Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know most of this section is devoted to Gen 2 trucks. But i thought I'd throw it out there - does anyone know the stock lock up points for the 05/06 4.7 transmissions?

Anyone have experience using a lock up switch on the 2006 tundra's?

I'm towing a pretty heavy load up a hill to get home. 2nd gear 50 mph 4500 rpm half throttle on I70 for two miles, and then it's a 1st gear 20-25mph climb at 2500 rpm half throttle in my neighborhood to climb up to my house.

Probably 7500 lbs loaded (with racecar) trailer with WDH on my 06 DC 4x4.

Just bought the trailer last night. Current mods before I pull it again uphill:

Tekonsha P3
Long Tru Cool (28000 GVW or is that overkill?)
Trans oil temp sender and gauge

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
oh wow!! that's a lot of trailer for a 2 gen even.

subscribed to hear responses on the tq converter lock up switch. sorry I can't help:(

·
Registered
830 Posts
I don't think I've ever heard of anyone putting in a switch to force a lockup. And that's reading across multiple boards over multiple years. I think you're stuck with wherever and whenever it wants to lockup. I'm also pretty sure the latest stuff tends to use a PWM signal to control lockup; your year might be different. Gone are the days of simple controls...

I'd change the fluid and do the mods that you have planned (cooler, gauge) and see what goes on first. If temps aren't going over what, 230F coming out of the transmission then I'm not sure if I'd worry. 230F, maybe less for a limit... I don't know what transmission you have, so 230 might be too high, but on the later transmissions I'm not sure that is the danger zone that it is for domestics.

I would do more often fluid exchanges though. Especially if fluid temps tend to the higher side.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts