Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've been doing some calculating over the past few days and even at the small amount of miles I drive per year, at 6k, I'd save over $1100 in fuel by switching to a Civic puling 30 mph.

With that said, I did my due diligence and searched KBB and the local craigslist.

KBB said 15-20 basically, the low end being trade in and the high end being private party.

Craigslist was telling me about 18 would be a good listing price for my truck.

So, yesterday, I walked into the Volkswagen dealership to test drive a Golf TDI with 6 speed manual. It was an absolute blast to drive, but at 26k, it doesn't save me any money ultimately to PAY for fuel economy.

I had them appraise my truck. They take about 20 minutes and apologize for the length of time it took. I go in to this guy's office and sit down with him, and before he even had a chance to go over with it, I saw the number my truck was worth.

He starts by telling me he's doing a great job by knocking off $800 from the MSRP of this 25,900 vehicle. Then tells me my truck is worth TWELVE THOUSAND DOLLARS. I stood up at hearing that and told him no dice and that I was completely offended by that offer.

He asked me "Well what can I do to sell you a car today????" in a totally frantic voice since he lost a sale. I told him we might be able to talk at halfing this 13k difference. So his response was, how about we do 7.5 remainder. I told him that 7.5 isn't half of 13 and walked out telling him I'd contact him Monday. I'll let him sweat it for a few days and call him back telling him I'd do maybe 3-4k on this deal. Since 3-4 isn't doable... I will be enjoying a NICE AND RELIABLE truck for many more years.

My thinking is 26-18=8.... so he'd have to knock about 4-5k off the price and give me top dollar for my truck.

Anyway, after leaving Volkswagen I took my truck to Carmax. They offered me 12.5k. What in the world is wrong with Tundras?

Btw, if you think resale is a big selling point when buying a new car, I'd rather have 10k off a new Chevy and sell it for 11 vs my 12.

-rockstate

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
The vehicle is only worth what whoever is sitting across the table is willing to pay. A favored saying among car dealers is "Alright then, good luck getting Kelly Blue Book to write you a check for your truck."

Personally, I am confused as to how you think you are saving money in the big picture. People only take into account gas costs, they don't think about the money they pay for the new vehicle. Whatever the new car costs you should be taken into account. Your real savings don't start until after the fuel consumption difference has made up for the cost of the new purchase. IF you pay 15K for a used Civic and you think you will save 1100 per year, do the math and see how many years it takes for the gas savings to pay for the car. Do you think you will hold onto it for over 13 years?

I will pay off my 09 Crewmax next year and hold it for as long as I can no matter how much gas costs. Makes more sense than paying 20K or more for a more economical vehicle so I can save 50 or 100 bucks per month in gas. I have just never understood the math behind these types of decisions. The only way it really works is if you pay a few thousand for a cheap beater that gets 25 or 30 mpg. When I actually need a new vehicle maybe I will take gas mileage into consideration then, but I will not un load a perfectly good truck to get into another new vehicle to on gas.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah, I'm with you on that one entirely. The truck is paid for, so a straight switch is ideal. If I'm not mistaken, you pay sales tax on the difference. Switching to the VW would be fun so it's not purely for fuel savings, but also for getting a new vehicle without 80k miles on it. With that said, I'd be content with "breaking even" on the fuel ownership for a year or so.

The thing about it is, I drive another vehicle around the house that I'm not putting gas into. So, I probably drive more than 6k miles, but more like 8-10. Once I don't have that alternative, it'd really pay for itself.

Now that I know my truck is worth 12k, it ain't goin' anywhere. I'd CONSIDER picking up a beater but again, it doesn't make financial sense to spend 3-6k for fuel economy. I've read enough on these forums to know haha.

I'll just put lots and lots of fuel in my truck and get to know every gas station attendant around here until it gets tired and worn out.

-rockstate

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
If you have 80K that has alot to do with it. That is getting into the range where they're probably not even going to try to keep it on the lot, they'd probably ship it off to auction.

Reactions: Wacked and Ogtoyfan

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
In the last 15 years, I have only traded in one vehicle. You just loose too much money. The dealership is going to give you wholesale, put a detail and fix a few things, tires etc. then put it on the lot for max retail. That is usually a difference of 4-5k dollars.

Sell it yourself.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One of the good things about my truck, too, is that all of my modifications are removable. I have factory mirrors, factory exhaust and the rest doesn't have replacements. It's quite nice to have that in my back pocket

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Your problem is trade in dealer won't give you jack. If you can wait sell it out right. It might take a little longer but you will be able to get more out of it. I never sell mine to a dealer. And any smart dealer will tell you that. It not worth it to trade it in. But to sell out right.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
753 Posts
rockstate45, before anyone considers a Volkswagen (especially a TDI) I ALWAYS, STRONGLY suggest that they FULLY know & understand what the maintenance costs will be for a VW BEFORE THEY BUY IT. This is especially true if you do not work on your own vehicles and have some of the "special VW tools" that most people do not have. Also, one should also NEVER, EVER buy a VW unless there are a few VW dealerships within a reasonable distance from where they live. Lastly, VWs are not Toyotas, one MUST keep up with scheduled maintenance and repairs or you will pay dearly in more ways than one.

Don't get me wrong, VWs are much better now than they were 5-10 years ago. When it comes to the TDI technology in VWs, one MUST know what they are doing in order to work on them so taking a TDI to just any garage is not an option.

One final warning, if you do get a TDI VW, NEVER, EVER, EVER let anyone else put fuel in it. If someone puts gas in a VW TDI you can kiss $10-15K goodbye before you can say "Awww F**K me". A good friend of mine who is a Master VW Tech has told me a lot of horror stories of wives and teenagers who did this and it was not pretty. BTW, I own VWs myself and know a lot of techs and people in the VW community so I speak from experience.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
My family owned a VW when I was growing up and it was a money pit. The yearly repair cost was many times over the price we paid for the car itself. Explains why none of us (one brother and two sisters) bought a VW, ever.

Reactions: Wacked and Ogtoyfan

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have had good luck with using CarMax when considering trading a vehicle. Once I sold them the car and put the cash toward the next. The second time I simply used it as negotiating leverage with my Toyota dealer. One of the reasons I think they offer competitive trade/buy pricing is because they have a huge network to move your car along after they buy it, even compared to your local dealer. It's at least worth a stop in, if for no other reason than to see how they compare to what dealerships are offering. There are few things more fun than negotiating a good sale price on a vehicle, moving on to the trade talk, and then whipping out the offer from CarMax that's $2,000-$3,000 more after they try to slap you around.

Also, I don't know why anyone really gives a dang about what the dealer offers you on trade. We all know the difference between your trade and the new car is the only number worth talking about. You don't care if they give you high trade or low sales price on the new car. It's all the same.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
wow ive always had good luck on trades.....i guess it just depends on the dealer, where you live, and the demand of that vehicle in your area.....

...........and what he said about VW is 100% correct. the mechanic i know that works for them laughs the whole way home every day in his tundra from the vw service dept he works in.

If you want a new fun car that gets good mpg look into the new scion FR-S or whatever the heck its called. if not new then look into a mr2 or celica gts.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Want to get really depressed about what they'll offer you for a vehicle?

Go buy a brand new one from them.
Drive it home.
Drive it back the next day and ask to trade it in.
You'll be damned lucky if you're within 5 or 6K.

·
"The Midnight Modder"
11,213 Posts
Go from a mansion to a studio and you will regret it. Keep the tundrs for another 5 years and save to pay cash when you are ready to buy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,237 Posts
A buddy of mine had a 2012 platinum 4x4 with the 5.7 flexfuel and hated the way it pulled his boat from a dead stop. He drove it for a full year and traded it the other day for a new 2013 Ford FX 4x4 with the ecoboost for the transfer fee of $176.00.

Reactions: Wacked

·
Registered
415 Posts
A buddy of mine had a 2012 platinum 4x4 with the 5.7 flexfuel and hated the way it pulled his boat from a dead stop. He drove it for a full year and traded it the other day for a new 2013 Ford FX 4x4 with the ecoboost for the transfer fee of $176.00.
Haha what? Throttle too touchy? Weird... so $176.00 was the only additional he had to pay?!

Reactions: Wacked
1 - 20 of 57 Posts