Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time lurker. Had my tundra almost a year, 2008 black TRD 2WD, came out of a Dodge 3/4 ton which I loved, but my tundra has served me even better thus far. Bought 4 cans of plasti dip tonight. Gonna start with the wheels tomorrow and possibly make my way to the bumpers. Just dropped Nitto Terra Grappler 285's on so I'm excited to see how the look turns out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After several hours and four cans I finished off my wheels and badges. Gonna get the bumpers next chance I get. Next question is, do I try to do my steps, just take them off, try to trade for some black ones or save up and get something different?

1st Coat

2nd Coat

Badges

3rd Coat

SR5

Center Caps and Toyota Emblem

Final Product

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Looks awesome man and welcome to TT! If you don't need the steps you should take them off for now until you can get some black ones. As soon as you get a chance to do the bumpers the only thing you will notice are those chrome steps. I wouldn't waste dip on em.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Looks good

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Looks good, I would plasti dip the bumpers but probably buy some black steps. You could recoup some cash by selling the chrome ones.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pulled the steps off for now. Looks better already. I'm gonna post an ad on Craigslist locally and see if there is anyone out there who has black steps that would like to trade for chrome. Prolly a longshot, but I have nothing to lose out of it any way. Hopefully gonna get the bumper done this weekend.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, plans for the truck were a lot more until I got hit with an $8000 bill on my house for foundation repair. Progress will be slow for a while now.

·
Registered
738 Posts
You could always linex the bumpers and steps if the pd doesn't hold up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You could always linex the bumpers and steps if the pd doesn't hold up.
Yeah but everything I have ever had that was linexed faded and chipped. I actually like the look of the truck without the steps a lot better right now, at least until I can level it. I think I am going to save up for a set of NFAB steps. The bumpers I am going to PD and keep looking around for someone who is getting rid of their black ones.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Try posting an add on Craigslist to see if someone wants to trade black bumpers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got around to finishing off the bumpers and grille today. Pretty pleased with the look. Gonna grab a couple of more cans tomorrow and do some touching up on everything tomorrow. All in all its $60 well spent.

·
Registered
21 Posts
How difficult was it to get the rear bumper even? That's the last piece of chrome I have left to do

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How difficult was it to get the rear bumper even? That's the last piece of chrome I have left to do
Mine aren't completely even, front or back but they are close enough that you would have to be trying to find it to see it. I used 2 cans per bumper and gave about an hour to dry between the last two coats, not sure if that helped but it probably didn't hurt.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Looks great. Looks like a different truck now.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Are you going to take the pinstripe off?

Reactions: khoanguyen1983
1 - 20 of 21 Posts