Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gaslight's build log for Bevo (2016 TRD Inferno CM 4x4 w/front bench)

Gotta crawl before you walk...

Meet Bevo, our new tow vehicle.

12814084_10153525761738590_283951525802949985_n.jpg 2016 TRD Tundra Crewmax 5.7L (gasser) 4x4

I just picked her up from San Diego and drove it back to Texas. This truck was a pain to find - Crewmax 4x4 (came with TRD option), bench front seat (must have with 4 kids) in Inferno. I tried to order one from a dealer in Texas (long wait) but I got lucky and found this! And, I almost bought a Silverado 3/4 ton HD w/Duramax but my brother-in-law talked me out of it (and the price tag - geez).

For today, Bevo just got a new grill and we cleaned up some decals and badges.

12814368_10153525644333590_5599771614450665686_n.jpg *note: my brother-in-law's bad ass TRD Pro in the background (and Gaslight, my 08' JKUR)!

12814389_10153525643913590_7713896423589090538_n.jpg I had bought a black out decal kit, but liked the clean look (AND I jacked up the install of the first decal, ha). It looks better clean (IMO).

Very soon:
- step bars
- spray in bedliner
- tonneau cover
- all weather floor mats
- transfer flow 46 gal tank

Down the road - I may need to sell Gaslight (my Jeep) or a kidney to get these funded within the year, otherwise next summer:
- lift and 35's
- bumpers and lights
- supercharger

Thanks for all of the amazing build threads, I'm getting some great ideas from y'all. And, thanks to TRDWarrior for the help today!

More photos in Bevo's garage (especially how the twin's booster seats fit in the rear of the Crewmax). Gotta love the front bench shoulder harness too (only 1/2 ton truck with that safety option now).

\m/

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
318 Posts
awesome start Gas! Really liking the Pro & de-decaled look start... (a heat-gun or hairdryer makes removing those a cinch)
I am in the same 4-kid boat, and yes, that front bench with the correct seat-belting is absolutely tough to find reasonably in the truck world anymore, especially in the crewmax level you went for. I went for the DC longbed, so in that SR level it's a tad easier find, but we can't be color picky either. :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am in the same 4-kid boat
My hat's off to ya, I feel your pain! I have to ask: did your truck come with a hellacious "breaker bar" shifter? Lol, take a look at the ginormous shifter (below)... Crazy. When I drive to work each morning, I feel like I'm Cledus going Eastbound and down...

We needed this bench seat bad. Our daily driver is a Suburban and has already experienced two rear end failures pulling our trailer in the past 5 years. Since the Burb's paid off and out of warranty, we weren't happy with towing the trailer.

I placed a factory order at my local dealership for this exact set up: SR5 bench CM 4x4 in Inferno (the one I found in Cali had the TRD option and gasser motor). My original factory special order request included the larger gas tank but the factory denied that specific request (seriously, all 5.7's should come standard with the larger gas tank - SMH). I'm sure most of y'all know this already, but the build code for the larger gas tank deletes the bench!

On a positive note, Toyota (to my knowledge) is the only manufacturer with a standard shoulder harness in the front bench (added safety bonus). With my Brother-in-law's recent no-fault accident (TRDWarrior), I was sold on the Tundra (in the 1/2 ton category). This is a great truck!

More pics to follow later this weekend: Bevo is getting Linex'd on Thursday. And, I'll be installing NFAB step bars and picking up some WeatherTech's too! \m/

I would've waited the 4-6 months for this truck (but luckily found it sooner).

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
My hat's off to ya, I feel your pain! I have to ask: did your truck come with a hellacious "breaker bar" shifter? Lol, take a look at the ginormous shifter (below)... Crazy. When I drive to work each morning, I feel like I'm Cledus going Eastbound and down...

We needed this bench seat bad. Our daily driver is a Suburban and has already experienced two rear end failures pulling our trailer in the past 5 years. Since the Burb's paid off and out of warranty, we weren't happy with towing the trailer.

I placed a factory order at my local dealership for this exact set up: SR5 bench CM 4x4 in Inferno (the one I found in Cali had the TRD option and gasser motor). My original factory special order request included the larger gas tank but the factory denied that specific request (seriously, all 5.7's should come standard with the larger gas tank - SMH). I'm sure most of y'all know this already, but the build code for the larger gas tank deletes the bench!

On a positive note, Toyota (to my knowledge) is the only manufacturer with a standard shoulder harness in the front bench (added safety bonus). With my Brother-in-law's recent no-fault accident (TRDWarrior), I was sold on the Tundra (in the 1/2 ton category). This is a great truck!

More pics to follow later this weekend: Bevo is getting Linex'd on Thursday. And, I'll be installing NFAB step bars and picking up some WeatherTech's too! \m/

I would've waited the 4-6 months for this truck (but luckily found it sooner).

Thanks!
Heck yeah! All benchers come with that glorious column shifter, makes it feel like a real work truck. ;) Have you tried the sport/tow self shift yet on that thing? It's Hilarious! Can't wait to install my wheel with paddle shifters to utilize that function a little better. I've driven everything including 3-speed on the column before, so this one doesn't bother me a bit. :cool:

Looked into the bigger tank myself as an add-on... seems to be about $900-ish from toyota. They definitely should've come with them standard, and the fact that you need to get a minimum of SR5 front console option to add it is absurd to say the least... the folks in the work truck grades would see the most benefits from that upgrade out of all of us.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
5.7's should come with the larger gas tank

Looked into the bigger tank myself as an add-on... seems to be about $900-ish from toyota. They definitely should've come with them standard
Totally agree.

I tried to order Toyota's larger tank from the factory but they denied that request (according to Toyota of Grapevine). I was planning to add a larger tank regardless if they had said no (Toyota's 38.5 gal or an aftermarket).

TRDWarrior and I compared stock tanks side by side (he's got a TRD Pro). There are three hanging straps on the larger tank vs. two on the smaller one. There is PLENTY of room for the larger tank on the SR5 CM 4x4 short bed with bench (hint Toyota, "c'mon man!"). At first, I thought by keeping the bench (since Toyota deletes the bench with the large tank option) there would be potential underbody concerns with the larger tank (but there isn't).

Transfer Flow's 46 gal big boy comes with only two hanging straps (guess the 3rd is not required since their tank snugs up into the frame rails?). I'd have to examine and research this more, but for the money ($1,100'ish or so) the Transfer Flow seems like a great bargain since I'll be frequently towing. I've read nothing but positive reviews from the Transfer Flow owners here, so it's a win already.

I guess the ONLY concern for me with the bench and larger tank, is the fact that we're looking at decreased carrying/hauling capability (due to the larger tank with six people - as opposed to only five). We're not going to come close (on cabin weight and/or trailering capacity). I think I'm sold on the 46 gal behemoth!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was a official Toyota crash test dummy and they are built like tanks
Someone's gotta take one for the team. Besides, it got you into the TRD Pro! \m/ winning

·
Registered
318 Posts
Totally agree.

I guess the ONLY concern for me with the bench and larger tank, is the fact that we're looking at decreased carrying/hauling capability (due to the larger tank with six people - as opposed to only five). We're not going to come close (on cabin weight and/or trailering capacity). I think I'm sold on the 46 gal behemoth!
We're only talking 80-100#s extra weight depending which tank you end up filling up... plenty of folks adding that much weight with their wheel and tire change alone around here and still hauling plenty. :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Glad to see Toyota is still making a real truck, bench seat in the front and big motor under the hood. I'm not a fan on the console.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad to see Toyota is still making a real truck, bench seat in the front and big motor under the hood. I'm not a fan on the console.
Amen!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Line-X, NFAB steps, WeatherTechs

Got Bevo Linex'd up today, slipped in some WeatherTechs, and NFAB steps!

Screen Shot 2016-03-17 at 5.47.23 PM.png

20160317_172349.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-03-17 at 5.56.45 PM.png

The folks at Line-x Accessory Superstore in Denton did a great job and took care of me! Thanks!

Waiting on the Transfer Flow 46 gal tank, and researching lifts... \m/

·
Registered
318 Posts
Looks nice!

mine came with the spray in liner... think I'll be adding the weather tech bed/tailgate mats over it though for a little extra dent and bolt rust protection, as I really put the previous truck's plastic bedliner to some tough work on the stuff I throw back there regularly.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have you tried the sport/tow self shift yet on that thing? It's Hilarious!
Not yet, that shifter still cracks me up though! Ha! My trailer is so light, I may not even need the tow mode.

I really put the previous truck's plastic bedliner to some tough work on the stuff I throw back there regularly.
I had the plastic bedliner on my 95' Taco, worked well for me too. One thing's for sure, the tonneau covers aren't cheap! I may have to wait on that.

I found a nice spot for my iPod (using the magnet holder). So far so good, but I'm trying to find a good spot for a cell phone holder (not on the windshield). I've seen the DIY's with the 2x4 models (4x4 delete spacer), but with the 4x4 and bench front - I'm almost out of dashboard real estate.

20160321_182215.jpg

20160321_182225.jpg

·
Registered
318 Posts
I generally just have mine in the cupholder (dash or middle seat folded down)... I also hate the phone on windshield setup(why add a blindspot right in front?). Noticed from my field of view though a real mount center top dash would obscure nothing pretty much, so may come up with something neat there. Same place in yours may work well... from driver seat you still see clock and all too.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts