Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2010 Tundra Double Cab, 2WD. Came with 18s on it. I was thinking about putting some 20s off a 2015 on it. The prospective wheels/tires are oem. The seller just bought new wheels/tires.

My question is-will they be ok? I know they are the same bolt pattern, so I'm not asking will they fit. Just wanted to know what issues I will have, if any. Thanks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Been discussed many many times....! Do a search and you'll find almost too much info on this topic. I can tell you that I had a 2011 and with a level kit I was able to fit 20's with 35's. But alot of factors played into making them fit. Especially offset...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem. Contingent upon the tire size, you may have to have the speedometer recalibrated though.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
If the tires/wheels are taken off from a stock Tundra, you should not have any issues. Since they have the same overall diameter, you do not need to get a speedometer recalibrator.

It's really what you like. Some like larger wheels and thinner rubber. Others, like me, prefer 18 inch wheels with meatier rubber. Performance wise, there is a slight advantage for smaller wheels, but the difference is quite small. Pricewise, 18 inch wheels and tires are substantially cheaper.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I did a search and am continuing to research it. The truck I bought came with some chrome wheels made by Gear. They are called Recoil 715c. They have a little too much chrome for me. I'm not a big fan of the totally blacked out look either. I just prefer some oem wheels, specifically the machined aluminum wheels that came on many Tundras. That's what I'm really looking for.

·
Registered
110 Posts
the rims are fine, that's a non-issue. the tires are okay if they are the stock size. i would help if you mentioned your current tire size + the new tire size that you want. or you can plug those numbers into an online tire size conversion calculator to get the overall diameter size of the tires. you can run up to 33" tires with no lift/no mods.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The tires on the truck now are Michelin LTX 255/70/18. ^^^^^^^^

that's about a 32.1" x 10" wide (give or take a fraction because of different tire manufacturers and specs etc.).

when it comes to 20" rims, here are your choices of tires that require zero modifications depending on offset.

275/55/20 (31.9" x 10.8") <--- i see this size for sale on stock limited rims
275/60/20 (33.0" x 10.8")
285/55/20 (32.3 x 11.2") <-- rim + tire combo will be basically same height as your current setup (tad bit taller)
305/50/20 (32.0" x 12.0")<-- rim + tire combo will be basically same height as your current setup (tiny tiny tad bit shorter)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Should probably fit fine, but the larger rim and less tire will give you a stiffer ride to some degree as the tires have less material to flex on impacts. Not sure how much, but something to consider.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OP here again...other info I should add is that I will never be off-road and that I'm also considering leveling the truck, a whole nother can of worms, I know.

·
Registered
110 Posts
as of now, if you plan on swapping your 18" stock wheel/tires for some 20" wheels/tires off a stock 2015.. the only thing you need to do is a sensor swap (put your TPMS into the new ones.. assuming your wheels are alloy and so are the new ones). steel wheels use a different type of sensor and wont work with alloys. absolutely zero fitment problems when swapping stock rims/tires from any of the 2007-2016 tundras (rock warrior wheels, TSS wheels, platinum, trd, doesn't matter).

getting the front leveled will not affect the fitment of stock wheels at all. they'll just look a bit small because you're increasing the wheel to fender gap. the solution to fixing this gap is bigger tires... and THATS where you might opening up a giant can of worms. basically, you can fit up to a 33" tire with no problems (i would stay under 12" width for most stock tundra rims). a very popular size for 20" rims are 275/65/20 tires (33"). no lift is needed to fit them at all, and it'll still look pretty good with a leveling kit. if your current rim/tire combo is something like 285/60/18 (31.5" tire).. then you'll get an additional almost 1" lift because of the increased tire height with new 33" tires.

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
If you have 255's on the truck that means you have the steel wheels. The styled wheels sensors are different so you will need to buy a set of sensors. And have them programmed to your truck.
You won't notice any difference in ride with 20's. Neither has rubber band tires.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts