Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just recently acquired a 2005 Tundra AC Limited Edition 4X4 from my brother-in-law because he bought a new 2013 Tundra. He's discovering things about his new Tundra that his former Tundra had and his new one doesn't. I'm thinking that I got the better end of this deal !!! :lol5:
A silly question to ask on this topic but how many of you think that the Generation 1 Tundra's are a much better looking truck than the Gen.2 and soon to be Gen. 3 Tundra's?? Also what about overall performance and reliability ? ( I know the 2007 + trucks have a 5.7 L engine, but are they as reliable as the 4.7 ? ) , and what about the LSD in the Gen 2 - Gen 3 trucks compared to the 'real' LSD in the Gen 1 trucks ?

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Reactions: NIE_Cal

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts

·
Registered
4,945 Posts
What does a first gen have that a second gen doesn't?! :confused:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Lack of power,lower capacities, dated look, less leg room, less ground clearance, shallower bed, strange bulgy interior, pretty much non existent aftermarket following ... Do I need to keep going? Or have I covered the majority of it??

·
Registered
387 Posts
Lack of power,lower capacities, dated look, less leg room, less ground clearance, shallower bed, strange bulgy interior, pretty much non existent aftermarket following ... Do I need to keep going? Or have I covered the majority of it??
Well herpa derp its dated... Its from 2000 and with that said it still looks good. As for size the second gen is nice but i feel like the first gen bridges the gap between nowa days full size and mid size trucks. Perfect size for me in my opinion. I will say a 5.7 would be amazing but mine still has plenty pick up and go thats mainly due to the weight difference between the first and second gens though. 5.7 ina first gen would be ridiculously fast

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
What does a first gen have that a second gen doesn't?! :confused:

IIRC, you can't get a double cab (crewmax) with a 6.5' bed on a 2nd gen.

Also, better looking, IMO. Thicker sheet metal and just the right size if you like a more mid size pickup that can actually fit in most standard single bay garages. I also prefer the shallow bed personally.

I think it's just a personal preference for most.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
The interior on the first gen felt more solid than the 2nd gen. Also the sheet metal on the exterior did not seem to flex as much. I like the size of the 2nd gen, but sometimes miss my 05.

Reactions: riccnick

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Lack of power,lower capacities, dated look, less leg room, less ground clearance, shallower bed, strange bulgy interior, pretty much non existent aftermarket following .

I certainly do not notice those issues in my 2000 Gen 1.

Lack of power - I am close to ~390HP up front and have a lot less weight to push. Plenty of power for this size. (though more is always better, IMO). Even without the SC on board like me,
the 4.7 is very capable for most people and this size truck.

Lower capacities - Not towing and many in 2G do not. So, a stat not used

Less ground clearance - How many people really off road? Especially on the East Coast.

Shallow bed - Carries everything I need just fine, and I do not haul people's
refrigerators or stoves because I have a truck. They can rent a Uhaul and beat that up instead.

Bulgy interior - I upgraded to TRD Sport Luxury and love the setup.

Aftermarket - It is better, but, no where close to newer options or suppliers
today on the newer trucks. I agree with that statement.

I find it amusing when folks argue about Tundra being a better truck than the Big 3, which is NOT the case. All the makes have strengths and weaknesses,
just a matter of which model/options fits your tastes and needs.

I find it more amusing when folks want to argue/discuss that a Gen2 is better or not than a Gen 1. They are 2 totally different models in the marketplace
like apples/oranges and with changing technologies/features with each new year. Example, I have no nannies to worry about and I know how to drive this truck
without them. That is a feature to some on the Gen2, but, a PITA to others. I prefer my LSD setup and it works fine for me.

Tundras are nice trucks period, regardless of Gen, and I assume we all like them, otherwise, wouldn't we all be driving one of the Big 3 instead?

Carry on guys.

·
Registered
4,945 Posts
I certainly do not notice those issues in my 2000 Gen 1.

Lack of power - I am close to ~390HP up front and have a lot less weight to push. Plenty of power for this size. (though more is always better, IMO). Even without the SC on board like me,
the 4.7 is very capable for most people and this size truck.

Lower capacities - Not towing and many in 2G do not. So, a stat not used

Less ground clearance - How many people really off road? Especially on the East Coast.

Shallow bed - Carries everything I need just fine, and I do not haul people's
refrigerators or stoves because I have a truck. They can rent a Uhaul and beat that up instead.

Bulgy interior - I upgraded to TRD Sport Luxury and love the setup.

Aftermarket - It is better, but, no where close to newer options or suppliers
today on the newer trucks. I agree with that statement.

I find it amusing when folks argue about Tundra being a better truck than the Big 3, which is NOT the case. All the makes have strengths and weaknesses,
just a matter of which model/options fits your tastes and needs.

I find it more amusing when folks want to argue/discuss that a Gen2 is better or not than a Gen 1. They are 2 totally different models in the marketplace
like apples/oranges and with changing technologies/features with each new year. Example, I have no nannies to worry about and I know how to drive this truck
without them. That is a feature to some on the Gen2, but, a PITA to others. I prefer my LSD setup and it works fine for me.

Tundras are nice trucks period, regardless of Gen, and I assume we all like them, otherwise, wouldn't we all be driving one of the Big 3 instead?

Carry on guys.
You're supercharged... And still only have 10 more ponies than a 5.7, not saying they are bad trucks but if someone wants to go on about how one generation is the best then ill be more than happy to play devils advocate and make them defend the claim. Everyone should be proud of what they drive, I sure as hell am but I'm not gonna make a blanket statement that a second gen is the best one ever made. I think the t100's dominate in reliability, 1 gen tundra is the perfect size, 2nd gen looks good and has the most power and can pull a damn house, and the new ones stepped it up tremendously in interior quality. I don't mean for what I said to come off as an attack against other generations. I simply wanted to point out what I see as problems with them. I can go on for hours with what could of been done better on the 2nd gens. For the most part it looks like me and you think the same way about fanboys.

And the east coaster offroading comment got a good LOL from me, thanks for that hah.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I can go on for hours with what could of been done better on the 2nd gens. For the most part it looks like me and you think the same way about fanboys.

And the east coaster offroading comment got a good LOL from me, thanks for that hah.
Exactly my friend. I could do the same for Gen 1, Gen 2, and what I do not like about the new Gen 3.

My Gen 1 is special to me and without ego, I know there are not many like it in the country. I like the special aspects of the Tundra and how they have evolved over the 13 years in the marketplace. I sure wish, maybe mid-cycle, they upgrade the drive-line on the 3G. Really needs to be done, or they will lose more market share.

For now, going off-road this weekend on some clam-shell roads for a good clam bake and beer. Good stuff.

I agree, we think alike.

·
Registered
244 Posts
was very close to buying a gen 1 but I wanted the warranty and more room , I would buy one still if the price was right

·
Registered
262 Posts
Having owned both, I can say without a doubt that they are both good trucks. Stock, I'll take the crewmax 5.7 over the crew cab 4.7. I loved my 2001 but I had a rare opportunity to get a 2008 when gas prices were through the roof and they couldn't give them away in Alaska. All in all, the 2001 felt better but the 2nd gen has the power I crave. They are both super reliable and great trucks. Arguing between the two is like apples and oranges. Theyre both good but you have to be in the mood for either.

·
Premium Member
10,631 Posts
I just took a 2013 Crewmax 4x4 Platinum for a test drive and I really liked it. It handled quite well, I would say it had car-like road feel, but the Gen 1 when brand new was better.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts