Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is it ok to use a bolt as a receiver pin?

I have been on quest to find a receiver pin that fits our super thick receivers but doe not interfere with the safety chain hooks.

I accepted that I would not be able to find a locking pin so a bolt seemed like the best option.

A 4" bolt with washers (filed down to avoid welds) on both sides, a lock washer, and nut is pretty low profile. The bolt is flush with the end of the nut when everything is tightened up.

I marked the nut and will periodically check it but it seems like a good low cost solution.
I can always tack weld or loctite if needed.

Obvious drawbacks are that is is not locked and that it takes tools to remove but it was only $4.60

Reactions: Ogtoyfan

·
Registered
116 Posts
My brother-in-law has towed many trailers with a similar set up and never seems to have an issue. I'm unsure if he bothered to get a grade 8 bolt though. I actually have thought of doing the same thing as you for exactly the same reason (I really don't like how Toyota designed the safety chain hooks on the receiver). I'm interested to see how this works for you.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
the bolt itself will be strong enough, however I would worry about the nut loosening..

You can and should find a stamped locknut, sometimes called an all steel lock nut, crimp nut... It is a locking nut where either a dimple is stamped into the side or three dimples in the top, or it is not actually round but kinda tri-oval. It locks on better than nylocks and stays tight better than standard nuts with lockwashers.

At the very least I would use some loctite.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
I have a trimax locking pin (stainless) and it doesn't necessarily interfere with hooks, then again, I'm not towing trailers that have high enough capacity to use a pintle hitch (my trailer has smaller hooks )

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
Grade 8 bolt should work fine. Even a nylock should work fine to keep it in place. Or you could use some Loctite.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This trailer is not particularly heavy but it does have some big ass hooks.

I do like the pintle in general. It allows for more articulation and just seems more secure to me.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
cool trailer

·
Registered
415 Posts
I do agree the notches for the safety chains should have been cut/stamped the opposite direction so they point out instead of inward.

Luckily they work well with my locking pin and trailer setup...for now.

I do agree with Powertechn2 on the locking nuts and locktite

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,237 Posts
I bought a receiver pin from a member here and it was too short.

I bought one from Wally World and it worked.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
just fyi, a grade 8 5/8 bolt strength is 27100 proof load and
33900 tensile strength min/lb...

I was using 1/2 in gr8 bolts to attach my hooks to my recovery/anti ass pack hitches I make, and decided that welding is far easier, some thought it was stronger to weld, in reality the only reason I started welding is that it's a pita to tighten all steel lock nuts inside a 2x2od tube... Wrenches don't fit worth a g'damn.

So, as I stated before, my only worry would be the nut backing off.

nylocks are taller, and in the pic I see, a nylock nut would not actually engage the nylon enough to stay tight.

If you don't think you are likely to remove it very soon/often, use red loctite or green if you wanna be a bastard and keep people from stealing it, or an all steel lock nut, whatever you want to call it, or both.

·
Registered
408 Posts
That would be funy as hell to watch that hitch come off on the highway :-0

·
Registered
92 Posts
You can buy a Master lock, part number 1469DAT that will fit the Tundra hitch.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
You can buy a Master lock, part number 1469DAT that will fit the Tundra hitch.
Fwiw, I bought one of those, last january/feb it was fine, lubed it, in march went to remove it and it was seized solid, air hammered that pos off, called master and they said I needed to lube it.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got this from Wal-Mart with the hitch for $35

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
The left side is what I was trying to avoid. So far, I have not had any issues and no one has stolen the hitch. I think it is a keeper.

Also found the receipt and the parts were only $3.60 so even more of a win.

·
Banned
5,396 Posts
The left side is what I was trying to avoid. So far, I have not had any issues and no one has stolen the hitch. I think it is a keeper.

Also found the receipt and the parts were only $3.60 so even more of a win.
It looks like its in the way but its actually not

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 18 of 18 Posts