Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm due to a tire change next month. My current setup are Toyo Proxies STII 285/45/22 on the 22" TRD forged alloy wheels.

I'm either going with the Hankook Ventus ST RH06 or the General Grabber UHP as they seem to be the best at providing traction off the line. A few members gave good reviews on the Grabbers and it's my top option right now. But what made me recently consider the Hankooks was MPToy7 from TG who ran a 12.6 @ 108 with these. The problem is he has 20" wheels (275/55/20) which gives him more sidewall than my 22"s thus more traction.

Another concern of mine is size. I'm upgrading to 305 width for more traction but not sure about height. Will a tire with more side wall (4.6" to 5.4") be more comfortable or it won't be noticeable? and is 1.2" difference in the tire's diameter going to affect performance or anything else?

Here are the sizes I'm considering:

305/40/22:
Diameter: 31.6"
Sidewall: 4.8"
Width: 12"
Weight: ~44 lbs

305/45/22:
Diameter: 32.8"
Sidewall: 5.4"
Width: 12"
Weight: ~49 lbs

Price is not an issue. Thanks for the input :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Can't help with tire size questions, but I have 305/40/22 general uhp and I'm very pleased so far

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: BRX

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was going to get one set of each but my god damn alternator decided its time to die. Part and labor was +1200 at the dealership. Said "F*** you!" And went to a smaller shop who did it in less than an hour.

But yeah, I'm going with both :D

·
Registered
273 Posts
I was going to get one set of each but my god damn alternator decided its time to die. Part and labor was +1200 at the dealership. Said "F*** you!" And went to a smaller shop who did it in less than an hour.

But yeah, I'm going with both :D

I replaced a bad alternator at the dealership for around $799, they gave me a good deal!

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I had the Generals on a different vehicle a while back.... they were a nice tire. I've never ran a Hankook though

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I ordered the Hankooks and they arrived here today

Loaded them in the bed and went for a last spin with the Toyos before mounting the new tires :lol5:

Truck rides great with these. Traction is significantly better than the Toyos even at their prime. Went WOT at 30 MPH and not even a chirp lol. Best of all, they look great specially on the black wheels.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
What was your deciding factor of selecting the Hankooks over the General Grabbers and what size tires did you get? Looking forward for your updates on how these Hankooks hook up on any "off the light" or WOT take offs..

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What was your deciding factor of selecting the Hankooks over the General Grabbers and what size tires did you get? Looking forward for your updates on how these Hankooks hook up on any "off the light" or WOT take offs..
Other than MPToy7's and others recommendations, I went with my guts :D

So far I'm happy I did. I don't think any tire can handle an off the light WOT run specially @ 35 psi lol. I'll give it a try tomorrow and who knows, I might be wrong. I'll keep you guys posted.

Reactions: jbroas

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Reactions: jbroas

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts
They grip, handle, and are amazingly quiet. The only downfall these have for me is that they hold rocks like crazy.

Oh, they squeal like mad from a dig

1 - 13 of 13 Posts