Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Metallurgically, what are the opinions out there regarding the quality of the 2000 Toyota Tundra's frame, suspensions, rack & pinion, ball joints, etc? I have seen more than a few posts suggesting all of the 2000 Tundras should have had a recall on them for the above areas & not just a few particular series. My front rt wheel fell off yesterday while traveling 5mph in middle of town! I had however just returned from a 160 mile trip hunting up in the Colo mtns so I consider myself blessed to say the least! I almost now distrust even idea of purchasing original Toyota replacement parts & look forward to your opinions on that.
Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are absolutely correct! I am the second owner of this truck-bought it in 2006 with 110K miles on it. It now has 270K so I certainly cannot complain about it too much! Will get back to you as soon as I get all details from my mechanic today. The initial problem started with the power steering getting slushy about 4 days ago. I purged the system, changing the PS fluid, raised front end, racked it w/engine off, lowered it, started it & racked it again, cleaned screen in reservoir, etc, but it didn't seem to solve the problem completely --then the front rt wheel fell off yesterday. Using MOOG parts on replacement

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Back on the road! Mechanic replaced both lower ball joints-the front rt one had corroded & fell off.
He also replaced CV axle shaft & steering rack mounting bushing. Took truck hunting yesterday-in 4WD for about 3 miles-took it out, drove down to hwy-pulled onto hwy & it felt like front rt tire had gone flat (but wasn't)-was making some grating noises-but then stopped & was able to drive into town where I pulled tire off & inspected CV joint, wheel spin, etc-nothing apparent except I noticed 6 equally-spaced burn marks on metal cover of CV joint where it attaches to wheel. Did figure 8's in parking lot-everything seemed normal. Drove 60 miles back home with no problems.
Took truck in to mechanic just now-told him my story-he said it was prbly due to 4wd not having disengaged fully & he would ask his mechanic about the burn spots-did that come from the factory like that?
Comments? Nothing like having a wheel fall off to make you super-sensitive!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.