Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2013 Tundra DC w/5.7 and had a question about how the gas gauge reads. I only have a little over 700miles on the truck so far. When I ran the tank down and the gas light came on I stopped and filled the truck and it would only take 19 gallons. I believe the truck has a 26 gallon tank and was surprised to see the light come on with 7 gallons left. This past weekend I filled the tank with a little less than a half tank and it only took 11 gallons so I was thinking that the gauge callibration might be off a little. Has anyone else experienced this? BTW I love driving this truck and so far I am averaging 15mpg.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Exactly my experience.

Reactions: SoFla

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
6 gallon "reserve"

·
Registered
219 Posts
It is horrid! Hate it so much

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Think about it. If E was actually empty and the fuel light comes on you would have about 1.5 gallons left. For most of us that would be about 25 miles on the highway, less going uphill or towing. The way it is, you have at least 80 miles, or maybe 50 or so when towing.

But this has all been explained before....;)

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
If I thought the "Miles to empty" was actually accurate I might actually listen to it. But since its about as reliable as a Dodge I ignore it and just drive till I have gone 315-330 miles and then stop and put 20.5 gallons in the damn thing.

·
Banned
513 Posts
The reserve is much appreciated when your towing. I've ran 35 miles after reaching distance to empty 0 and the truck still only took 23 gallons.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
All the above and anyone will tell you there's a big difference between how much fuel a tank can hold and how much you should actually use. Running dry or extremely low is bad news(tm)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all of the replies. Not a big deal about the fuel light, I just like to know when it comes on how much further I can go. On the other hand I wish that 1/2 tank mark actually represented a half tank (13gls) but it really has only used about 10-11, I guess it just makes it appear that you are using more gas than you actually are. I had a Tacoma for the last 7 years and that gauge was spot on, each quarter really did represent about 5 gallons (21 gallon tank).

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
Why? :confused:

You know and understand after the first time. So moving forward you don't spend as much at the pump as 90% of the time I'm going to guess you are not on a long road trip, nor towing anything. If in the odd event you are away, at least you know you will have about 75 miles or more buffer. Not a bad deal really.

Just an all around non-issue for me, once I knew what I was looking at.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Have only filled up once since i have bought my truck. But my buddy has a 08 cm also and on a long trip towing my boat and him towing his he stopped 2 to my 1 for gas. I was using my 03 gmc duramax. He couldn't go more than 200 miles and the fuel light was on. Really inconvenient on a long trip towing at 70.

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
I just bought a 2013 Tundra DC w/5.7 and had a question about how the gas gauge reads. I only have a little over 700miles on the truck so far. When I ran the tank down and the gas light came on I stopped and filled the truck and it would only take 19 gallons. I believe the truck has a 26 gallon tank and was surprised to see the light come on with 7 gallons left. This past weekend I filled the tank with a little less than a half tank and it only took 11 gallons so I was thinking that the gauge callibration might be off a little. Has anyone else experienced this? BTW I love driving this truck and so far I am averaging 15mpg.
When this truck came out in 07 it was built for towing in mind hence the reserve.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Almost $1100 lol
Ill survive with stopping often

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
See the expensive option makes you hate the factory option much less.

If anyone can't keep it straight in their heads, you can always calibrate the gauge. A variable resistor and some wiring should do the trick.

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
You can calibrate it but why bother? You know what you got so I just fill up when it reaches 0 miles and have no issues with it. Knowing I can get 500 miles out of a tank I can care less about the guage. When I filled up and it had over 420 till empty I know the reserve will get me the extra 80 miles to reach 500 miles. When traveling doing 80mph on the interstate and knowing I got 17mpg on that 1,600 mile trip a few months ago I'm good with the gas guage. I know where I can stop and get a reasonable price gas and where the shell stations are.
http://s247.photobucket.com/user/Mi...a/MPGMileage1_zps299ac13f.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

1 - 18 of 18 Posts