Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the bumper arrived last night at 10pm. Helped the guy get it off the trailer and unpacked it. Started taking my factory plastic bumper off and installing the new one. Still have to adjust it out some more and I forgot to take 2 brackets off when I put it on. I'm going to pull it back off when I get home to do that. Pretty straight forward on putting it on but didn't know what I had to remove as far as those braces up front. I'll get better pics and the sun comes out.

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
Holy Moly that's a lot of bumper!! Is that for protecting or inflicting?

Did you have a link to a thread that has how to remove the stock bumper that you used? I have this to go on mine"

[/URL][/IMG]

I am just waiting on the weather and to balls to attempt it.

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts

Did you have a link to a thread that has how to remove the stock bumper that you used? I have this to go on mine"

[/URL][/IMG]

It's pretty straight forward. You will prob have to take off everything including the cross member. It should then bolt to the existing holes.

On my 06 had to remove outer skin, foam insert, cross member, rest of the bumper, radiator support that runs up the center and cut fender liners after lined up.

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
wow,

looks like a mad max truck

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
I have always wondered what the legality of having an aftermarket bumper? Is that DOT legal?
Sup as long as it is not welded on and does not affect the safety equip, ie air bags.

That's what my local office told me before I pulled the trigger.

Mines welded on anyway, as well as bolted. It did not affect my airbags other than the fact it will take a much more major hit to deploy them, I think!

The railroads bumpers and some of the service trucks bumpers are larger than mine.

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
That is quite the cow catcher you have there. They charged me an extra $50 for a bumper without their name cut into it. After dealing with their "customer service" I'm glad I paid not to advertise them.
damn... thats HUGE... i bet whoever tries to brake check you will think twice, lol.
You would think so but people still do it. Though mine's not as big as the OP's.
Sup as long as it is not welded on and does not affect the safety equip, ie air bags.

That's what my local office told me before I pulled the trigger.

Mines welded on anyway, as well as bolted. It did not affect my airbags other than the fact it will take a much more major hit to deploy them, I think!

The railroads bumpers and some of the service trucks bumpers are larger than mine.
I think the airbags would deploy easier than stock. The airbag sensor goes by G force to deploy. A stock bumper has a crumple zone (rated for 5 mph) so it would absorb some of the impact before the frame and body starts to crumple. The steel bumper loses that little crumple zone and is bolted to the frame so G forces are increased. That's why I think the airbags would deploy easier.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Now I know why your username is Reaper :) cool bumper post some pics of the carnage after you run over a herd of deer.
Are you adding a winch ? Is your suspension just spacers if so did you get much sag

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Now all you need to do is go up 12 inches so that bumper looks even more badass :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

[/URL][/IMG]

You have to remove all the little factory cross brackets. Only one that stays is the center vertical one. They didn't send any instructions with it. I ended up taking it off and on 3 times. Best thing to do is use smitty built m1 instructions. It's pretty much the same process and it shows you pictures.

·
Premium Member
6,820 Posts
that thing is sick. It would look so weird on my stock 1794 though. lol I cant wait to get my truck color matched.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
that thing is sick. It would look so weird on my stock 1794 though. lol I cant wait to get my truck color matched.
I wanted something different, truck would look better if i lifted it but i have to much Harley stuff going on and daycare bill is not helping.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts