Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my truck on a trip from northeast texas to estes park, colorado. On the way up there I averaged 17.5 mpg. On the way back I averaged 19 mpg. That is much better than my 15 I got with my Titan.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone else notice this?

Y'all go light on me. First time to post. I have a 5.7 Crew Max Limited. Have 4500 miles on it now. (In one month! I made a couple of trips out to Fort Worth as we have a new Grandson there.) Anyway ---- back to gas mileage. I have noticed something unusual. On the interstate at 70 mph I will see 19 + mpg for the first 50 miles or so. After that the avg mpg starts to fall. On the long tips I have taken I see 17.5----18 mpg at the end of the trip. Do you suppose that Toyota manipulated the ECU programming to run a bit leaner for the first 50 miles or so in order to maximize the EPA highway rating?

By the way, These are great truck aren't they? I was just about to buy another GMC and I drove this Tundra and I was sold.

J. Patterson
Alabama

·
Registered
39 Posts
Iam avg about 14.5 to 15 and that mixs drive and a right feet that like to streacht out all the time My speed is about 70 t0 80 on the hwy and 45 to 60 around town
So i'm happy:D it not the 25 I was get in my S60 but hay it ain't and S60 is it :rolleyes:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Not impressed with City MPG

I've been driving TUNKA most of June. My daily commute is just under 5 miles, and occasionally drive to the Island of Douglas approx 12 miles.
So I'm getting 13.5-8 mpg with my 4.7l. I'm curious is this about right?
I was wondering when do the gears shift at what rpm, and is it because I'm driving too slow:D creating an inefficient use of my motor?:eek:

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
4X4 or 4X2 with the good mileage?

·
Registered
21 Posts
im getting about 17.5 or a little better on a 12 mile commute with my 4.7l.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Interesting, so are you out and off the driveway to your home at what speed? I don't get over 50mph, average 37mph. As I leave home cruise at 30-35, then get up to 50mph and back down to 35mph then back to 45-50mph; in four miles maybe I should have bought a Yaris Coupe? ;-)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Looks like you take the biggest hit on MPH during the first 2-3 minutes of cold starts. I'm able to keep mine at 19.5MPG when each trip is around 10 miles. If the trips are less than 5 miles, especially after cold starts, I have a hard time keeping it above 18MPG.

I must say that the 5.7L 2x4 is WAY more efficient than my 2000 4.7L 2x4. At best I was averaging 16 MPG. Driving style and driving distance/location have not changed, and I'm now consistently getting >19MPG. I LOVE MY NEW TUNDRA.

While I say my driving style hasn't changed, I must admit, I am much more aware of my efficiency now that I have the instant and avg MPG displayed while I drive. It's almost a game to see how good I can get a tank.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Confused why is the 4.7 heavier on Gas!

Ok, so I have 4x4 but I don't drive in 4x4 unless conditions dictate, therefore 4x2 regular driving.
So the 4x2 truck is lighter, by how much more than 4x4 I'm not sure.
But why is the the 5.7l lighter on gas than the 4.7l?:eek:

·
Registered
89 Posts
17.5 mixed hwy/city

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.