Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all the discussion of rust and recalls I can't find, even here, the specific help I need now. I have a 2003 Access Cab 4.7L 4WD very original Tundra. Took it in for frame recall late 2014 and was told "no problem, we painted it with rust inhibitor". I asked my mechanic from time to time how things looked "lot of rust but par for the course...". Fast forward - now I learn after focused inspection by 2 body shops that only replacement is option and that will be a few thousand more than the truck is worth. Major rust through stem to stern.

This Tundra was babied (otherwise): 118k mi, very good to excellent body and interior. Meticulous maintenance and still looks amazing in/out. I've talked to Toyota and the dealership to see if there is any recall type help left - none, zip, nada. A guy was in my driveway recently with $8000 and now I nearly need to call a tow-truck.

Ok - skip all the "what were you thinking" responses (I can't help you) and give me some reasonable advice. What can I do with thisTundra? Who might want it/could use what's left? I would never sell it without full disclosure (as if it were necessary), but is there a type of individual or group that is looking for something specifically like this with reasonable intentions?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have sympathy for your plight. It really sucks.

I presume that you are looking to get whatever you can get for it.

The easiest way would be to call a local salvage yard and see what they would offer you for it. Likely the lowest yield in terms of dollars, but the truck would be gone quickly.

The next easiest way would be to sell it complete and as-is with full disclosure. You might get lucky and find somebody who is looking to kluge two trucks together to get one good one.

The hard way, and perhaps longest way, would be to part it out. However, you might be able to get the most for it by selling the engine, transmission, transfer case all separately. Good-condition Toyota V-8s are not that easy to find, and the engine remanufacturers don't reman them (or at least they didn't when I looked some years back). Downside to this is that you either have to disassemble the truck yourself, or take a lower price if the buyer has to remove the parts.

You might go back to the body shops that inspected your truck. They might have ideas about how to get more for the truck than merely calling a salvage yard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have sympathy for your plight. It really sucks.

I presume that you are looking to get whatever you can get for it.

The easiest way would be to call a local salvage yard and see what they would offer you for it. Likely the lowest yield in terms of dollars, but the truck would be gone quickly.

The next easiest way would be to sell it complete and as-is with full disclosure. You might get lucky and find somebody who is looking to kluge two trucks together to get one good one.

The hard way, and perhaps longest way, would be to part it out. However, you might be able to get the most for it by selling the engine, transmission, transfer case all separately. Good-condition Toyota V-8s are not that easy to find, and the engine remanufacturers don't reman them (or at least they didn't when I looked some years back). Downside to this is that you either have to disassemble the truck yourself, or take a lower price if the buyer has to remove the parts.

You might go back to the body shops that inspected your truck. They might have ideas about how to get more for the truck than merely calling a salvage yard.
Thanks Ray - some good advice. I actually called one junk yard and they said they don't really want anything over several years old - parts don't sell. I'll probably just advert 'as is where is' for best offer. Sad end to an old friend.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Take it back to where you bought and trade it in for something. Don't say a word. I wouldn't feel bad about it at all. Toyota should have helped you and they're the one that sold it to you.

Other than this. Part it out yourself. Biggest issue is get the parts off yourself.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Thanks Ray - some good advice. I actually called one junk yard and they said they don't really want anything over several years old - parts don't sell. I'll probably just advert 'as is where is' for best offer. Sad end to an old friend.
I do know what you mean. I loved my first Tundra; it was a 2000 Access Cab TRD 4WD. Frame was replaced in 2012. Cosmetically and mechanically just great. Did everything I needed a truck to do. Had some great fishing trips, hauling loads for home renovations projects, daily driver. That truck almost felt like it was an extension of me. Totaled in July 2015 in a deer strike at highway speeds. I think if that hadn't happened, I'd still be driving that truck. My 2015 is an OK truck, but I really still prefer my old truck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I really feel your pain on this, as I'm going through a similar situation. I have my grandpa's '86 pickup that I've set up to be my own and absolutely love driving around (roll bar, tires, brush guard, lights, winch, etc), but now I'm looking at the near future realizing that soon it really won't be safe to drive. The frame is getting really soft, and I'm starting to wonder how long it'll be before I have a load in it, and all of a sudden I'll be looking at the sky, lol. It's got low miles as well, only 120K.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Take it back to where you bought and trade it in for something. Don't say a word. I wouldn't feel bad about it at all. Toyota should have helped you and they're the one that sold it to you.

Other than this. Part it out yourself. Biggest issue is get the parts off yourself.
Appreciate the advice. What's to keep the dealership from saying anything other than what any other buyer would say. I hear you - they actually take more blame than anybody is my belief. I just can't see them being shamed into doing anything correct... I think I'll give it a try though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts