Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been enduring the too small stock BFG's on my Rock Warrior because I am to cheap to replace a good tire.

But after agonizing what to replace it with and not really wearing them out I replaced them with 305/70/17 Terra Grapplers. With the 5100's I didn't know if I wanted to stuff 35's in there and deciding on the Terra Grapplers I couldn't because the next size up is a 325/70 and that is too wide for the RW wheel. These are much like running the 295/70/18 which I have done for a few customers and they fit well.

I am obligated to review these tires ever 5k so I will do it on this thread, update my feelings and tread life.

What do you think?

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
When you say you are obligated to review them does that mean you got them for free as part of Nitto's test program? They look good and having already owned a set, I think you will be very happy with them.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I have no idea how I was chosen but I think it was pretty damn cool that I was. These tires were very high on my list of possible replacements anyways so I jumped at it.

I have installed enough of these on customer's trucks to know I would be happy. The LT Grapplers last a lot longer than the p rated ones so these being E loads I know they will do that.

My first little drive seemed that they ride softer then the BFG's at the same pressure, noise is comparable and this size fills out much better.

Reactions: Ogtoyfan

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Looks great. Congrats on free tires. Can't get better than that.

Have you had any experience with Nitto Trail Grappler? I wonder how they compare.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have no experience with the trail, I had BFG KM2's on my sequoia that I sold before this truck. The new owner told me that they are getting noisy but don't show a whole lot of wear for 27k that they have on them

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks really happy with the ride so far

·
Premium Member
5,489 Posts
I did the same thing only 285/75/17 (34x11.5x17 according to the sticker on the tire). Love the ride, still smooth. But I ran the 5100's for almost 7k before I bought tires. Balanced well and don't track in the ruts like the BFGs did. 65k on the BFGs with at least 10k more left on em.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think it may be time for some wheel spacers, but I am not sure how far I want to bring them out. Not sure I want to flare

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got about 3k miles on them so far. Tire wear has been virtually un-measurable to this point. Street manners have been exceptional, cornering and ride have become even more comfortable as the tires have gotten a few heat cycles in them. Tire noise has been consistent, no increase. I am very very happy with these.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Did you enter a contest, just happen to be in the right place right time? That's pretty cool that it happened

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got an e-mail one day to apply, figured what the hell i'll try. I was shocked as sh$% to find out I was chosen

·
Registered
248 Posts
Nice! Forward the email haha

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We got our first wet weather today so I drove to work with the traction control off, I could still break them loose at 45 mph but it took more effort than the BFG's. They feel more sure footed in the rain and shed the puddle water better.

Reactions: theoat

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I am at just over 30k now, that puts about 8k on these tires. I did the first rotation at 3k after putting on and then now 5k later. The tires ride great and are wearing well. I have about 13/32nds all around. I drive hard and in town a lot.

I have no complaints about these tires and will have no problem recommending them to others.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I missed reporting on a tire rotation 5k ago, been busy on a new job assignment. But am at 40k now on the truck, 18 on the tires.
Left front 11/11/12
left rear 11/12/12
right rear 10/10/12
right front 10/10/12.

I have started cross rotating as I make a lot of u-turns as that is the only way into work and I come and go multiple times a day, that is putting a lot of pressure on the out edges of the pass side. Less than 3/32nd wear in the last 10k miles. These tires are wearing great, right and handle good. No issues.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread. I was looking for the next size tire to put on my truck. I think I found it.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Nitto makes an amazing tire. My 295/70/18 Terra's have about 35K in em now. And I still have 8-9 32nds all over. I'm going to run a set I trails next. I work for Carroll Tire and hear nothing but good things about the trail. Nitto is the best tire I've run to date. Thanks for keeping us updated on your wear.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nitto makes an amazing tire. My 295/70/18 Terra's have about 35K in em now. And I still have 8-9 32nds all over. I'm going to run a set I trails next. I work for Carroll Tire and hear nothing but good things about the trail. Nitto is the best tire I've run to date. Thanks for keeping us updated on your wear.
Which Carroll's ?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts