Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if you are using a 4 channel amp to power, say, 2 mids/components off 2 channels (bridged or not) and using the other 2 channels to power a sub (or 2 subs), can you indepnedently cross them over? obviously you dont want the same frequencies going to the subs as the components. can you accomplish this with just the amps low/high pass filters, or would you have to purchase 2 amps or an additional crossover for that?

TIA

·
Registered
333 Posts
"most" 4 channel amps are built with seperate crossovers for front and rear.
^^^ This.

Most decent 4 channels give you independent crossovers to do exactly what you're talking about.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My amp allows Low pass filter on the subs and high pass on the speakers

·
Registered
179 Posts
All the answers from above, but you didn't mention if you're on the stock head unit or aftermarket. Most mid to high end head units will also allow you to set up the crossover frequencies on your outputs to the amp.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
If the amp does NOT have a low pass filter for the 2 channels you are using for the sub(s) you can always use an external crossover... I had to do that in the past when I had a 4 channel amp and it only had one high/full/low x-over control. Was a goofy amp, then again was over 10 years ago.

I used an mtx crossover network. Worked good for what it was supposed to do.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i was going to get the kenwood ddx319, but appears there is not an iphone 5 cable for it, so ill probably go with the ddx 370, which is basically the same unit, but with touchscreen

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
one more question...you can only do high 2 your comonents and low to your subs if you are on 3 channel (or 4, obviously) mode, correct? If i were to bridge into 2 total channels to generate more power, you would be stuck with the same frequencies going to all speakers, correct?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Depends on your amp, my jl 4 channel can, you should have speaker outs for your fronts and rears. Each set of outs should be able to be bridged and have its own crossover and tuning capabilities. With that being said you would need 2 channels for your components left and right and 1 channel for your subs.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
one more question...you can only do high 2 your comonents and low to your subs if you are on 3 channel (or 4, obviously) mode, correct? If i were to bridge into 2 total channels to generate more power, you would be stuck with the same frequencies going to all speakers, correct?
There are ways you used to be able to run an amp tri mode (I think that was what it was called) and you could add resistors in line to block certain frequencies.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/library/1997/3_Amplifiers/MAN1488B_RF23x_26x_46x-MAN.pdf

That is a download to the manual for an amp I had that a buddy lost (damnit, was one of the last hand built in usa amps from RF)

Anyways, I remembered that manual got into doing what you want to do... Look around page 20 on up... I had the 4.6x.
You will find some useful info maybe. Sorry, I really couldn't find much online because anymore most people just use a 4 channel amp and then a mono amp or a 5 channel amp... or ... or...

Hope that might help.

AND it is a good download, I scanned it, and it is from RF themselves. not fixya or any goofy online site.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You can do the tri mode with an external crossover or if your h/u has a few features you can leave the amp wide open. Let me know what you are trying to do with the third high channel and I will walk you through it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm just sorta throwing things around at this point. I don't have a ton of experience with 4 channels. I was planning on components and 8" mid/lows without a true sub. So I was hoping to amp all off a 4 channel. Obviously there's a fine line between not overpowering 6.5s while not under powering 8s. Logic tells me to just give the components a standard wattage based on a 4 ohm load, taking up 2 channels. The other two channels could be bridged to the two 8s or possibly a single 8, but that would probably sound really unbalanced.

Next logic of thinking tells me you obviously get more out of your 4 channel by bringing down to 2 equal channels at 4 ohm, and that's where we are. By doing so, aren't they sort offed together? Like, that would be perfectly reasonable to power 2 subs, but not mixing between 2 components and a sub or subs

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
If you take your right and left channels, now run them bridged of one channel of an amp, you have lost the left to right differentiation...

Not sure if that matters to you.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
You wouldn't want to do that anyway, then you would have a mono signal going to your components. If using a 4 channel amp to run components and subs yu should run it as 3 channels.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can you have two channels pushing components at 4 ohms and the other 2 channels going into a 2 ohm load (bridged or not bridged)?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i dont think so but figured id ask...i want to use a 4 channel amp, but the sub i may use is a DVC which is wired down to a 2 ohm load

i guess i could rewire it into a higher load but id be losing significant power

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is true, don't do different L and R though most amps are internally bridged so it may mess things up
I was going to do front components at 4 ohms each off 2 channels and the rear 2 channels bridged into 2 ohms. Or if that was not doable I could do one channel into 2 ohms and leave a channel vacant?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts