Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 tundra. Went to fill up this past week and the handle to the pump kept clicking off every second, or .25 cents worth. I tried to manipulate the nozzle every which way possible and figured it was the pump. With 170,000 miles, I would hope that I know how to fill a tank. Went back tonight to a different gas station and the same thing happened. I took off a gas cap from a Cobra that has a large lip with an auto close opening. Still didn't work. Tried another gas pump with no better results. Took a 5 gallon gas can and put in the 5 gallons into the tank with no problems, and no leaking anywhere. I have no idea what could be the issue. Any suggestions would be greatly welcomed. Thank you.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hmm that sucks, I have a 2008 as well and while I haven't had a problem as persistent as yours, I have had a few issues occasionally. I'm guessing you've tried this but I'll ask anyways, did you try and pull the nozzle out part way to allow it to flow better? Sometimes I've had it where it clicks off but I'm pretty sure it's at the wrong angle in the neck and it triggers it "full" and shuts off. I found if I pulled the nozzle out about halfway it would alleviate the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm that sucks, I have a 2008 as well and while I haven't had a problem as persistent as yours, I have had a few issues occasionally. I'm guessing you've tried this but I'll ask anyways, did you try and pull the nozzle out part way to allow it to flow better? Sometimes I've had it where it clicks off but I'm pretty sure it's at the wrong angle in the neck and it triggers it "full" and shuts off. I found if I pulled the nozzle out about halfway it would alleviate the problem.
I did attempt that several time. Took the black rubber part of the pump hose and tried to manipulate that as many ways as I could. Such a strange problem to have

·
Registered
2020 Silver Toyota Platinum Tundra 4WD
278 Posts
I don't really know how to test it with what we might have in the garage but I'm guessing someone can jump in here besides taking it to a shop.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The "I hope it's this" item is to try blowing out the tank vent hose (free).
The "I hope it is not this item" is the roll over/ inertia valve, which is in the tank. With the tank down you can buy a new one and install it or 'disable' the old valve to prevent this issue moving forward.
Those are the 2 causes we see most often, especially on the big tank. We also see a few charcoal canisters fill with fuel and we bypass or replace.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Take a look at the hose that runs from the filler opening to the tank to make sure it is not kinked or collapsed. Same with the vent line (the smaller hose). Make sure it is not kinked or collapsed. Otherwise, my money is on kurtibm's rollover/inertia valve idea.

I am not sure the evap system would stop you from filling the tank. There is not really a seal when you are putting gas into the filler and I tend to think that there is enough space in that main filler tube area that would allow the tank to breath even if the evap system was plugged up. But I am not sure about that. If you are someone who continues to fill the tank after the thing has clicked off, you take a risk of pushing gas into the evaporator system and causing it to fail. If you do that, that increases the chances of your evap system being the issue. If you don't do that, then it is probably OK (no guarantee's though).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts