Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've searched around and the general consensus is that our Tundy's will run fine on 87 gasoline. So what I couldn't find out was if there would be any benefit if every now and then...saaaaaaay.....every 5 fill ups if I put a higher Octane like 93 in for one fill up. Would this have any benefit? Help "clean" things out a little?

Floor is open.....

·
Banned
3,314 Posts
Nope.

I did a couple tanks on premium to see if my MPgs would improve. Nope. Wallet got lighter.

Usually all the grades have the same or similar additive packages. Only thing that might make a difference is running non-ethanol gas, but that's chit is spendy and we only have one station around here hat sells it.

From what I understand, high octane is for high compression or FI engines. Beyond having a higher ignition temp (and higher price), there are no perceivable benefits.

You'd probably be better off running some snake oil through the gas tank, like marvels mystery oil, or here is the stuff I use from Kano labs, kreen-
http://www.kanolabs.com/engCle.html

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
574 Posts
No Supercharger? No need to run 93.

I run 93 in my BiTurbo car and motorcycle because it demands it, but I ain't running anything higher than I need to.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Running 93 oct. will lighten your wallet a bit, that could be viewed as freeing up some horsepower.
But it cuts into the beer fund.
So probably not a worthwhile tradeoff.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
can of Seafoam thrown in a tank every 6 months. Good Stuff.
That's what I was going to say. And maybe doing an actual SeaFoam through the intake every 50k or so ..

·
Registered
497 Posts
I get better MPG with 91 Non-E.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I've read using higher octane is actually harmful to the engine. The engine doesn't burn it effectively, thus leaving carbon deposits. It doesn't all burn, so it has to sit somewhere.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
As long as you're using top tier fuel it will contain the necessary detergents so you won't need an additive like seafoam.
Top Tier Gasoline

·
Registered
574 Posts
In Colorado the lowest octane you can get is 87.

Back East I used to buy 85. It was 85 87 91 I think

Here its 87 91 93 I think.

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
Higher octane gas is harder to burn for engines with higher compression and forced induction. Running a higher octane then recommended will actually be bad because you could have unburned exhaust going out your exhaust.

·
He Has Risen!
6,318 Posts
I've read using higher octane is actually harmful to the engine. The engine doesn't burn it effectively, thus leaving carbon deposits. It doesn't all burn, so it has to sit somewhere.
Higher octane gas is harder to burn for engines with higher compression and forced induction. Running a higher octane then recommended will actually be bad because you could have unburned exhaust going out your exhaust.
Nope.
I used to think that, but I misunderstood.
Higher % of octane makes the fuel more resistant to igniting from pressure alone. That's why it's needed for higher compression/forced induction. Doesn't make it burn slower.
Introduce a spark and they all burn at the same rate.

·
He Has Risen!
6,318 Posts
Can I add a twist? What about 85 Octane in higher elevations, 5k'? Does it hurt the engine?
Atmosphere is thinner as you elevate. A naturally aspirated engine is going to pull in less volume of air and less o2 p/volume and create slightly less compression at higher elevation. At 5k, you only need 85% octane to keep the fuel from pre-detonating.
But, if your elevation fluctuates greatly, I would just run 87.

·
He Has Risen!
6,318 Posts
Would this have any benefit? Help "clean" things out a little?

Floor is open.....
Your engine's compression is what determines what % octane you need in your fuel. That's all there is too it.
The fuel itself won't create more compression or better performance. And higher octane has nothing to do with cleanliness. Just compression.
Whatever the sticker says is the minimum octane, is what you're good with. You only need more octane if you modify your engine to make more compression.
"Premium", "ultra", "super", etc, is misleading.
Another myth I've heard 1000 times on the forums is that these trucks can sense higher octane and advance timing, make more power, etc.
um,.....no.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts