Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to upgrade camper and that means upgrading truck also. Was wondering what kind of gas mileage a 5.7 crewmax would get with about a 6000 pound load.

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
There are too many variables to really give you a great answer since it will depend on the dimensions of the trailer and the elevation profile of each trip, however, on average with that load, if you drive no faster than 65mph I would think somewhere in the 10-12 mpg range would be about right, possibly 13 if the terrain is very flat. That is based on a high profile camper type of trailer if you were towing something with a smaller profile (less drag) then that number would be at the high range of 12-13 mpg. For planning I just use 10 mpg to be honest and anything above that is just a bonus/surprise.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I got about 8mpg towing 9k lbs in a 8.5' wide x 8' tall car hauler on a cross country trip. I didn't exactly keep it at 65 though...

·
Registered
139 Posts
I get around 12mpg(+/-) now while pulling my 9k gooseneck since I put my leveling kit and 34s on.!

Reactions: jomo

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I live in Tennessee so there is no such thing as a flat road. All my buddies that we camp with have dodges and they get between 6 and 8 at 70mph.

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Thanks. I live in Tennessee so there is no such thing as a flat road. All my buddies that we camp with have dodges and they get between 6 and 8 at 70mph.
Then, honestly, that is probably what you can expect as well unless you slow down to 65 then you will probably get a bit closer to 10.

·
"BHLM Master"
3,232 Posts
I tow something similar, I'm lifted about 10 inches, have 38 inch tires, and roll around 70-75. I get around 6-8 mpg. You will do much better if not lifted- but not by much- these trucks swallow fuel badly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My stock-stance Crewmax 5.7 and @6000lb trailer get nearly 11 mpg if I keep my speed down (@60-65) and leave the cruise control off. I did a trip a couple of weeks ago and I was under time pressure so I was doing 70-75 and mpg dropped to 9.5 real quick! Get into the right lane, find a semi doing your target speed and settle in. Just match his speed and keep a safe distance and it'll be almost as easy as using cruise.

Reactions: jomo

·
Registered
64 Posts
Gas mileage...

Looking to upgrade camper and that means upgrading truck also. Was wondering what kind of gas mileage a 5.7 crewmax would get with about a 6000 pound load.
...We just got back from a round trip starting in Ellis County in North Texas to Port Aransas Texas.We put about 900 miles on the truck pulling a 6000 lb + travel trailer.I was pulling at 62-70 mph coming and going and my mpg was in the 8.5-9.1 range and this was hand calculated.The truck only had a little over 700 miles when we started out.I am not complaining at all about the mileage,but do wonder how others get over 11 mpg on their setups that weigh more than what I have.This was my first time pulling with the 5.7 motor and it really seemed like 70 mph was a good easy speed to run.The area we were driving thru is by no means flat and I know that will play a part in the mpg.The truck is a 2013 crewmax LTD 4x4 and it did replace a 2010 dc 4x4 with the 4.6 motor ....NOT TAKING AWAY FROM THE 4.6 BUT THERE WAS A BIG DIFFERENCE DRIVING THRU THE HILL COUTRY WITH THE 5.7!!!! I am thinking with more miles put on truck that my mpg will possibly improve. ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm guessing my better milage is the result of my truck being a 4x2, with a hard tonneau, and my camper having a sloped front. Terrain also plays a major role. I also fill with mid grade when pulling, so that might have given a little boost, but not much. I'll bet your AC compressor was going full tilt for your whole trip, too, which mine was not.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Brand new and with the a/c on, makes sense, should improve a bit with time. What did the 4.6 pull with that trailer, 2013LTD?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Brand new and with the a/c on, makes sense, should improve a bit with time. What did the 4.6 pull with that trailer, 2013LTD?
Never really checked mpg with the 4.6,it was thirsty I know for sure.The 5.7 is just a lot better towing the 6k travel trailer.It tends to stay for the most part in 5th gear with an occasional drop to 4th.The 4.6 was wandering between gears alot unless we were on level ground.And yes a/c was on for sure and there were not alot of flat roads until we got to the coast.Not concerned about the milage just wondering about how to get a little more out of it without dropping to 55 mph.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Another note the 4.6 was used to pull that same trailer a 24 ft Weekend Warrior around 4000 miles and did well...was just time for an upgrade on the truck.

·
Registered
478 Posts
7500-8000# 30' toy hauler which I have towed all over the SW to SE and average 8-9 mpg. I have seen 10 mpg once or twice with calm conditions and some semi drafting. Truck typically stays in 5th with tow haul and will drop to 4th on inclines. Never use cruise and AC always on! Typically drive at 65 mph mileage will increase the slower I go but time is money in my world. I am guilty of 70-75 at times on flat grade or down hill.

It is what it is. It takes gas to pull weight and cheat the wind resistance which is the enemy not so much the weight.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Yeah, just curious. I figured my 4.6 was good up to 5k or so, just probably one gear lower on the hills than the 5.7. Which would make it more thirsty I'm guessing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Picked up our new 32' TT yesterday that weighs, according to the "yellow sticker", 5,970 lbs with full propane tanks, but no battery. A battery was installed by the dealer, so I'm guessing we are right at 6,000 lbs before loading anything. Had a 100 mile tow home on mostly flat terrain (I-95 in VA), and, according to the truck's onboard mpg monitor, we averaged 10.2 mpg driving at 60 - 65 the entire way.

On a side note, I wouldn't want to tow anything much heavier than this trailer once we get it loaded. A few times on the way home I was thinking about people on here stating that they're towing up around, or even over, 10k lbs, and I was just shaking my head. This was with a 4-point Equalizer WD hitch with no sway and no bounce.

·
Registered
40 Posts
On a side note, I wouldn't want to tow anything much heavier than this trailer once we get it loaded. A few times on the way home I was thinking about people on here stating that they're towing up around, or even over, 10k lbs, and I was just shaking my head. This was with a 4-point Equalizer WD hitch with no sway and no bounce.
Just wanted to note, the worst handling you'll probably ever experience with your TT is the trip home. The weight in the trailer is really not distributed to be driven empty. I'm betting that loaded up for your first camping trip it'll tow even better.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It towed great on the way home. It was perfectly straight, there was no porpoising, and there was no sway. Going 60 mph on a stretch of highway that has a 70 mph speed limit, we had everything imaginable blowing by us like we were standing still.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts