handle or is that just the gen 3 that has that feature. I didn't know if the gen 2 had a handle with no adjustments and if that is what made it different from the gen 3. I have seen the porter but after reading your reviews I am opting for the Griot's. Thanks for all your help I really appreciate the advice and information

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts
Yes, gen 2 has adjustable handle as well.

The Porter Cable is a good machine, but the Griots is much better. Much more torque and will not bog down as easily as the PC does. I have the PC as well and I rarely use it anymore.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again, I will see if they will bundle the gen 3 with all the pads if not I guess will take the deal with the gen 2

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tridacna and Jumbo Jet just wanted to say thanks for the advice and discount code. I ordered the griot orbital today I found out it was a 3rd generation model so I am looking forward to receiving it and trying it out. Thanks again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts