Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Motor vehicle

Will write up the how to later on tomorrow for those interested. But here is how it turned out. The badges are off and painted. Just not sure if I want to put em on or not. Kinda like be look of the debadged Radiant Red. :D

T_BONE

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks good naked brugh
Yeah I think so too. I absolutely Dispise chrome!! Lol. But i have been thinking of doing the grill emblem red. Just to give it a Lil something to break up the black.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Looks great! I color matched my Tacoma's chrome grill and it looked good, but I got rock chips easily. I think the method i used wasnt a good one. So, yes, Id like to know what method you used for yours. Im wanting to do the same with my Tundra.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will sit down tonight and do a how to on this. It was a learning experience for me. Maybe I can help some others from making the same mistakes I did at first! Lol. As far as the black out process, BHLM is next, then the M1 bumpers front and back. ;)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yeah I think so too. I absolutely Dispise chrome!! Lol. But i have been thinking of doing the grill emblem red. Just to give it a Lil something to break up the black.
Blacked out!!

Attachments

Reactions: Southern4x4

·
Registered
100 Posts
I too am interested in how you did this. My truck has a blacked out grill but it's showing some road hazard chips and nicks. It could use a touch up, if not a complete re-do.

Dave

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Automotive exterior Grille Bumper Vehicle Car

Sooooo, the first coat of Krylon Fusion looked awesome. But after 24 hours of curing, it did not stick to the chrome plastic. :mad: I stripped all of the badges and the grill trim back to original and started over. This time I sanded everything with 300 grit sandpaper and the big areas I used an orbital sander to scuff every visible area of the chrome. Hard to tell from the pic, but they are really dull looking before primer.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Green

I used bulldog bonding agent then sprayed the primer on top of that. The pic above showers the finished primer job. At this point I had about 30 minutes prep time and spraying was literally just a few seconds. Lol

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Motor vehicle

Here is the finished product. I let it cure for a little more than 24 hours before putting it back onto the truck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tire Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior

For some reason I can only upload one picture per post!!!:mad:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Think I am going to be leaving it de-badged for now but all the badges are done with the red 3M double sided tape if I decide to change my mind. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know this write up is not the best, but if you have questions feel free to ask. It really was a simple task.

·
Registered
172 Posts
great work!, i made my grill matte black. now after seeing your debadging ...i am definately going to do that

i used a rustoleum self etching primer..bonded perfectly to plastic and steel.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts