Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a Service Bulletin, aka Special Service Campaign. Need to take my 2018 Tundra in to have the EDR (Event Data Recorder) software updated. It will fix a software issue which will help "The EDR records data for various events, including crashes, and is used to help investigate those events"

So presumably if you get in a crash or other incident the truck has recorded data before and after the "Event". Were you going 54 mph and the event happened in a 45 mph zone? Can your insurance company get the data and possible use it to deny a claim because you were speeding??????? Insurance company: you ht that deer at 49mph in a 40mph zone, had you been going the speed limit the accident could have been avoided.........CLAIM DENIED.... Going 45 in a 45mph zone....road conditions were not favorable (rain)........Claim denied.

Don't forget to wave at the camera on your computer............Big Brother is watching........

·
Registered
285 Posts
EDRs (aka black boxes) have been in use for years. The feds began rulemaking on their standards and use in 2004, and most, if not all, new vehicles have had them for most of the past decade.

To me, it's not any different than the authorities being able to search phone records looking to see if a driver was using a phone or texting at the time of an accident. Do they need a warrant for that? I don't know.

What does your insurance policy say about deniability of claims for the circumstances you describe?

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
I'm Behind the curve obviously...had heard about black boxes but did not know the extent they are in place.

So I guess "never mind"
Did someone die? No? Stop worrying about it. Your watching too much CSI on TV. I've been involved in a serious car accident and the cops won't even measure skid marks unless there's a death involved.

Or you can just trade in your truck and buy an early model first gen like the one I own.
Better yet I'll trade you mine.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did someone die? No? Stop worrying about it. Your watching too much CSI on TV. I've been involved in a serious car accident and the cops won't even measure skid marks unless there's a death involved.
No accident "Event"...Actually I watch very little TV and then usually only military, NatGeo, netflix or History channel (sometimes news but not much). Maybe I should start watching CNN or MSNBC everyday to keep up to date. .. :)

Still trying to find the headlight dimmer switch....keep pounding on the floor with my left foot but nothing happens :):)

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
Still trying to find the headlight dimmer switch....keep pounding on the floor with my left foot but nothing happens :):)
Is that what that button was on the dead pedal was when I was a kid? I seem to have a faint memory of it. I was more engrossed into tossing my plastic army men out the triangle window.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is that what that button was on the dead pedal was when I was a kid? I seem to have a faint memory of it. I was more engrossed into tossing my plastic army men out the triangle window.
You mean the Fly window as we referred to it. why Fly, no clue, unless that's where the cig butts flew out while smoking with 4 kids in the car and windows closed. The new safety feature then was a padded dashboard to protect you in case your mother/fathers outstretched arms didn't keep you from slamming into the dash in a sudden stop....seat belts?????????.... oh those were the days.......

·
Registered
68 Posts
The floor controls on some older vehicles were hi/lo beam--clutch--brake--gas--starter. So, starting the engine could involve both feet working two pedals at the same time.

More to the topic of EDR's and what your vehicle is recording, this showed up on Eric Peter's website recently:
https://www.ericpetersautos.com/2018/01/22/profits-loss-privacy/

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
The floor controls on some older vehicles were hi/lo beam--clutch--brake--gas--starter. So, starting the engine could involve both feet working two pedals at the same time.

More to the topic of EDR's and what your vehicle is recording, this showed up on Eric Peter's website recently:
https://www.ericpetersautos.com/2018/01/22/profits-loss-privacy/
I can still hear the CLICK / CLANK of the floor highbeam switch !!
My 67 mustang was high tech with the windshield squirter was alil pedal on left hand floor .

·
Registered
965 Posts
Hahaha! I laughed out loud at this. I'm not that old, but my old bronco had the high beam/low beam switch on the floor, too. It would always get stuck as I drove by other folks. Friends who rode with me thought I was having a conniption or a seizure as I slammed my left leg up and and down on the floor trying to get the darn thing to turn off! I also had a bad blower motor bearing and worn track bar bushings; more than once the bearing would go nuts and start shrieking at the same time I was stomping on the floor. All this wiggling around would sometime cause me to bump the steering wheel a bit and induce death wobble going down the road.

I'm stopping on the floor like a mad man, the car is making a horrible shrieking sound right in front of the passenger, the car starts shaking violently side to side, and then we were blinded by oncoming traffic telling me to turn my brights off... Passengers screaming, flailing, whimpering, scrambling for a seat belt and the "oh crap" handle - good times :D

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
Maybe I should start watching CNN or MSNBC everyday to keep up to date.
Not the Communist News Network or MSLSD. I suggest the great one, Mark Levin.

You sound like an info wars kinda guy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.