Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2015 4WD V8 5.7L (engine model 3UR-FE) Double Cab w/ a tow package. Looks like this travel trailer is close to my towing limits. Has anyone towed this camper or one with a similar weights?

Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Pulling it wont be a problem. Stopping is always the important issue. Is having a brake controller an option? Sway control?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pulling it wont be a problem. Stopping is always the important issue. Is having a brake controller an option? Sway control?
Thanks a bunch! The Tundra has the tow package and it has a brake controller. The trailer comes with a weight distribution hitch and considering air bags. Do you think the airbags will help?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Some folks will tell you that airbags will allow you to tow more but i dont think thats true. It helps with tongue weight and preventing your back end from squatting down.

As unsexy as it sounds, the biggest thing when you are pulling that much weight is driving attitude. Leave lots of space in front of you. Dont speed - its not a race. Everyone is gonna pass you. No big deal.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The towing capacity for your truck is 9300 lbs. I would think that your are going to be over the limit for your truck by a substantial amount, and it will not be a comfortable (or safe) towing experience.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Some folks will tell you that airbags will allow you to tow more but i dont think thats true. It helps with tongue weight and preventing your back end from squatting down.

As unsexy as it sounds, the biggest thing when you are pulling that much weight is driving attitude. Leave lots of space in front of you. Dont speed - its not a race. Everyone is gonna pass you. No big deal.
Great sound advice!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks a bunch! The Tundra has the tow package and it has a brake controller. The trailer comes with a weight distribution hitch and considering air bags. Do you think the airbags will help?
The airbags WILL help! I have a 2008 SR5 Crewmax with the tow pkg and I added Firestone air bags to help with towing my 30' RV. It definitely helps with the squatting and keeping the front end alignment and where it's supposed to be. You might also want to upgrade your tires if you haven't already. The stock tires on a tundra are only 4 ply. You might want to think about upgrading to 10 ply LT tires to carry the extra weight. I have 285/75-18 10 ply tires and they really help handle the load.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The airbags WILL help! ..... upgrading to 10 ply LT tires
All these things (tires and air bags) are good ideas, but they won’t increase your safe tow capacity. That’s dictated by the axle and suspension. I’d suggest that towing right at (or more than) the tow capacity for short distances (hauling the camper 10 miles to the local state park) might be OK, but a road trip will be risky. Stopping distance, trans oil temp, emergency handling will all be compromised. I’ll post the spreadsheet I use to gauge whether I’m exceeding anything. Let me get to my laptop.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I concur with BillDig... I would call that combination not safe. I think you would not be a happy camper; either get a bigger truck, or a lighter trailer. I don't know what elevation you live at, but if you tow anyplace that is going to be rolling terrain at higher elevations, your engine power is reduced noticeably... it will suck climbing grades.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My Imagine 2670mk is about 1300 lbs lighter. Tows good but I would not go heavier. Lots of folks do, however. Tundra Grand Haulers FB site link....lots of experience....

·
Registered
180 Posts
I pull a Grand design 295rl 5th wheel with a 2011 5.7 4x4. Truck does great, just got back from a mtn trip (7.1 mpg up hill). Just take your time, its not race and stay at 65 which is the limit on all trailers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a Jayco QB29 that weighs about 6900 lbs dry. I live at 9000' and to go anywhere I have to pull a pass to get out of town for camping. The truck has a P3 brake controller and Equalizer stabilizing hitch. The back end definitely squats with the approx 750 lbs of tongue weight, but I am not exceeding capacities on anything. I'll likely get a diesel if I don't downsize my camper; it just seems to be maxed at my elevation and would feel more confident with diesel engine braking, added weight of 3/4-1 ton and likely stronger brakes. Still, to get over 10k and 11k foot passes, I'm running uphill from 35 mph to 45 mph and downhill I run as fast as I feel safe, which isn't fast. Many on this forum have said it: it's not a race when you're pulling a bunch of weight.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have towed that exact trailer. Tundra did fine. My final trailer weight was 9500 lbs from the scales. Towed the 297RSTS for 6000 miles. No tranny temp issues or anything. The one thing to note is that I did have some really heavy cross winds on a trip to Florida with this combo and the wind did move me over 2 - 3' on occasion. I was also over my payload on the 2009 CrewMax by about 300 lbs as weighed on the scales.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts